Bioshock Infinite 8 11.94%

GTA V 11 16.42%

Tomb Raider 2 2.99%

The Last of Us 21 31.34%

A Link Between Worlds 10 14.93%

Super Mario 3D World 3 4.48%

Other (please specify) 8 11.94%

Total:67

I've played the remaster of The Last of Us and the "remake" on PS5. Still, the rules for the voting are clear. The Last of Us gets my pick for GOTY 2013. It's no masterpiece, but it's an awesome game with a legendary story.
Additional shoutouts to
The Wolf Among Us: Great story and entertaining point and clikc.
Super Mario 3D World: One day I'll have to play the Switch port with Bowser's Fury but the base game on Wii U is great.
A Link Between Worlds: This game helped me get into Zelda more.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

THE ONLY RIGHT ANSWERS. FUCK GTA. FUCK TLOU.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I think we know that Grand Theft Auto V was the most commercially successful game released in 2013 by a wide margin, and there are some good reasons for that that have everything to do with the great care and love with which it replicates the details and feel of a real American city at a specific point in time and the variety of things it offers the player to do within that context. There's lots I like about it in that vein and a few things I don't care for. At the end of the day though, I had many other favorites that year that I liked better because they liked me better, including titles that would become my second and fourth-favorite games of all time. In fact, 2013 was my favorite year in gaming since 1994. Some of the titles I enjoyed the most from that year included...

1. The Last of Us
2. Gone Home
3. Papers, Please <-- Is it an alternative past or a glimpse of the future? Tough to tell.
4. The Stanley Parable
5. Rayman Legends <-- I mean...those rhythm levels especially...just yes!!
6. BioShock Infinite
7. Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch*
8. Tomb Raider
9. Kentucky Route Zero (Acts I and II)
10. Super Mario 3D World
11. Depression Quest <-- Thanks, Gamergate. You basically made me play it.
12. TowerFall
13. Puppeteer
14. Grand Theft Auto V <-- It's still worth a mention here.

*Though it came out in Japan in 2011, I can't resist listing it here too because it came out in '13 Stateside, which is when I actually played it.

My favorite game from 2013 is The Last of Us. It's my second-favorite game of all time and I don't think I realistically need to explain the reasons why I love it so much to this particular crowd, but I will say just a few things here about this choice. Like I've said a number of times now over the course of these threads, the first time I was introduced to this medium back in 1986, my young brain had expected something like a movie or a show I could interact with. Such a thing just wasn't feasible with the technology available at the time and I was somewhat disappointed by that. As the years went on though, I kept coming back to that dream as more and more games drawing on a real cinematic flair began to appear. The Last of Us though brought the concept of a cinematic gaming experience to an entirely different level of realization than I'd ever experienced before. It was absolutely breathtaking in its attention to detail and care to accurately replicate even the very smallest of facial movements. It's in the way the camera lingers on especially poignant movement to capture subtle emotional changes, the way the ambiently subdued music fades in and out organically, both capturing and enhancing the mood of a moment in time and so much more.

More than all that though, so many stories in video games have been about moral ambiguity, but so often they simply give the player "good" and "bad" character arcs to go through and choose between wherein, in truth, the "right" choice is obvious and rewarded while the "bad" choice is equally obvious and penalized. The Last of Us acknowledges the reality that making everything obvious and interactive isn't always the best course. While it's clear what Joel should do in the end, he instead, without the player's involvement in the decision, does instead what most of us would actually do in real life without incentivizing us to pretend we're superhuman and there's something exponentially more powerful about simply allowing us to process that and recognize Joel as an agent in his own right. The Last of Us doesn't pretend that there are always easy answers or that you'll always make the "right" choices.

I guess I'm also kinda biased in favor of TLOU for some of the particular relationships that unfold in the course of your adventure. By now, those who have followed my posts on these threads will have some general idea of what my relationship to my own dad was like and as such will probably understand why I instinctively latched on to Ellie's kind of adoptive daughter type relationship to Joel. There was in a way something there that I just yearned for, like being able to earn some real paternal love, and in Ellie a young female character I felt more similar to (at least at the analogous age) than really any other I'd met in a video game before. The pun-ishing sense of humor, the general tomboyishness, and the paralyzing fear of abandonment all felt exceptionally familiar. Even some of her tastes in video games bore a certain resemblance, as did her lesbian sexuality, which itself was not a common thing to feature sympathetically and without fetishization in games at the time. In point of fact, the Left Behind DLC released the following year offers quite possibly the downright sweetest (if ultimately bittersweet) lesbian romance in this whole medium, in my personal opinion.

That said, Left Behind, like I just mentioned, was actually released in 2014. That was when we actually learned that Ellie was gay. Gone Home, by contrast, came out in 2013 itself. I still consider Gone Home my fourth-favorite video game ever to this day. It's sort of become my go-to comfort game when I'm feeling extra extra down or anxious. I latched onto it strongly on my first playthrough because I'd never seen a game story that centered on sapphic love (without gross fetishization) before.

Set on a dark and stormy night in June of 1995, Gone Home is played from the (first-person) perspective of one Katie Greenbriar who, on returning from overseas to her family's new home in fictional Boon County, Oregon, discovers an unnerving note on the door revealing her younger sister, Samantha (or "Sam" for short) to be missing. Taking over control of Katie, the player walks into a curiously empty house to search her out. While the mystery of Sam's whereabouts hangs over the entire exploration that follows, it soon becomes evident that you are in no danger and can and should relax and take your time uncovering the backgrounds, personalities, and significant events in the lives of the Greenbriars that have led up to this point; a feat you'll accomplish by carefully examining the decor and objects of its rooms and hallways (nearly all of which are clickable) for bits and pieces of insight.

While the aforementioned implied player mission exists as motivation, the game has no defined goals. It's about discovery for its own sake. I like that about it! I like the devotion to authenticity that these mundane slice-of-life adventures feature because they are quite rare and often especially relatable. Gone Home, in this connection and others, reminds me in certain defining ways of the Theresa Duncan games (Chop Suey, Smarty, and Zero Zero) I used to love back in the 1990s, as well as, in a way, the Nancy Drew mysteries I used to enjoy playing around the turn of the century. It's sort of like if those concepts were fused into one game and polished into 3D with some of the strongest voice acting in this entire medium and most treasured music from my youth.

Speaking of, I was very much into the riot grrl underground (yes, that's a proper spelling) and a participant in the movement back in the day. Gone Home's fairly deep dive into that oft-forgotten world within the contemporaneous punk scene stands out as something that only this game has ever included before and a central part of what makes it so special to me. The developers' depth of understanding of, and respect for, early '90s teen lesbian/feminist culture didn't just surprise me when first I experienced it, it completely overwhelmed me with emotion. To put matters in perspective for you, Gone Home was originally released the same month that Grand Theft Auto V was and the latter really did contemporaneously sum up where the relationship between video games and women was at the time just in general. I felt hated, straight up. There's no nice way of putting it. And then here was this proverbial torrential downpour of acknowledgement and validation in the midst of that climate. I will never ever forget how special it felt to get to experience that, especially in the view of its core message that home is not a space defined by your residence, but wherever you find love and acceptance. More than any other one title, Gone Home is the one that made an indie gamer out of me and set me down my current path of mind toward this medium.

But there's much more to Gone Home than just its romance.

Spoiler!
Another one of Gone Home's most compelling mysteries, for example, revolves around the "haunting" of Katie and Sam's father Terry by his history of being sexually abused as a child in this very setting and all the attendant consequences that this has for his relationship to both his wife Janice and, seemingly, his attitude toward same-sex intimacy itself, as applied to Sam and her life and love. The story of his redemption is so deeply human and uplifting that the premise of his final book still gets me all misty-eyed to this day even though I've played through the game countless times at this point. And yet there's a deliberate irony to the game's conclusion in that his redemption has come too late to save another important relationship; the nuances of life represented honestly, to a bittersweet end. It's too bad that not everyone uncovers the whole of this side story because it adds a welcome layer of gravitas to the experience.

While it would be easy to build a case that there are stronger stories about sapphic love in this medium today, the compassionate and well-rounded honesty of Gone Home's portrayal of where that stood in the context of 1995 and the way it imbues progressively greater meaning onto writings and objects noticed early on as you progress and unearth more revelations about the lives of the Greenbriars still stands the test of time incredibly well for me. There's a reason why you can see, and feel, nods to it in much bigger games that came out afterward ranging from Life is Strange to Uncharted 4. There are precious few gaming experiences truly like Gone Home, and fewer still that have felt as personalized and loving to me.

Here's my favorite review of this little cult classic for a greater sense of what's to love about it:

ANYWAY, I just wanted to single out those two titles for a special mention. What haven't I mentioned that's worth adding? The Tomb Raider remake from '13 was my new favorite game in the franchise. I greatly appreciated the increased humanization (and yest, it must be said, de-sexualization) of Lara as a character here more than anything else. Super Mario 3D World actually remains one of my all-time favorite titles in the mainline Super Mario platformers. I loved the selectable character variety and getting to play the game I'd expected Super Mario 64 to be when I first got it finally.

I think that sums it up.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 05 December 2023

2013 was actually quite a good year for games

Bioshock Infinite had the production values and was a sight to behold despite the story falling flat. It also had a terrible end boss fight, which is what I remember the last part of the game for. Bioshock 2 became my favorite after playing the 3rd one, for the best game play and level design in the series.

GTA 5 I held off playing until it came out on PS4 in 2014 (despite R* claiming it wouldn't lol) It was good, great city, but still felt lacking compared to San Andreas. I hope R* can finally make shoot outs fun in GTA 6 as I skipped most in GTA 5. Thank you for 'skip to next section' after (deliberately) failing the annoying shootouts. Driving, car chases, plane chases, story, environment, all awesome. Shooting sucked.

Assassin's Creed Black Flag is my favorite AC game. Loved, loved, exploring the seas. Awesome naval battles.

This game needs a sequel. I tried to find the same magic in Sea of Thieves but it did not deliver.

Beyond Two Souls build on Heavy Rain and actually has quite a decent story. Looked great as well.

Rayman Legends was another great co-op game. Very enjoyable.

The game we spend most time on however was Lego City Undercover. Between the 4 of us we played the game for over 600 hours combined. It was great on the WiiU gamepad. Map in your hand, use the touch screen to set waypoints and select quests. So many movie references, best Lego game to this date.

Another year where smaller games were just as good if not better.

Outlast was very enjoyable and actually managed to be scary

The one game where film grain actually made sense and enhanced the gameplay

Brothers: A Tale of Two sons was brilliant. Story telling through game play, through the controls themself. Great story.

Guacamelee! combined some tough platforming with great beat em up. Also with co-op, which I needed, the combat was challenging. Great art design, well paced map, very polished over all.

The Stanley Parable was a treat. Especially after the illusion of choice of TWD series. Well timed.

One game had all the feels, a great story that sticks with you, amazing characters and paced so well I played it on PS3, PS4 and PS5 from start to finish.
Playing part 1 again after playing part 2 makes a lot of things a lot more clear, lot of foreshadowing in part 1

That's how you do an origin story, looking at you Tombraider.

Great world building

And the complex relationship between Joel and Ellie

All coming full circle in the end

The Last of Us deserves goty. I'm looking forward to season 2 of the TV adaptation and to play part 2 again on ps5.

Great year with so many great games.

I played

DOTA 2 (unfortunately)

Assassin's Creed IV (playing it now)

Bioshock Infinite 3 (love it so much)

GTA V (I'm about to play it)

A Link Between Worlds (first 3DS game, love it)

Super Mario 3D World (enjoyed it)

My vote goes to Bioshock Infinite, really enjoyed it.

Around the Network

Great year. I am very surprised to see Bioshock Infinite do well since it rarely gets love on forums, but I agree. The top 3 here are all timers and pretty much on the same level for me.

1. Bioshock Infinite
  2. Battlefield 4
  3. Super Mario 3D World
  4. Grand Theft Auto V
  5. The Last of Us
  6. Dead Rising 3
  7. 7 Days to Die
  8. Tomb Raider
  9. Valdis Story
  10. King Arthur’s Gold

GTA was an amazing game. It felt very weird though. I mean I played a thousand hours of it but it usually made me feel off emotionally.

Im voting for AC IV. Even though it lacked horses, it made up for it with vast oceans to explore aboard your own pirate ship in the Caribbean!

Ill go with Bioshock Infinite. Great year for gaming.

One of those mixed bags years for me.

Tomb Raider Reboot should've been something I would really love, given that TR is one of my all-time favourite gaming IPs. And it was the best 3rd person cover shooter I ever played (and I don't like them at all). But it was just a horrible Tomb Raider game, TR in name only, with none of what actually made TR what it was.

I tried to like Bioshock Infinite, but I gave up after about two days of playing it. I don't know, it seemed like a great game, but I just couldn't get into it (and I liked Bioshock 1 quite a bit).

GTA V was something I was looking forward to, and while I've enjoyed it, it didn't manage to be better for me than San Andreas (with only Trevor parts resembling the feel of SA), and I even liked Sleeping Dogs from 2012 more than it.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag was right up my alley, being placed in Age of Sail in the Caribbeans. Or I thought so. I liked the "Assassin's Creed" parts of the gameplay, but naval combat was just way too arcadey for my taste - this is probably my problem, since I've played games set in that period throughout my whole gaming life, and always appreciated a more realistic approach to ship combat of that period. I've managed to tolerate it for some time, but eventually I quit the game for good.

The Last of Us was something I was suspicious about from early on - while I'm a sucker for the zombie apocalypse genre, that early bits of the game I've seen were giving me a big red flashing warning sign. It eventually turned out that, for me, that was correct sentiment - while I appreciated the production values, I didn't like it much, gameplay for me was too shallow and the story was just barely managing to keep me interested in going further. It actually made me stay away from games that were "like Last of Us" for some time, almost making me miss A Plague Tale: Innocence when it launched.

Metro: Last Light was a worthy successor to Metro 2033, but it focused more on gun play, so it lost a lot of that survival horror feel of the first game. Still liked it quite a bit.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon was a pleasant surprise - a standalone "expansion" (I don't quite remember, but I don't think it has anything to do with Far Cry 3 at all) that is set in a weird world of 80s VHS "lasers and dinosaurs" aesthetics. Pure silly fun.

Rayman Legends was another worthy successor, but it was, for the most part, more of the same.

DOTA2 was a welcome addition to MOBA genre, being the official sequel to the original Warcraft 3 mod. I played the original, but phased out of that by the time DOTA2 hit the market, so can't really say much about it.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is something I really liked, though in retrospect, after playing A Link's Awakening remake, I found it to be not as good as some of the 2D classics.

State of Decay was a really pleasant surprise for me - it was A/AA game set in a zombie apocalypse, with a little bit of GTA-esque feel to it, with a lot of engaging mechanisms and fun gameplay. Hitting zombies with a car door in a drive by never gets old.

Indie games had quite a year - Papers Please, Rogue Legacy, Don't Starve, The Swapper, Risk of Rain, The Stanley Parable, Kentucky Route Zero EP1 (the last two being my favourites, both being very quirky in their own unique ways)

2013 was the beginning of CRPG revival - two Kickstarter games that were sequels to their 80s/90s originals were launched to a success that year, starting CRPG second renaissance - Shadowrun Returns and Wasteland 2.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is my second favourite game from this year - it had an interesting mechanism of the player controlling both characters at the same time with different gamepad sticks, and while not heavy on the puzzles, its gameplay and story were quite satisfying.

My favourite from this year is Kerbal Space Program, a space flight simulation game about researching and developing your rockets/spacecrafts (and then piloting them) to send your virtual astronauts to missions in space throughout their solar system. It was Early Access (with official release in 2015), but with support for mods it got upgraded by the community very quickly with a lot of content. It's hard to think that making your first stable rocket and achieving orbit would be such a thrill, but there it was. Loved it then, love it now, played it for years and years to come.

Ultimately, it is hard for me to give my vote to anything this year - but though I personally don't find GTA V to be that good, on overall it probably stands out with its sheer amount of content and production values, so, reluctantly, that's where my vote goes.

2013 was much more of a quieter year for me. My vote goes to “Other” - Metro: Last Light. 

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition