By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How will be Switch 2 performance wise?

Which console will be close in performance?

XB1 13 8.78%

PS4 49 33.11%

PS4 pro 47 31.76%

XB1X 8 5.41%

XBox Series S 24 16.22%

PS5 3 2.03%

XBox Series X 4 2.70%

Total:148

The issue with the $450 price is that it gets them too close to XS/PS5 pricing, and closer to whatever SX2/PS6 pricing will be.

$300 Switch compared to $400 disc-less/$500 standard PS5 really helped it sell well. Being $50 more expensive than a PS5 disc-less and only $50 cheaper than a standard PS5 doesn't seem like good business sense, considering the Switch 2 won't be close to them in performance.

I think at the absolute most they go $400 on Switch 2, but maybe as low as $350. Based on the success of Switch 1, they no doubt got really good deals on parts for Switch 2 from manufacturers, so I don't think it will be as expensive to build as some here think.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Radek said:

I think Digital Foundry said it best, it would be amazing if Switch 2 had a mode that enables docked modes/clocks in portable play.

What I suspect is the Switch 2, is powerfull enough, to run old Switch 1 games's docked mode, even when the switch 2 is in handheld mode.

I'm pretty sure they meant that: "docked-preset" of Switch1 games for the Switch 2 handheld mode.

Dulfite said:

The issue with the $450 price is that it gets them too close to XS/PS5 pricing, and closer to whatever SX2/PS6 pricing will be.

$300 Switch compared to $400 disc-less/$500 standard PS5 really helped it sell well. Being $50 more expensive than a PS5 disc-less and only $50 cheaper than a standard PS5 doesn't seem like good business sense, considering the Switch 2 won't be close to them in performance.

I think at the absolute most they go $400 on Switch 2, but maybe as low as $350. Based on the success of Switch 1, they no doubt got really good deals on parts for Switch 2 from manufacturers, so I don't think it will be as expensive to build as some here think.

You could literally say this about Switch vs PS4 and how did that turnout? Switch and PS4 were both 299.99. Switch went on to sell 40 million more than PS4. Switch 2 at 450 would be fine because PS5/Xbox series still lack the hybrid feature and Nintendo games. Switch 2 will launch with far better 3rd party support giving Nintendo much better help at selling the console. Switch's price didn't help against PS5, Switch was already established and I love how you just ignored Xbox series S being same price as Switch and had no affect at all including the US where Xbox is quite relevant.

Also Oled is even more expensive but is flying off shelves

We reap what we sow

Dulfite said:

Aligned 100%.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Dulfite said:

Companies like Apple and Google get good pricing on these components too, these parts of still reserved for those companies' higher end flagship products. Nintendo isn't moving some special number of hardware relative to those companies (nor is any video game maker). Things like LPDDR5X RAM, this kind of a GPU, a screen that large, a big chunk of UFS 3.1 storage are still not dirt cheap components.

1536 CUDA cores

8-inch 1080p screen

12GB LPDDR5X RAM

New dock w/fan (notable more because every system is going to require a dock in that case)

256GB UFS 3.1 storage

New magnetic locking Joycons. 

I dunno. I don't see it. All that for $50 more than an OLED Switch, great if they want to do it, I just doubt it. Nintendo has made pricier hardware choices here than they had to. Why a larger 1080p screen, 720p 7 inches was good enough. Why 1536 CUDA cores that's an awful lot of SMs if they want to low clock like a few people claim you could've used fewer CUDA cores and had a cheaper chip and still gotten the same performance by just clocking up a bit, why LPDDR5X RAM instead of cheaper, older LPDDR5 is also an eye raiser. Why 256GB UFS 3.1 when they could've used 2.2 UFS 3 is also a bit of a choice if your goal is cheap, cheap, cheap. They're making a lot of choices here I think based on giving the hardware a pretty decent amount of performance, like they could have opted for 128GB storage, but 256GB basically ensures every kind of modern game from 3rd parties can install directly onto every system's internal storage. 

The design choices here just don't scream "budget product!".

They purposely priced the Switch OLED at $350 which was already more than the XBox Series S and only $50 less than the disc less PS5. And the Switch OLED is selling great. So that kinda throws a wrench in the whole line of thinking IMO. The current best selling Switch 1 model is $350. The truth is, Nintendo's hardware is majority bought by adults with large disposable income, children are part of the equation but no longer the driving demo. Teenagers and young adults who have grown up with previous Nintendo consoles are the driver audience. The days of dirt cheap GBA/DS hardware and dirt cheap pricing are over. Maybe you'll get a cheap Switch 2 Lite eventually, but I don't think that's coming any time soon. 

Even the Switch when it launched was the same price as the PS4, and that certainly did not hinder its sales. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 19 May 2024

Soundwave said:
Dulfite said:

Companies like Apple and Google get good pricing on these components too, these parts of still reserved for those companies' higher end flagship products. Nintendo isn't moving some special number of hardware relative to those companies (nor is any video game maker). Things like LPDDR5X RAM, this kind of a GPU, a screen that large, a big chunk of UFS 3.1 storage are still not dirt cheap components.

1536 CUDA cores

8-inch 1080p screen

12GB LPDDR5X RAM

New dock w/fan (notable more because every system is going to require a dock in that case)

256GB UFS 3.1 storage

I dunno. I don't see it. All that for $50 more than an OLED Switch, great if they want to do it, I just doubt it. Nintendo has made pricier hardware choices here than they had to. Why a larger 1080p screen, 720p 7 inches was good enough. Why 1536 CUDA cores that's an awful lot of SMs if they want to low clock like a few people claim you could've used fewer CUDA cores and had a cheaper chip and still gotten the same performance by just clocking up a bit, why LPDDR5X RAM instead of cheaper, older LPDDR5 is also an eye raiser. Why 256GB UFS 3.1 when they could've used 2.2 UFS 3 is also a bit of a choice if your goal is cheap, cheap, cheap. They're making a lot of choices here I think based on giving the hardware a pretty decent amount of performance, like they could have opted for 128GB storage, but 256GB basically ensures every kind of modern game from 3rd parties can install directly onto every system's internal storage. 

They purposely priced the Switch OLED at $350 which was already more than the XBox Series S and only $50 less than the disc less PS5. And the Switch OLED is selling great. So that kinda throws a wrench in the whole line of thinking IMO. The current best selling Switch 1 model is $350. The truth is, Nintendo's hardware is majority bought by adults with large disposable income, children are part of the equation but no longer the driving demo. Teenagers and young adults who have grown up with previous Nintendo consoles are the driver audience. The days of dirt cheap GBA/DS hardware and dirt cheap pricing are over. Maybe you'll get a cheap Switch 2 Lite eventually, but I don't think that's coming any time soon. 

Even the Switch when it launched was the same price as the PS4, and that certainly did not hinder its sales. 

I think they launch the Swith2 complete package for $449. And a SKU without the dock (sold separately) for $349

Tober said:
Soundwave said:

1536 CUDA cores

8-inch 1080p screen

12GB LPDDR5X RAM

256GB UFS 3.1 storage

I think they launch the Swith2 complete package for $449. And a SKU without the dock (sold separately) for $349

The dock is what makes it a "switch", able to go from handheld to tv hybrid console.
That seems unlikely to me.

If they wanted to go that route, for a cheap buy in option, it would be so much easier and cheaper, to make a tv hooked up switch only.
(ei. its in a tiny cube, thus its without screen ect, allowing for cheaper build)

JRPGfan said:
Tober said:

The dock is what makes it a "switch", able to go from handheld to tv hybrid console.

If they wanted to go that route, for a cheap buy in option, it would be so much easier and cheaper, to make a tv hooked up switch only.
(ei. its in a tiny cube, thus its without screen ect, allowing for cheaper build)

What about the multiple Switch per household? You only need one dock for the living room TV, but want more Switches for the family members?

Tober said:
JRPGfan said:

What about the multiple Switch per household? You only need one dock for the living room TV, but want more Switches for the family members?

The only way I think this could have worked is if the old dock worked since lots of people already have an OG Dock, but from the shipment data this thread is about it looks like there is a completely new dock (one that has a fan inside of it) for the Switch 2 that has new functionality (extra cooling). 

So I don't think a dock-less model is happening, I don't think Switch 1 docks will work with Switch 2 because they don't have any active cooling. 

From this shipment data we also see the Switch 2 is a significantly larger console than the Switch 1 so that may complicate a dock situation, now I know you're talking about multiple docks per household, but when Switch 2 has 0 docks in anyone's home to start with I can't see them selling a dock-less model to start with at all. 

We also know from the Switch 1 outside of a small service in Japan where I believe they allowed some Switches to be sold direct from Nintendo via mail without a dock for a little less, Nintendo didn't sell regular Switch systems without a dock anywhere (regular meaning non-Lite models) else and still does not, I don't see them suddenly changing this for Switch 2.  

Last edited by Soundwave - on 19 May 2024