By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How will be Switch 2 performance wise?

Which console will be close in performance?

XB1 13 8.78%

PS4 49 33.11%

PS4 pro 47 31.76%

XB1X 8 5.41%

XBox Series S 24 16.22%

PS5 3 2.03%

XBox Series X 4 2.70%

Total:148
Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

Boy his posts are just really childish sometimes. It's a freaking gaming forum, we are here to talk about are preferences and dislikes in gaming and hardware. if people would just cream no ones gives a crap about your opinion every time   they don't like it it would be a pretty boring discussion. it's just a freaking hardware and not a family member but some people do really get attached to a brand.

The two of you gaslight the same Nintendo threads over and over again and actually prevent any kind of actual hardware discussion because it's bogged down by your spotty understanding of Nintendo's own history and personal tastes that no one cares about. No one goes into XBox Series S threads and takes over threads talking about their personal preferences on frame rate. Why is that? 

At some point, people just get tired of it and it's more than fair to call it out. Simple as that. 

Not all of us strictly play Nintendo games on Nintendo systems. Some of us do play 3rd party games on the Switch. Some of us are interested in discussing how those games might perform without being yelled down every third post that "it will just be a PS4! You're not allowed to be excited about anything but Nintendo games on it and I'm going to make sure you understand anything below 60 fps is unplayable!". We don't need to hear that opinion 50 times over and over again in technical discussions. 

I would kindly ask you to stop lying.  I've said no such things.  In fact I have said the opposite.  I fully respect and support the opinions of others.  I have made it clear my opinions are mine and mine alone.  

Want to talk performance?  The S2 will be a 2050 with 10 gb ram (8 vram) and 102 gbps bandwidth (bottleneck).  

Third party games will be 720p to 1080p and 30 fps, low settings.  Personal preference from there. 

I'm not convinced GTA6 will run on it.  Same with the Series S to be honest.  But most third party games will run, assuming third party puts in the effort.

Both the gpu and cpu will be underclocked for battery and heat dissipation.

And I think the dock is still a glorified video output because price is important to Nintendo consumers, $400 is guess. 

Anyone who wants a feel for the S2 and third party games.  Grab a 2050 and play at the above mentioned settings.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 16 February 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

The two of you gaslight the same Nintendo threads over and over again and actually prevent any kind of actual hardware discussion because it's bogged down by your spotty understanding of Nintendo's own history and personal tastes that no one cares about. No one goes into XBox Series S threads and takes over threads talking about their personal preferences on frame rate. Why is that? 

At some point, people just get tired of it and it's more than fair to call it out. Simple as that. 

Not all of us strictly play Nintendo games on Nintendo systems. Some of us do play 3rd party games on the Switch. Some of us are interested in discussing how those games might perform without being yelled down every third post that "it will just be a PS4! You're not allowed to be excited about anything but Nintendo games on it and I'm going to make sure you understand anything below 60 fps is unplayable!". We don't need to hear that opinion 50 times over and over again in technical discussions. 

I would kindly ask you to stop lying.  I've said no such things.  In fact I have said the opposite.  I fully respect and support the opinions of others.  I have made it clear my opinions are mine and mine alone.  

Want to talk performance?  The S2 will be a 2050 with 10 gb ram (8 vram) and 102 gbps bandwidth (bottleneck).  

Third party games will be 720p to 1080p and 30 fps, low settings.  Personal preference from there. 

I'm not convinced GTA6 will run on it.  Same with the Series S to be honest.  But most third party games will run, assuming third party puts in the effort.

And I think the dock is still a glorified video output because price is important to Nintendo consumers, $400 is guess. 

Anyone who wants a feel for the S2 and third party games.  Grab a 2050 and play at the above mentioned settings.  

If the S2 is a T239 low clocked then series S will be much more powerful then the S2.

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

If the S2 is a T239 low clocked then series S will be much more powerful then the S2.

The switch was underclocked by 50% for the cpu and 25% for the gpu.  Obviously for battery and thermal reasons.  I could be wrong, but I expect the T239 S2 to be underclocked as well.  The big question is if the dock has thermal cooling or functions well as a heat sink.  If it does Nintendo could offer a significant boost when docked.  Low settings on a 8 inch screen would be fine, given the screen is small.  Getting a giant boost on a big screen when docked would narrow the gap significantly.  

I guess the short version is I am more curious about the dock functionality than the chipset.  To me the dock has the ability to be game changing for performance.

Edit 

I did want to address the "don't trust your eyes" comment because that is disingenuous.  All I said was youtube compresses the crap out of videos and high end hardware looks way better in the real world than a overly compressed video that is severely limited in bandwidth.  Hardcore movie folks will watch a disk before streaming because compression does greatly reduce image quality.  

People need to stop getting upset over facts.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 16 February 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

It is an excellent question.  For the most part I have not been impressed with RT, hardly at all.  I get RT on the ps5 being poor, AMD chipset.  But even on the 4070 and 4090 RT, when turning on and off, does not impress me.  Maybe I'm trying it out on the wrong games?

Having said that LM5 and proper RT could be cool.  Granted I'm not sure what proper RT is.  

Edit

I'm happy to take recommendations on what games have impressive RT.  I've played through the modern RE games and Halo Infinite, none seemed to have RT that did anything that I could notice.

Cyberpunk is a standout example of RT usage, the path tracing makes a big difference. Portal RTX is another example that's free and lets you see how much it can change the look of an older game.

We'll have some 3 extra months to yell at one another concerning Switch 2 hardware speculation, rejoice!

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/nintendo-switch-2-could-now-launch-in-2025-its-claimed/

And while releasing a console with an APU that was designed 5-6 years ago seems a bit underwhelming, at least it's not 15-year-old tech like the Game Boy's processor.

Around the Network
Norion said:
Chrkeller said:

It is an excellent question.  For the most part I have not been impressed with RT, hardly at all.  I get RT on the ps5 being poor, AMD chipset.  But even on the 4070 and 4090 RT, when turning on and off, does not impress me.  Maybe I'm trying it out on the wrong games?

Having said that LM5 and proper RT could be cool.  Granted I'm not sure what proper RT is.  

Edit

I'm happy to take recommendations on what games have impressive RT.  I've played through the modern RE games and Halo Infinite, none seemed to have RT that did anything that I could notice.

Cyberpunk is a standout example of RT usage, the path tracing makes a big difference. Portal RTX is another example that's free and lets you see how much it can change the look of an older game.

I need to check out Cyber.  I've played with RT on RE4, RE8 and Witcher 3.  Haven't been impressed but those could just be poor examples.  Thanks for the tip on portal rtx.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

haxxiy said:

We'll have some 3 extra months to yell at one another concerning Switch 2 hardware speculation, rejoice!

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/nintendo-switch-2-could-now-launch-in-2025-its-claimed/

And while releasing a console with an APU that was designed 5-6 years ago seems a bit underwhelming, at least it's not 15-year-old tech like the Game Boy's processor.

I don't blame them it really does seem the audience for switch  does not care about powerful hardware as the sales aren't really slowing down.

zeldaring said:

I don't blame them it really does seem the audience for switch  does not care about powerful hardware as the sales aren't really slowing down.

I mean, they are. But that isn't the issue here. It's because their first-party games supposedly wouldn't be ready in time.

haxxiy said:
zeldaring said:

I mean, they are. But that isn't the issue here. It's because their first-party games supposedly wouldn't be ready in time.

They are not slowing down enough considering the insane profits in hardware they are making in same in first party sales.

zeldaring said:

They are not slowing down enough considering the insane profits in hardware they are making in same in first party sales.

For shareholders, if you're flat YoY in one core business and declining in the other, your company might very well be dying.

Also the costs of developing more games to maintain the same profit so margins decline.