2016, Game of the Year Runoff

Pokémon Go 6 12.24%

Dark Souls III 13 26.53%

Persona 5 13 26.53%

Doom 16 32.65%

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana 1 2.04%

Total:49

Rip and vote until it is done.

For 2017 you really should put Yakuza 0 in the mix. Not that I expect it to win but it is the game that led to the resurgence of the series in the west according to SEGA. So it is important.

Last edited by Leynos - on 16 December 2023

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Dark Souls III still, no change.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

There were a lot of strong contenders released in 2017, and they won't all fit into the poll.  For example, I remember several people voting for Divinity: Original Sin in 2014.  Well, most people consider the second game to be even better, but I doubt it will make it into the poll, because there are so many strong games in 2017.

I expect it to be more like the 1991 vote.  There will be a bunch of impressive games and yet one game will still clobber them all.

You mean, Zelda will win over a game that actually established a new genre? Yeah, I agree, pretty similar. ;)

Doom for the runoff vote.

HoloDust said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

There were a lot of strong contenders released in 2017, and they won't all fit into the poll.  For example, I remember several people voting for Divinity: Original Sin in 2014.  Well, most people consider the second game to be even better, but I doubt it will make it into the poll, because there are so many strong games in 2017.

I expect it to be more like the 1991 vote.  There will be a bunch of impressive games and yet one game will still clobber them all.

You mean, Zelda will win over a game that actually established a new genre? Yeah, I agree, pretty similar. ;)

DDLC for establishing the literature based suprise horror genre?

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network

With these games remaining I vote for DOOM!

For the first time I have to abstain, not my cup of tea.

I didn't enjoy Doom, haven't played the others except for trying out Pokemon Go on PC. Without the gimmick of walking around (moving a cursor around on the map instead), not a fun game at all, just an addictive game play loop. And outside it looked like the zombie hordes had come :p

I still cycled a lot recreationally in 2016 and had to dodge tons and tons of people not looking where they were going, blocking pathways, gateways, mindlessly walking out in front of me. I have enough trouble with pedestrians not paying attention at where they are going without Pokemon go.

Doom, but I don't like tye direction the story went with the sequel. Even the original Doom timeline wasn't as cynical. -_-

Can’t vote for any runoff game.

Definitely Doom. Such a fun and refreshing new take on classic FPS design. It's definitely Top 3 for its generation.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").