By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Top 3 played PlayStation games by country. Japan is the only one with all 3 digital only f2p titles.

Sony have released the top 3 played games for certain countries on PlayStation this year. Japan is the only country where all three titles are digital only releases. If someone wanted context on what Japanese gamers are doing with their PS5 purchase when physical software sales from Famitsu is low here it is. I had no idea Apex was so big in Japan.

Overall Fortnite dominated appearing in the top 3 most played games of 22 of the 23 countries. FIFA 23 follows with 19 appearances.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/editorial/this-month-on-playstation/ultimate-review-of-the-year/

Japan

1. Apex Legends
  2. Genshin Impact
  3. Fortnite

South Africa

1. Fortnite
  2. EA SPORTS FIFA 23
  3. Call of Duty®

South Korea

1. Diablo IV
  2. EA Sports FIFA 23
  3. Elden Ring

Finland

1. Fortnite
  2. EA SPORTS FIFA 23
  3. Call of Duty®

France

1. Fortnite
  2. EA SPORTS FIFA 23
  3. Call of Duty®

Germany

1. Fortnite
  2. EA SPORTS FIFA 23
  3. Call of Duty®

Republic of Ireland

1. Fortnite
  2. EA SPORTS FIFA 23
  3. Call of Duty®

Italy

1. Fortnite
  2. EA SPORTS FIFA 23
  3. Grand Theft Auto V

Netherlands

1. Fortnite
  2. EA SPORTS FIFA 23
  3. Call of Duty®

Poland

1. EA SPORTS FIFA 23
  2. Fortnite
  3. Grand Theft Auto V

Spain

1. Fortnite
  2. EA SPORTS FIFA 23
  3. Call of Duty®

Sweden

1. Fortnite
  2. EA SPORTS FIFA 23
  3. Call of Duty®

United Kingdom

1. Fortnite
  2. EA SPORTS FIFA 23
  3. Call of Duty®

Saudi Arabia

1. Fortnite
  2. EA SPORTS FIFA 23
  3. Grand Theft Auto V

UAE

1. EA SPORTS FIFA 23
  2. Fortnite
  3. Grand Theft Auto V

Canada

1. Fortnite
  2. Call of Duty®
  3. Grand Theft Auto V

Mexico

1. Fortnite
  2. Call of Duty®
  3. EA SPORTS FIFA 23

USA

1. Fortnite
  2. Call of Duty®
  3. Grand Theft Auto V

Australia

1. Fortnite
  2. Call of Duty®
  3. EA SPORTS FIFA 23

New Zealand

1. Fortnite
  2. Grand Theft Auto V
  3. Call of Duty®

Argentina

1. Fortnite
  2. EA SPORTS FIFA 23
  3. Rocket League

Brazil

1. EA Sports FIFA 23
  2. Fortnite
  3. Grand Theft Auto V

Colombia

1. EA SPORTS FIFA 23
  2. Fortnite
  3. Call of Duty®

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 31 December 2023

Around the Network

Is it even a surprise that the three biggest F2P games are the most played?

BasilZero said:

Well some countries have non F2p as well, though it could explain a bit of the low software sales for PS5. Why you would buy an expensive PS5 for that with PS+ is beyond me though, a pc which costs less and has free online is in all regards the better option for these kind of games.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

BasilZero said:

Japan is the only country that's list is fully comprised of F2P titles.

Qwark said:

Well some countries have non F2p as well, though it could explain a bit of the low software sales for PS5. Why you would buy an expensive PS5 for that with PS+ is beyond me though, a pc which costs less and has free online is in all regards the better option for these kind of games.

You'd be surprised at spending habits for some people.

I know someone who bought a PS3, PS4 and PS5 - all to play GTA online and whatever NBA game is the latest - and nothing else.

Zippy6 said:

Japan is the only country that's list is fully comprised of F2P titles.

Yes, its already known that Japan isnt the same as it was over a decade ago. Mobile/F2P gaming has re-shaped the landscape there.

Around the Network

No first party Playstation game in the Top3 anywhere . No wonder Sony has these GAAS idea's.

Grand Theft Auto V is the only game I've played of any of the top 3 lists..and that was a decade ago on the PS3.

Japan loves GACHA stuff. Tho in general Japan and just Asia prefer physical media. Still selling CD OSTs for modern games. A million Hard Off stores all full of aisles and aisles of modern and retro games.

All these top 3 are depressing. Such horrible tastes.

Last edited by Leynos - on 31 December 2023

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Gosh that lack of diversity for most of them ...

Of course, EA Sports FC is there because football, Fortnite is the most popular F2P game in the west and COD with Warzone is prolly the most played shooter currently.

It just makes me curious what we'd see on a list like this for Nintendo Switch .... Probably Fortnite near the top too with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Zelda TOTK I believe

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:

Gosh that lack of diversity for most of them ...

Of course, EA Sports FC is there because football, Fortnite is the most popular F2P game in the west and COD with Warzone is prolly the most played shooter currently.

It just makes me curious what we'd see on a list like this for Nintendo Switch .... Probably Fortnite near the top too with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Zelda TOTK I believe

It's always going to be the biggest multiplayer titles that top the list. People will play hundreds of hours of a games like FIFA, CoD, GTA and Fortnite online. A SP game is never going to make the list as players would have to play through the title multiple times in the same year to get hours like that.

5 million people playing 1 hour a day of a multiplayer title would be more hours than 80 million people playing through Spiderman 2 once.

Maybe ToTK makes it on Switch but only if games like Apex, Overwatch and Rocket League are unpopular on Switch compared to other platforms. SP games are at an unbelievably large disadvantage. Minecraft might have a shot on Switch.

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 31 December 2023