By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Hellblade II new trailer

Yeah for me also this is one of the only current gen titles that doesn't just look like a really good PS4 game.

The combat looks nicely brutal and intense as well from what's been shown; more like an actual struggle for survival. Combat in the first game was good, but this looks like they've kicked it up a notch.

The main draw for me in the first game was the story, which to this day is the best I've experienced in a video game; hopefully the sequel can live up to this.

Around the Network

Looks amazing. I still think crosd generation games have held current consoles back. We haven't seen anything yet. Part of the reason I'm skeptical the switch 2 will run AAA current generation titles. Graphics are going to be a massive jump and Hellblade 2 and Alan Wake 2 are great examples.

Looks amazing. I still think crosd generation games have held current consoles back. We haven't seen anything yet. Part of the reason I'm skeptical the switch 2 will run AAA current generation titles. Graphics are going to be a massive jump and Hellblade 2 and Alan Wake 2 are great examples.

Chrkeller said:

I mean, there's a big power gap between Switch and PS4/XBO, yet Switch still ran games like Hellblade 1, Witcher 3, Dying Light, Doom 2016/Eternal, Wolfenstein II and Youngblood, Hogwarts legacy, etc.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 December 2023

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

I mean, there's a big power gap between Switch and PS4/XBO, yet Switch still ran games like Hellblade 1, Witcher 3, Dying Light, Doom 2016/Eternal, Wolfenstein II and Youngblood, Hogwarts legacy, etc.

True and I should have been more clear.  Many think the gap will be smaller with the switch 2.  I think it will be about the same, with switch 2 ports being clearly inferior and with lots of sacrifices.  

But I don't want to derail the thread too much.  The larger point is cross generation titles have given the false impression current hardware was a small jump.  I think hellblade demonstrates the jump is quite significant.

Around the Network

It looks really good.

I tried the first one a bit. Played up to a part where you fight a monster inside of a burning house or something. But my PC was struggling to run it, so I had to give up.

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

True and I should have been more clear.  Many think the gap will be smaller with the switch 2.  I think it will be about the same, with switch 2 ports being clearly inferior and with lots of sacrifices.  

But I don't want to derail the thread too much.  The larger point is cross generation titles have given the false impression current hardware was a small jump.  I think hellblade demonstrates the jump is quite significant.

Yeah the jump from PS4/XBO to PS5/XBS seems quite underwhelming thus far and I wonder how much of that is due to games and engines still targeting 2013 hardware.

Hellblade II looks significantly better than most PS5/XBS games, presumably because as a UE5 current gen exclusive it's untethered to legacy technology.

Honestly, I feel like the jumps between gens have been getting smaller for a while now simply due to diminishing returns; something Switch 2 could benefit from.

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

Yeah the jump from PS4/XBO to PS5/XBS seems quite underwhelming thus far and I wonder how much of that is due to games and engines still targeting 2013 hardware.

Hellblade II looks significantly better than most PS5/XBS games, presumably because as a UE5 current gen exclusive it's untethered to legacy technology.

Honestly, I feel like the jumps between gens have been getting smaller for a while now simply due to diminishing returns; something Switch 2 could benefit from.

I think diminishing returns is an interesting topic, because I don't think it is diminishing as much as consoles require additional hardware for full benefit.

Going from the ps1 to ps2 it didn't matter what TV and speakers people were using.  The difference was just that noticeable.

I think going from previous gen to current gen is very much TV and speakers dependant.  If someone is using a 60 hz 30 inch TCL LCD with tv speakers...  yeah the jump is small.  However is someone has a 65 inch 120 hz OLED with dolby atmos speakers.....  jump is much bigger.  Just my opinion.

Switch 2 will be day 1, Nintendo is my favorite.  But I think it will struggle with AAA current gen games.  File size and memory speed can be crippling.  Heck my rtx 4070 isn't great with something like Cyber or wake 2.  

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

I think diminishing returns is an interesting topic, because I don't think it is diminishing as much as consoles require additional hardware for full benefit.

Going from the ps1 to ps2 it didn't matter what TV and speakers people were using.  The difference was just that noticeable.

I think going from previous gen to current gen is very much TV and speakers dependant.  If someone is using a 60 hz 30 inch TCL LCD with tv speakers...  yeah the jump is small.  However is someone has a 65 inch 120 hz OLED with dolby atmos speakers.....  jump is much bigger.  Just my opinion.

Switch 2 will be day 1, Nintendo is my favorite.  But I think it will struggle with AAA current gen games.  File size and memory speed can be crippling.  Heck my rtx 4070 isn't great with something like Cyber or wake 2.  

To an extent I can agree, but even on a good TV, going from 1080p to 4K just isn't the leap that going from 480p to 720p was back in the day, while technologies such as raytracing take a huge amount of power to deliver a difference that can be fairly subtle vs a well implemented baked solution. 

Compared to PC ports, ports to Switch 2 will have the advantage of being able to optimize for a specific set of specs, as well as an audience that are more accepting of substantial cutbacks. On Switch 1 for instance we saw ports of games whose minimum specs were, on paper, way beyond the Tegra X1, but which still made the transition in decent form.

Hellblade II is owned my Microsoft now, so that may be off the table, but in theory if it was to be ported, (or Alan Wake II or Cyberpunk) it would simply need more in-depth reworking, similar to the recent Switch port of Hogwarts Legacy where they remade a lot of the assets and effects.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 15 December 2023

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

To an extent I can agree, but even on a good TV, going from 1080p to 4K just isn't the leap that going from 480p to 720p was back in the day, while technologies such as raytracing take a huge amount of power to deliver a difference that can be fairly subtle vs a well implemented baked solution. 

Compared to PC ports, ports to Switch 2 will have the advantage of being able to optimize for a specific set of specs, as well as an audience that are more accepting of substantial cutbacks. On Switch 1 for instance we saw ports of games whose minimum specs were, on paper, way beyond the Tegra X1, but which still made the transition in decent form.

Hellblade II is owned my Microsoft now, so that may be off the table, but in theory if it was to be ported, (or Alan Wake II or Cyberpunk) it would simply need more in-depth reworking, similar to the recent Switch port of Hogwarts Legacy where they remade a lot of the assets and effects.

I fully agree the jump to 4k isn't impressive.  1440p is a sweet spot.  To me there is where OLED kicks in.  The ps5 has much better lighting and volumetric effects than the ps4.  But OLED is way superior to LCD for those kinds of effects.  One of the major deficiencies for the switch is surround sound.  It is terrible on the switch but amazing on the ps5.  But if someone is using TV speakers that bump is negated.

I think any game can be ported to any system.  Just a matter of how many sacrifices need to be made and how important tech is to someone.  My TV supports 120 fps and personally I view 120 fps as game changing.  I wouldn't buy a switch port over PC and drop from 120 fps to 30 fps.  But that is all personal preference.

Either way, I think we are going to start seeing some impressive games now that cross generation software is a thing of the past.