By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How will be Switch 2 performance wise?

Which console will be close in performance?

XB1 13 8.78%

PS4 49 33.11%

PS4 pro 47 31.76%

XB1X 8 5.41%

XBox Series S 24 16.22%

PS5 3 2.03%

XBox Series X 4 2.70%

Total:148
Soundwave said:
Tober said:

What about the multiple Switch per household? You only need one dock for the living room TV, but want more Switches for the family members?

The only way I think this could have worked is if the old dock worked since lots of people already have an OG Dock, but from the shipment data this thread is about it looks like there is a completely new dock (one that has a fan inside of it) for the Switch 2 that has new functionality (extra cooling). 

So I don't think a dock-less model is happening, I don't think Switch 1 docks will work with Switch 2 because they don't have any active cooling. 

From this shipment data we also see the Switch 2 is a significantly larger console than the Switch 1 so that may complicate a dock situation, now I know you're talking about multiple docks per household, but when Switch 2 has 0 docks in anyone's home to start with I can't see them selling a dock-less model to start with at all. 

Agree. But that does not rule out Switch2 will not have a dock-less version. Perhaps not at the very start, but it still is on the table as a lower entry point alternative that would also appeal to handheld gamers.

Around the Network
Tober said:
Soundwave said:

The only way I think this could have worked is if the old dock worked since lots of people already have an OG Dock, but from the shipment data this thread is about it looks like there is a completely new dock (one that has a fan inside of it) for the Switch 2 that has new functionality (extra cooling). 

So I don't think a dock-less model is happening, I don't think Switch 1 docks will work with Switch 2 because they don't have any active cooling. 

From this shipment data we also see the Switch 2 is a significantly larger console than the Switch 1 so that may complicate a dock situation, now I know you're talking about multiple docks per household, but when Switch 2 has 0 docks in anyone's home to start with I can't see them selling a dock-less model to start with at all. 

Agree. But that does not rule out Switch2 will not have a dock-less version. Perhaps not at the very start, but it still is on the table as a lower entry point alternative that would also appeal to handheld gamers.

My personal feeling is it's gonna be a no. If they wouldn't do it widely for Switch 1, I don't think they will do it for Switch 2. 

The thing is Nintendo doesn't really want people using the Switch as a portable in a traditional sense, which is bringing the system home and throwing it on the nightstand or whatever. They want when you have it at home to put it straight in the dock so the system is always charged and the battery issue is negated, it's not meant to have like a 10 hour battery life like the Game Boy or DS where you can go long periods without charging it. 

The dock is important even for people who game portably in Nintendo's vision for the hardware I think, you're supposed to put it in the dock when you're not using it. 

Maybe the screen is detachable.
Then the regular switch 2 would have the processing unit with 256gb, a screen to attach, controlers, ative cooling dock
And create cheaper options from it: the processing unit with 128gb + a cheaper screen+controller shell.
Another option is the mini console like: processing unit+ dock+controller, for TV playing only.

Also, would allow to upgrade the screen, or even other screen designs, like clamshell, XL, or regular in oled.

By the way, where is the source that there are two fans on the dock ?

Tober said:
JRPGfan said:

The dock is what makes it a "switch", able to go from handheld to tv hybrid console.
That seems unlikely to me.

If they wanted to go that route, for a cheap buy in option, it would be so much easier and cheaper, to make a tv hooked up switch only.
(ei. its in a tiny cube, thus its without screen ect, allowing for cheaper build)

What about the multiple Switch per household? You only need one dock for the living room TV, but want more Switches for the family members?

Thats actually a pretty valid point... Hadn't thought of that.
I think I'd be fine, with both sold sepperately (or atleast it being a option).

Around the Network
jonathanalis said:

Maybe the screen is detachable.
Then the regular switch 2 would have the processing unit with 256gb, a screen to attach, controlers, ative cooling dock
And create cheaper options from it: the processing unit with 128gb + a cheaper screen+controller shell.
Another option is the mini console like: processing unit+ dock+controller, for TV playing only.

Also, would allow to upgrade the screen, or even other screen designs, like clamshell, XL, or regular in oled.

Can you imagine the christmas's, birthday parties... where you get a switch but parents forgot to also buy a screen.
Maybe they didnt even pre-install it.... so mid party, you have kids jumping around, while your trying to install a screen.... only for something to go wrong.

Yeah.... thats gonna be a PR nightmare, and who knows how many will be returned to store, broken, by mad parents that failed to connect and install the screen.

I think thats a horrible idea.
It being repair friendly, is entirely up to nintendo, and people that want to break one open and manually replace parts... more power to you.
But haveing that be the default? no.

I'm a firm believer of things should be complete at buy, and just work out of the box.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

The same people on Famiboards who leaked the initial shipment data stuff (fwd-bwd, Thraktor LiC and other posters) also later on scoured the data and found the dock has a radiator fan inside of it (the shipment data lists metal brackets inside the new dock that are for a radiator fan specifically). "Radiator fan" is just a more formal/technical designation for what we just call a fan inside a computing device. 

https://famiboards.com/threads/future-nintendo-hardware-technology-speculation-discussion-st-read-the-staff-posts-before-commenting.55/page-2806#post-1088065

The content may be hidden unless you're a Famiboards member. 

There are also two separate product code numbers for two different fans in the shipment data (so the Switch 2 likely has two different fans). 

This video has a summary of everything found by Famiboards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgw_6Rg7wDY

A second fan in the dock should allow for potentially max performance of the chip when docked. 

They also have I believe the size dimensions of the Switch 2 (without Joycons attached) and they're a good deal larger than the Switch 1. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 20 May 2024

Soundwave said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

The same people on Famiboards who leaked the initial shipment data stuff (fwd-bwd, Thraktor LiC and other posters) also later on scoured the data and found the dock has a radiator fan inside of it (the shipment data lists metal brackets inside the new dock that are for a radiator fan specifically). "Radiator fan" is just a more formal/technical designation for what we just call a fan inside a computing device. 

https://famiboards.com/threads/future-nintendo-hardware-technology-speculation-discussion-st-read-the-staff-posts-before-commenting.55/page-2806#post-1088065

The content may be hidden unless you're a Famiboards member. 

There are also two separate product code numbers for two different fans in the shipment data (so the Switch 2 likely has two different fans). 

This video has a summary of everything found by Famiboards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgw_6Rg7wDY

A second fan in the dock should allow for potentially max performance of the chip when docked. 

They also have I believe the size dimensions of the Switch 2 (without Joycons attached) and they're a good deal larger than the Switch 1. 

Thanks, but ...
I knew about the information in the link.

https://famiboards.com/threads/future-nintendo-hardware-technology-speculation-discussion-st-read-the-staff-posts-before-commenting.55/page-2845#post-1091680

Update: After comparing to other fan part numbers from Delta Electronics, I can say @fwd-bwd was right, and that the first "05" in the BSM0505 fan refers to a dimension of roughly 5 cm, compared to the current Switch model's fan parts which are all BSM0405 for a dimension of roughly 4 cm. For example, the Delta part BFB1012 (10 cm) has actual listed dimensions of 9.7 x 9.7 cm. The number after that is the voltage, so all the Switch (or possibly Switch 2) fans here use 5 V.

One question is whether the "new" BSM0405 fan is really new, or just a revision to an existing model. The OLED fan seems to have been switched to a newer revision in early 2023, so it's not impossible that could be happening here. If so, there's only one new fan, the BSM050, and in that case I would lean toward it being in the console, not the dock. But anything is possible.

One 50mm fan in the console and one 40mm fan inside the dock.*perhaps

I am looking for a source that says there are two fans inside the dock, did I read it wrong?

Last edited by Oneeee-Chan!!! - on 21 May 2024

There was some talk about the OS size.

LIC believes that the OS size will be less than 1 GB.

Current Switch:

811 MB (0.79 GB) OS
+ 96 MB optional video capture buffer donated by the game
= 907 MB (0.89 GB) max

Switch 2's OS memory usage will not be higher than about 1 GB. If they tack on an enormous video capture buffer, the maximum memory usage could be about 1.5 GB. That's the upper limit.

https://famiboards.com/threads/future-nintendo-hardware-technology-speculation-discussion-st-read-the-staff-posts-before-commenting.55/page-2936#post-1105149

The OS really shouldn't take much RAM. No reason for it.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC