By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Switch's successor outsell the original Switch?

Pemalite said:
zorg1000 said:

Hybrid-a thing made by combining two different elements

Switch is a hybrid

Means my Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra is a hybrid.
Means my Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 is a hybrid.
Means my Microsoft Surface laptop is a Hybrid.

It means that literally every tablet, phone and laptop I have owned in the last 20 years is essentially a Hybrid.

They aren't... But you get where I am going with it.

They are mobile devices with output/dock functionality, that's it.

The Switch literally is built 100% around mobile technology.

What does it take for something to be considered a hybrid?

Do all of those devices you listed come with everything needed in the box to have a console experience or do they require optional accessories?

Are devices like the Nvidia Shield TV or PlayStation TV portables since they have the same mobile technology as Shield Tablet & PlayStation Vita?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

@zorg1000 At least 120m would be my guess, with potential to be as high as 140m.

Besides the pandemic boost, another reason why I feel Switch sales would be lower is if there was no pandemic, I feel we would've gotten Switch 2 a year earlier (so basically right now). To be fair, we also would've gotten heavy sellers like TOTK & Splatoon 3 earlier. Also, even though I said besides the pandemic boost, my reasoning that I just listed was possibly influenced by the pandemic.....

Shadow1980 said:

No, and I think everyone knows the reason why I would think that. But I'm not going to say it because... wait...

Norion said:

the boost it got from the pandemic

We... we really can say it out loud now without being ridiculed.

I'M FREE! HAHA!

*ahem*

Yeah. What they said. The Switch 2 won't outsell the Switch mainly because the latter got a big boost from the COVID bump.

The Switch formula is a guaranteed hit, though, and I think it will sell very well, probably somewhere in the 110-130M range. As long as Nintendo keeps delivering on the software front, the can play it safe and still expect to sell well over 100M every generation. They don't need to do anything massively radical anymore, just successively more powerful versions of the Switch.

Yeah looking back it is wild that people were genuinely arguing that Animal Crossing was as big or an even bigger factor in Switch sales exploding that year than a massive global phenomenon that forced people indoors and pushed them towards forms of entertainment like video games.

zorg1000 said:

Since the pandemic boost has been mentioned quite a bit, what do you guys think Switch sales would currently be without it?

For 2020 it probably would've finished somewhere in the early 20's so I'd guess a fair amount lower. Still would've for sure gone past 130m in the end though unless it delayed the launch of the successor by a year.

Shadow1980 said:

No, and I think everyone knows the reason why I would think that. But I'm not going to say it because... wait...

Torpoleon said:

Honestly, 120-130 is probably where the Switch would've ended if it wasn't for the covid bump (maybe 135-140m at best).

Norion said:

the boost it got from the pandemic

Otter said:

The Switch was phenomenon which benefitted both from the pandemic

Slownenberg said:

Also Covid helped boost sales for a couple years as well.

I'M FREE! HAHA!

*ahem*

Yeah. What they said. The Switch 2 won't outsell the Switch mainly because the latter got a big boost from the COVID bump.

The Switch formula is a guaranteed hit, though, and I think it will sell very well, probably somewhere in the 110-130M range. As long as Nintendo keeps delivering on the software front, the can play it safe and still expect to sell well over 100M every generation. They don't need to do anything massively radical anymore, just successively more powerful versions of the Switch.

I know you were waiting many years for this mate. Enjoy the moment, cheers

Norion said:
Shadow1980 said:

I'M FREE! HAHA!

*ahem*

Yeah looking back it is wild that people were genuinely arguing that Animal Crossing was as big or an even bigger factor in Switch sales exploding that year than a massive global phenomenon that forced people indoors and pushed them towards forms of entertainment like video games.

zorg1000 said:

Since the pandemic boost has been mentioned quite a bit, what do you guys think Switch sales would currently be without it?

For 2020 it probably would've finished somewhere in the early 20's so I'd guess a fair amount lower. Still would've for sure gone past 130m in the end though unless it delayed the launch of the successor by a year.

I’m curious what games were delayed because of Covid, looking at holiday 2020 they had no massive titles and I have a hard time believing they would willingly not have one.

10m+ Q4 titles

2017-Mario Odyssey

2018-Mario Party+Pokemon Lets Go+Smash Bros

2019-Luigi’s Mansion+Ring Fit+Pokemon Sword/Shield

2020-

2021-Mario Party+Pokemon BD/SP

2022-Pokemon Scarlet/Violet

2023-Mario Wonder

Every holiday quarter has had at least 1 and as many as 3 games that go on to sell over 10 million units except for 2020 where the biggest game was Hyrule Warriors 2 which sold 4 million which makes me believe something was pushed back.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

It would be essentially the same.  What happened is that Switch did get a boost of a few million in 2020, but these sales would have happened eventually anyway, just in later years.  My evidence comes from both Animal Crossing sales and South Korea sales.

Switch hardware is not the only thing that got a sales bump during COVID.  Animal Crossing: New Horizons also got a big sales bump.  However, previous Animal Crossing games tend to sell differently.  They tend to have very strong legs without being frontloaded the first year.  New Horizons has decent legs, but not in comparison to the amazing sales that it got in 2020.  Usually an Animal Crossing game will have better legs in comparison to first year sales.

However, South Korea is different.  South Korea did not have serious lockdowns like the rest of the world.  They had suffered other pandemics prior to COVID, and so they were prepared for COVID and did not have serious lockdowns like the rest of the world did in 2020.  When you look at the South Korea sales charts, you will find that Animal Crossing: New Horizons had very good legs, often appearing in the weekly top 5 in both 2021 and 2022.  In South Korea, New Horizons sold more like previous Animal Crossing games with stronger legs in later years compared to sales in the first year.

So, what I am saying is that Animal Crossing: New Horizons would have sold around the same amount, lifetime, regardless of COVID.  What COVID did to New Horizons is that it sold more games in 2020 and less in later years, but without COVID lifetime sales would have been about the same.  Similarly, Switch got a bump in 2020, but these sales would have happened anyway.  There was simply more Switch sales in 2020 at the expense of sales in later years.

zorg1000 said:
Norion said:
zorg1000 said:

I’m curious what games were delayed because of Covid, looking at holiday 2020 they had no massive titles and I have a hard time believing they would willingly not have one.

10m+ Q4 titles

2017-Mario Odyssey

2020-

2023-Mario Wonder

Every holiday quarter has had at least 1 and as many as 3 games that go on to sell over 10 million units except for 2020 where the biggest game was Hyrule Warriors 2 which sold 4 million which makes me believe something was pushed back.

Mario Party Superstars might've been 2020 originally. Two years would've been a short gap but considering there had been an MP game every year from 2015-2018 it wouldn't be abnormal for that series.

Norion said:
zorg1000 said:

10m+ Q4 titles

2017-Mario Odyssey

2020-

2023-Mario Wonder

Mario Party Superstars might've been 2020 originally. Two years would've been a short gap but considering there had been an MP game every year from 2015-2018 it wouldn't be abnormal for that series.

I also have wonder if either Pokemon BD/SP or Legends were originally planned for 2020, those two titles releasing 2 months apart along with January being a random month for a Game Freak developed Pokemon title makes me think that possibly one was planned for Nov 2020 and the other Nov 2021. 

The_Liquid_Laser said:
zorg1000 said:

It would be essentially the same.  What happened is that Switch did get a boost of a few million in 2020, but these sales would have happened eventually anyway, just in later years.  My evidence comes from both Animal Crossing sales and South Korea sales.

Switch hardware is not the only thing that got a sales bump during COVID.  Animal Crossing: New Horizons also got a big sales bump.  However, previous Animal Crossing games tend to sell differently.  They tend to have very strong legs without being frontloaded the first year.  New Horizons has decent legs, but not in comparison to the amazing sales that it got in 2020.  Usually an Animal Crossing game will have better legs in comparison to first year sales.

However, South Korea is different.  South Korea did not have serious lockdowns like the rest of the world.  They had suffered other pandemics prior to COVID, and so they were prepared for COVID and did not have serious lockdowns like the rest of the world did in 2020.  When you look at the South Korea sales charts, you will find that Animal Crossing: New Horizons had very good legs, often appearing in the weekly top 5 in both 2021 and 2022.  In South Korea, New Horizons sold more like previous Animal Crossing games with stronger legs in later years compared to sales in the first year.

So, what I am saying is that Animal Crossing: New Horizons would have sold around the same amount, lifetime, regardless of COVID.  What COVID did to New Horizons is that it sold more games in 2020 and less in later years, but without COVID lifetime sales would have been about the same.  Similarly, Switch got a bump in 2020, but these sales would have happened anyway.  There was simply more Switch sales in 2020 at the expense of sales in later years.

Animal Crossing on Switch has sold 4x more than the DS game which had a bigger install base. The only thing which comes close in comparison of growth is Breathe of the wild which has almost sold 3x Twilight Princess but BOTW had a massive overhaul in gameplay/aesthetic to appeal to new audiences whereas AC Switch was essentially more of the same compared to new leaf on the DS. The Pandemic may have shorted its legs but that's irrelevant if it sold in that year 2x more what a normal AC game would sell LT.

And it's typical for Switch games to peak over their successors but again nothing in comparison what we saw with Animal Crossing 

The Pandemic ignited a momentum in Switch sales which is still being felt now. Pure speculation but I think the difference in sales it would made is like 15m/20m and without it I think the Switch would not only of had an earlier & lower peak but a steeper decline and replacement. 

Otter said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Animal Crossing on Switch has sold 4x more than the DS game which had a bigger install base. The only thing which comes close in comparison of growth is Breathe of the wild which has almost sold 3x Twilight Princess but BOTW had a massive overhaul in gameplay/aesthetic to appeal to new audiences whereas AC Switch was essentially more of the same compared to new leaf on the DS. The Pandemic may have shorted its legs but that's irrelevant if it sold in that year 2x more what a normal AC game would sell LT.

And it's typical for Switch games to peak over their successors but again nothing in comparison what we saw with Animal Crossing 

The Pandemic ignited a momentum in Switch sales which is still being felt now. Pure speculation but I think the difference in sales it would made is like 15m/20m and without it I think the Switch would not only of had an earlier & lower peak but a steeper decline and replacement. 

Zelda went from 8 million to 31 million

3D Mario went from 13 million to 27 million

Smash Bros went from 13 million to 32 million

Mario Kart went from 37 million to 57 million

Animal Crossing went from 13 million to 43 million

A bunch of the major Switch titles had massive growth over their previously best selling entries, and many of them were “more of the same” as you put it. I’m sure the pandemic helped but I think Animal Crossing was going to have a massive breakout regardless.