By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How will be Switch 2 performance wise?

Which console will be close in performance?

XB1 13 8.78%

PS4 49 33.11%

PS4 pro 47 31.76%

XB1X 8 5.41%

XBox Series S 24 16.22%

PS5 3 2.03%

XBox Series X 4 2.70%

Total:148

Somewhere between Magnavox Odyssey and a high end gaming PC.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Better than PS4, but not as good as Series S. In other words it should be just powerful enough to run any third party game if a publisher wants it to happen. And yet weak enough that a publisher can make excuses about it being too weak if they don't want a port to happen.

/thread

I would like to add that with this level of power and considering what Nintendo and their studios managed to pull off on Switch with games like Luigi's Mansion 3, Tears of the Kingdom, Xenoblade 3, Metroid Prime Remastered or Super Mario Odyssey... We can expect some extra beautiful Nintendo games on Switch 2 ^^

The chip will be "smarter".
In terms of power, don't be surprised if it comes up short even against the Playstation 4 in a few hardware areas, like memory bandwidth holding back fillrates...

However it will be able to do "more tricks" without the performance impact, so it will punch above it's proverbial weight, just like the Switch currently.

Hoping developers leverage FSR over DLSS though, just so that forwards/backwards compatibility doesn't break when/if Nintendo releases a Switch 3 as DLSS is nVidia propriety tech.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

DOCKED: I'd expect it to perform roughly on-par with the low-end Nvidia Ampere laptop dGPU's. So basically RTX 2050/RTX 3050 4GB 30W level. I think it will age better than them though, due to having more VRAM (at least 6 GB of useable video memory versus 4GB.)  I think it will do this at the lower power profile because I expect Nvidia to go with a die-shrink (TSMC 4nm.) 

So that puts it a half-tier (GPU-wise) below the Series S, and in some applications (ray-tracing workloads) it should have a better showing than the Series S. DLSS might be able to get it close as well. 

UNDOCKED: Roughly Steam Deck/PS4 level, again with a better feature-set. 

Last edited by sc94597 - on 12 November 2023

2 Switches duct taped together.

Around the Network

It'll be in between PS4 and PS4 Pro level.

Draconidas said:

2 Switches duct taped together.

*Sweats in Wii U being three Wii's taped together, and Wii being a Gamecube on steroids

Ps4 to ps4 pro. It will not produce series s visuals much less ps5. Memory bandwidth is going to be a limiting factor.  Storage space will also be curious.  

So really nothing changes on my end from last generation. The switch 2 will be for 1st party software and third party will be PC/ps5 for noticeably better graphics and significantly better performance (fps, lighting, shadows, etc.).  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

I'm hoping they go back to the glory days. A power house , ps5 pro specs, and huge 3rd party multiplat support.

Chrkeller said:

Ps4 to ps4 pro. It will not produce series s visuals much less ps5. Memory bandwidth is going to be a limiting factor.  Storage space will also be curious.  

So really nothing changes on my end from last generation. The switch 2 will be for 1st party software and third party will be PC/ps5 for noticeably better graphics and significantly better performance (fps, lighting, shadows, etc.).  

I guess you missed the part where they shocased unreal 5 engine demo similar to what what shown for ps5. That cannot run on ps4/ps4 pro specs. It will also have a current gen based cpu, which is much more powerful than last gen, along with a much bettter cpu.