By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How will be Switch 2 performance wise?

Which console will be close in performance?

XB1 13 8.78%

PS4 49 33.11%

PS4 pro 47 31.76%

XB1X 8 5.41%

XBox Series S 24 16.22%

PS5 3 2.03%

XBox Series X 4 2.70%

Total:148

I really hope the dock is more than video out. A real dock unlocking game performance would be massive for Nintendo. I could see it increasing performance 20 to 30%.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network

Is there a good reason why Nintendo won't release a non-mobile version of the Switch 2?

It would be super cheap & easy to produce & the retail price could be so low that it'd absolutely cater to an audience that aren't willing to part with 400+ dollars.

Would be feasible at what, 150 bucks?

All components would run at full clip, I just don't see the downside... The switch lite already 'broke' the switch promise, so that shouldn't be a reason against it.

Scratching my head why it didn't happen with Switch 1, especially when it was rumoured that at points stock was being held up by the screen availability.

Seems like a total no-brainier. Nintendo can be perplexing at times...

Chrkeller said:

I really hope the dock is more than video out. A real dock unlocking game performance would be massive for Nintendo. I could see it increasing performance 20 to 30%.

Assuming this is true and therefore the dock itself would be more expensive, I could see Nintendo launching the Switch2 with a SKU including the dock and a SKU without the dock (dock sold separately) for lower entry price.

This way households that want multiple Switch2, but need only one dock, can be more motivated to buy multiple Switch2. Especially if the Switch2 incl dock will be notably more expensive then first gen. Also good for people playing only handheld.

Tober said:
Chrkeller said:

Assuming this is true and therefore the dock itself would be more expensive, I could see Nintendo launching the Switch2 with a SKU including the dock and a SKU without the dock (dock sold separately) for lower entry price.

This way households that want multiple Switch2, but need only one dock, can be more motivated to buy multiple Switch2. Especially if the Switch2 incl dock will be notably more expensive then first gen. Also good for people playing only handheld.

100% agreed.  I think the Switch will be $350, no dock.  And the dock will be $100-$150.  It makes sense because I have one dock in the house, but 3 switch units (each of the kids have one).  We didn't go Switch lite because they use the dock via TV output quite often.  This scenario makes the most sense.    

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

$350 is a pipe dream for Switch 2.

People better start to brace for $450. If $400 happens people should consider themselves very lucky, but I doubt it. I think $449.99 is the price. 

8-inch 1080p screen, 12GB LPDDR5X RAM (this is more RAM of the same kind than the new $1000 iPad Pro), 256GB UFS 3.1 storage, 1536 CUDA core Nvidia GPU, 8-core ARM A78 CPU for same price or only $50 more than the current Switch OLED, new magnetic latch system, new larger Joycons with probably better rumble and other features possibly, larger battery, probably some other new functionality too .... yeah ... that seems awfully like wishful thinking. 

No dock is also not happening, the Switch 2 has a new dock that from the shipping details has it's own fan inside of it and from other leaks has an entirely new shape (circular on one edge to flat on the other edge, so like a half circle ala the Burj al Arab hotel building).

If $450 is the launch price and they were running behind on some software, you can also understand why they delayed out of 2024, can't be launching a $450 hardware without big gun software not just for day 1 but for month 2/3/4 too. They're going to need a knockout library of games right from the get go to justify a pretty expensive system. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 16 May 2024

Around the Network

I just hope these rumors are true, not only because it will be a good upgrade, but also because if they aren't there are going to be some majorly disappointed people.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

I just hope these rumors are true, not only because it will be a good upgrade, but also because if they aren't there are going to be some majorly disappointed people.

T239 is basically confirmed so the only question is the fan and the size of the chip.

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

T239 is basically confirmed so the only question is the fan and the size of the chip.

Ram amount, memory bandwidth are all rumors or supposed leaks, no?

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

Ram amount, memory bandwidth are all rumors or supposed leaks, no?

For a mid 2025 it's to be expected but the biggest things will be the chip size and if the cooling in the dock is really good or even exists.

The leak is from Famiboards who have the best discussion on the tech of Switch 2, their users found shipment testing data of actual Switch 2 hardware which basically confirms Tegra T239, 12GB LPDDR5X RAM, 256GB UFS 3.1 storage, but also the new dock has a fan inside of it, it's publicly available data but you would have to know what you are looking for and understand what the different product codes mean.

Looking at that, even regardless of what the Tegra GPU is clocked it (it's irrelevant because it costs the same either way, 1536 CUDA cores is 1536 CUDA cores no matter what, you don't pay for 1/4 of an apple if you take two bites and eat no more, you pay for the whole apple, the grocery store doesn't care if you eat all of it or not), the screen size, the RAM, the internal storage ...

I don't see $399.99 at all. This is $449.99 most likely. As I've said there are $1000 premium phone and tablets with LPDDR5X RAM and that much storage, I doubt Nintendo is going to gift that away for only $50 more than a Switch OLED. The iPad Pro OLED just released like yesterday and that has only 8GB LPDDR5X RAM and that's $1000+. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 16 May 2024