By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How will be Switch 2 performance wise?

Your expectations

Performance ridiculously ... 0 0%

Really below current gen,... 2 100.00%

Slightly below current ge... 0 0%

On pair with current gen,... 0 0%

Total:2
zeldaring said:
Phenomajp13 said:

No because Nintendo wants to grow via their own platform. This isn't hard to understand, there's a reason Sony can't even get pass 120 million since PS2 while Nintendo has soared pass 150 million soon to be twice since PS2. Nintendo isn't releasing games on other platforms, its what differentiates their hardware not being portable. That's your problem, you put way too much focus on form factor and hardware power when you should be paying attention to the games. Steam Deck right now offers everything Switch offers but better yet Switch kicks it's teeth in, that's because Switch has Nintendo's behemoths exclusively while Steam Deck competes with all those gaming PCs and PS/Xbox. Same issue PS/Xbox have is that they compete for support from all those 3rd parties. There are too many competitors competing for the same support leading to the audience being spread between them all. It will only get worse as Nintendo also starts to offer more of those 3rd party titles. Switch will always have those first party behemoths to itself leaving them untouchable.

Explain the wiiu, GC and N64 then. 2 of them which failed horribly. I think exclusives sell systems but there are several factors  why a console has great sales just look at the ps5 its selling great with only 1 exclusive game in 4 years lol. it's only behind the switch by 1 or 2 million launch aligned.

WiiU lost support from Nintendo to 3DS, GC lost support to GBA, and N64 lost support to GB color. Nintendo no longer splits their support between two consoles. Switch fixed that. Now Nintendo's audience has only one choice, while 3rd party support audience can pick between PC/Steam, PS, Xbox, and maybe Switch 2. The market has choices for 3rd party games, while Nintendo games now have one choice vs. two choices in the past (Nintendo home console or Nintendo handheld console).

Last edited by Phenomajp13 - on 14 February 2024

Around the Network
Phenomajp13 said:
zeldaring said:

Explain the wiiu, GC and N64 then. 2 of them which failed horribly. I think exclusives sell systems but there are several factors  why a console has great sales just look at the ps5 its selling great with only 1 exclusive game in 4 years lol. it's only behind the switch by 1 or 2 million launch aligned.

WiiU lost support from Nintendo to 3DS, GC lost support to GBA, and N64 lost support to GB color. Nintendo no longer splits their support between two consoles. Switch fixed that.

N64 would've sold 100+ million units IMO if they had used CD-ROMs and retained games like Final Fantasy VII, that was a different issue. 

Wii U and GameCube had problems with a split library sure, but they had basic poor execution as well, Wii U was tied to the Wii brand which was declining rapidly and GameCube got stuck in an overcrowded market with MS taking massive losses and trying to normalize that for everyone (stupid MS). 

Soundwave said:

PS5 isn't even going to come within 20 million of the Switch. Sony's already saying PS5 sales have peaked and will decline from here on out, lol.

I'm not sure if they're even going to hit PS4 numbers. 

Decline this year. I think there's some context there

-High Price
-No Huge 1st Party IPs intended for release

Sony could quite comfortably outpace 2023 in 2025 just from GTA6 & a price cut alone, so I wouldn't be so confident. Also worth noting that PS4 sales were cut off early through lack of production as they shifted to PS5, so if PS5 has a longer shelf life (almost a given given the length of game development). We've yet to receive an actual console exclusive from any of Sonys major studios bar Insomniac 

Last edited by Otter - on 14 February 2024

Soundwave said:
Phenomajp13 said:

WiiU lost support from Nintendo to 3DS, GC lost support to GBA, and N64 lost support to GB color. Nintendo no longer splits their support between two consoles. Switch fixed that.

N64 would've sold 100+ million units IMO if they had used CD-ROMs and retained games like Final Fantasy VII, that was a different issue. 

Wii U and GameCube had problems with a split library sure, but they had basic poor execution as well, Wii U was tied to the Wii brand which was declining rapidly and GameCube got stuck in an overcrowded market with MS taking massive losses and trying to normalize that for everyone (stupid MS). 

I agree Soundwave that Nintendo home consoles could have done well with better 3rd party support. Nintendo screwed up the 3rd party support and was left to trying to carry two separate platforms single handedly. If they had a Sony like approach with their home consoles while still carrying their handhelds, things could have been different. Instead they let Sony become the go to 3rd party console and forced themselves to be self sustaining. Now with Nintendo releasing one platform to carry their business, they are able to single handily carry a platform. This is good because the 3rd party support can just be icing on the cake, meanwhile everyone in the industry fights over 3rd party titles. This is why Sony can't grow and MS is losing big time. The audience for those games is too split.

Phenomajp13 said:
zeldaring said:

Yes switch fixed that but theres more to console sales then exclusives, brand plays a huge role and Nintendo handhelds have always sold better then the consoles despite the console having the much better games. Nintendo is the king of handhelds and their brand holds a a lot of weight while their traditional home console started declining after super nes.  it's like the playstation the brand plays a massive role in it's success along with advertising and timing, as well as making the right moves.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

PS5 isn't even going to come within 20 million of the Switch. Sony's already saying PS5 sales have peaked and will decline from here on out, lol.

I thought you didn't want ps5 part of the Switch 2 discussion?  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

zeldaring said:
Phenomajp13 said:

Yes switch fixed that but theres more to console sales then exclusives, brand plays a huge role and Nintendo handhelds have always sold better then the consoles despite the console having the much better games. Nintendo is the king of handhelds and their brand holds a a lot of weight while their traditional home console started declining after super nes.  it's like the playstation the brand plays a massive role in it's success along with advertising and timing, as well as making the right moves.

Stop saying subjective stuff, you don't speak for the market. Nintendo handheld could very well sold better due to better support. You don't just determine Nintendo home consoles had better games. Clearly they didn't and that's why they got their teeth kicked in to those handhelds. I would argue Pokemon not being available (mainline) on home consoles was a bigger issue. This is just proof of how little you understand about the industry. The brands you speak of aren't Nintendo or PS, they are Mario, Pokemon, or Zelda. PS brand isn't the reason for its success. Call of Duty, GTA, or Fifa is the reason. Games sell consoles not the other way around. Take the games and those platforms collapse. Switch ain't selling because it's a Nintendo handheld, it's selling because Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda are exclusive. Put them on competing hardware and they still sale but now the hardware could lose customers. There are certainly more to console sales than exclusives, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying consoles need games, Switch games happen to be exclusive. This forces people that want to play Nintendo games to buy it. While the games that sale the other consoles, are offered by several different platforms. This leads to consumers having multiple options. This is why Sony pays millions for those marketing rights and some exclusive content. They want consumers consuming those games on their console. It really this sinple.

Phenomajp13 said:
zeldaring said:

Stop saying subjective stuff, you don't speak for the market. Nintendo handheld could very well sold better due to better support. You don't just determine Nintendo home consoles had better games. Clearly they didn't and that's why they got their teeth kicked in to those handhelds. I would argue Pokemon not being available (mainline) on home consoles was a bigger issue. This is just proof of how little you understand about the industry. The brands you speak of aren't Nintendo or PS, they are Mario, Pokemon, or Zelda. PS brand isn't the reason for its success. Call of Duty, GTA, or Fifa is the reason. Games sell consoles not the other way around. Take the games and those platforms collapse. Switch ain't selling because it's a Nintendo handheld, it's selling because Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda are exclusive. Put them on competing hardware and they still sale but now the hardware could lose customers. There are certainly more to console sales than exclusives, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying consoles need games, Switch games happen to be exclusive. This forces people that want to play Nintendo games to buy it. While the games that sale the other consoles, are offered by several different platforms. This leads to consumers having multiple options. This is why Sony pays millions for those marketing rights and some exclusive content. They want consumers consuming those games on their console. It really this sinple.

I don't determine lol almost every gamer considers nes and super nes some of the best consoles of all time with some of the most talked about games. I never here anything about gameboy or gameboy color it was inferior I'm everyway yet it outsold them combined.

Otter said:
Soundwave said:

Decline this year. I think there's some context there

-High Price
-No Huge 1st Party IPs intended for release

Sony could quite comfortably outpace 2023 in 2025 just from GTA6 & a price cut alone, so I wouldn't be so confident. Also worth noting that PS4 sales were cut off early through lack of production as they shifted to PS5, so if PS5 has a longer shelf life (almost a given given the length of game development). We've yet to receive an actual console exclusive from any of Sonys major studios bar Insomniac 

Yeah, I now fully expect 2025 to be the PS5's peak year for shipments.

zeldaring said:
Phenomajp13 said:

I don't determine lol almost every gamer considers nes and super nes some of the best consoles of all time with some of the most talked about games. I never here anything about gameboy or gameboy color it was inferior I'm everyway yet it outsold them combined.

So what you heard speaks for everyone? Maybe Gameboy outsold them combined due to a certain new behemoth franchise releasing exclusive to Nintendo handhelds completely changing their trajectory.