By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How will be Switch 2 performance wise?

Which console will be close in performance?

XB1 13 8.78%

PS4 49 33.11%

PS4 pro 47 31.76%

XB1X 8 5.41%

XBox Series S 24 16.22%

PS5 3 2.03%

XBox Series X 4 2.70%

Total:148
KratosLives said:
Chrkeller said:

Ps4 to ps4 pro. It will not produce series s visuals much less ps5. Memory bandwidth is going to be a limiting factor.  Storage space will also be curious.  

So really nothing changes on my end from last generation. The switch 2 will be for 1st party software and third party will be PC/ps5 for noticeably better graphics and significantly better performance (fps, lighting, shadows, etc.).  

I guess you missed the part where they shocased unreal 5 engine demo similar to what what shown for ps5. That cannot run on ps4/ps4 pro specs. It will also have a current gen based cpu, which is much more powerful than last gen, along with a much bettter cpu.

Saw it and I'm not buying it.  The switch 2 will have mobile hardware and will not push ps5 visuals.  The iPhone pro was suppose to be amazing and RE8 is a mess.  I also remember the ps2 demo of FF8 dance scene....  people, imo, are expecting too much from the switch 2.  Mobile has come a long way but mobile is still limited.  Memory bandwidth will be a bottleneck.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network

It can unreal engine 5 so I'm expecting Switch 2 to be inbetween Xbox series S and PS5 . All these people thinking PS4 base level forgetting that by the time Switch 2 releases, PS4 will be over a decade old. Switch 2 will be much more powerful than a decade old console if not then it will be very disappointing

The games that Nintendo makes don't require much hardware so a PS4 would be more than enough. the problem will be third party releases like the next gta

Pinkie_pie said:

It can unreal engine 5 so I'm expecting Switch 2 to be inbetween Xbox series S and PS5 . All these people thinking PS4 base level forgetting that by the time Switch 2 releases, PS4 will be over a decade old. Switch 2 will be much more powerful than a decade old console if not then it will be very disappointing

Ps4 may be old but it wasn't mobile running at 15 watts.  Mobile comes with limitations.  Which is fine.  LM3 and pikmin 4 on a ps4 would look stunning.  The only way I see Switch 2 touching current generation hardware is if the dock is more than just a video output and has some serious processing power.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 13 November 2023

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

As expected, a thread filled with retarded nintendo haters talking shit. THE SWITCH 2 WILL BE ROUGHLY 3X MORE POWERFUL THAN THE PS4. And unlike many imbeciles in here, I'm not talking about a single aspect (gpu). This is as a whole. It will have a much better gpu and cpu than the ps4 and more than double the usable ram for games (5gb on ps4 vs probably 10.5gb on switch 2).

Comparisons with the ps4 pro are asanine. The ps4 pro is just a ps4 with a better gpu. The switch 2 will wipe the floor with the ps4, so it will also wipe the floor with the ps4 pro, though with a much closer gpu gap vs that one.

Series S is also a stupid comparison because of how weirdly built it is. It's a series x with a gpu around 35% as strong and way too little ram. And so many idiots keep making comparisons to just the gpu as if that was the whole system. The switch 2 gpu should be a little more powerful than the series S. It will have notably more ram for games (7.5gb for series s vs 10.5gb on switch 2 vs 13.5gb on ps5/series x) though at lower bandwidth and the cpu should be around half as powerful as the one inside ps5/series x/series s.

10th gen multiplats ported for switch will need to be downgraded to acomodate for that cpu gap, but this isn't rocket science. Engines are more scalable than ever and this will be a much simpler job than ports in the past. With that out of the way, the switch 2 will easily have enough gpu and ram to run those multiplats at a lower resolution: 900-1080p docked, 540-720p portable before DLSS reconstructs it to 2160p docked and 1080p portable while the ps5 versions are 1600-2160p.

End result for games: Multiplats between Switch 2, ps5 and series x will look graphically a little worse on switch 2 but will run at the same framerates and the same or higher final resolution quality thanks to dlss. It will be the closest that a portable hardware has gotten against modern console competitors, with the differences only being noticeable in side by side comparisons. We'll have a system that is cheaper than the competition, outputs the games with little (or no, for indies, A, AA games that don't push any console) difference vs competitors, all while having the advantage of being oth portable and a home console + having nintendo's unrivaled first party lineup. The mass market will buy it like crazy and haters will be left lying and crying like usual.

Around the Network
Leynos said:

Base PS4 with Pro performance with DLSS.

I also suspect it will be able to replicate the Wii U dual-screen capability. Taking the system out of the dock and playing handheld, it can wireless transmit a signal to the TV for split screen games. One person plays on TV while the other plays handheld natively.

Retarded nintendo hater.

BonfiresDown said:

Digital Foundry recently did a rough test of how it would perform based on rumors. It’s like PS4 to PS4 Pro level I think along with DLSS and ray tracing. For me it will be plenty good for the games Nintendo make so I don’t terribly care.

Retarded nintendo hater.

IcaroRibeiro said:

Hopefully above PS4 pro 

I won't be surprised if it's behind base PS4 though 

Very retarded nintendo hater.

VAMatt said:

PS4 Pro performance docked, with paper stats a bit above base PS4.

Retarded nintendo hater.

Slownenberg said:
Leynos said:

Base PS4 with Pro performance with DLSS.

I also suspect it will be able to replicate the Wii U dual-screen capability. Taking the system out of the dock and playing handheld, it can wireless transmit a signal to the TV for split screen games. One person plays on TV while the other plays handheld natively.

First sentence above: yeah thats basically exactly what I expect. Specs around PS4/XB1 level, but with DLSS it should be able to output something around PS4 Pro level I would think.

Second part is interesting. Hadn't thought about that before. If they do that (and for future gens as well) that could be a way to put DS and 3DS games on NSO. And of course as you say that could be useful for multiplayer as well. I could totally be down for that being the new thing Nintendo adds next gen so I could try out DS and 3DS games.

Retarded nintendo hater.

OdinHades said:

I'm expecting basically the power of the Steam Deck in a smaller device. So PS4 at best, and that's good enough for me.

Retarded nintendo hater.

BasilZero said:

It'll be in between PS4 and PS4 Pro level.

Retarded nintendo hater.

Chrkeller said:

Ps4 to ps4 pro. It will not produce series s visuals much less ps5. Memory bandwidth is going to be a limiting factor.  Storage space will also be curious.  

So really nothing changes on my end from last generation. The switch 2 will be for 1st party software and third party will be PC/ps5 for noticeably better graphics and significantly better performance (fps, lighting, shadows, etc.).  

Retarded nintendo hater.

sc94597 said:

DOCKED: I'd expect it to perform roughly on-par with the low-end Nvidia Ampere laptop dGPU's. So basically RTX 2050/RTX 3050 4GB 30W level. I think it will age better than them though, due to having more VRAM (at least 6 GB of useable video memory versus 4GB.)  I think it will do this at the lower power profile because I expect Nvidia to go with a die-shrink (TSMC 4nm.) 

So that puts it a half-tier (GPU-wise) below the Series S, and in some applications (ray-tracing workloads) it should have a better showing than the Series S. DLSS might be able to get it close as well. 

UNDOCKED: Roughly Steam Deck/PS4 level, again with a better feature-set. 

Gpus aren't entire consoles. But case in point, the switch 2 gpu will easily beat the ps4 gpu even in portable mode.

Pemalite said:

The chip will be "smarter".
In terms of power, don't be surprised if it comes up short even against the Playstation 4 in a few hardware areas, like memory bandwidth holding back fillrates...

However it will be able to do "more tricks" without the performance impact, so it will punch above it's proverbial weight, just like the Switch currently.

Hoping developers leverage FSR over DLSS though, just so that forwards/backwards compatibility doesn't break when/if Nintendo releases a Switch 3 as DLSS is nVidia propriety tech.

Why do you hate DLSS like it owes you money? Nintendo won't miss the opportunity of using such amazing techonogy for no reason.

Well that escalated quickly

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I agree with Blazer. Like I said in my previous post PS4 is over a decade old. Surely Nintendo next console would be more powerful than PS4. When Switch came out it was more powerful than PS3