2002, Game of the Year Runoff

Kingdom Hearts 9 16.07%

The Wind Waker 14 25.00%

Metroid Prime 22 39.29%

Battlefield 1942 3 5.36%

Eternal Darkness 4 7.14%

Resident Evil (REmake) 4 7.14%

Total:56

There is only one right answer and it's Digimon World 3.

The best Pokémon game isn't actually a Pokémon game.

I've replayed it several times, still listen to its OST regularly and watch people play it randomly on YT.

One of the best games ever made.

Around the Network

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I think Metroid Prime was the game of year, even as much as I like Eternal Darkness. Wind Waker was quite good, but nothing compared to previous Zeldas.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Not really a big year for me aside from two games: the first being Grand Theft Auto Vice City, the second being Warcraft 3. The thing about Warcraft 3 is that while I enjoyed the cinematic upgrades over Starcraft and Warcraft 2, I found I probably didn't play the game even 1/10th as much as those two prior games, and it was really the last RTS game I ever got into - as I wasn't able to get into Starcraft 2. Not saying they're bad games, it's more like I lost interest in the genre - it's kind of like how I played a lot of Soul Caliber, Street Fighter II, and Smash Bros on N64, but was disinterested in later Soul Caliber, Street Fighter, and Smash Bros games - despite improvements. Same deal with GE007, despite Perfect Dark being an upgrade over GE007, I found myself largely disinterested in it. I guess what I'm saying, "Warcraft 3, it's me, not you."

Vice City, on the other hand, I felt was a giant improvement over GTA 3. The radio was massively improved, the city was flashier, more interesting. And while GTA3 hinted at the Scarface inspirations, Vice City embodied them. Of all the GTA games, this game probably accounts for about 70-80% of the total time played. This is also the game that made me really fall in love with open world gameplay. It was really just a lot about the wholesome things you could do in the game: cruisin the city while listening to tunes, listening to the radio shows, the advertisements, and exploring the different landmarks, lots of site seeing, going for walks in the park and along the beach, beating hookers and murdering cops, going to diners and fast food joints, having meetings about jobs, and just sitting around and enjoying the turning of the day... you know, wholesome stuff!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Timesplitters 2 is by far my favorite game of 2002 and one of my favorite FPS games of all time. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault is another fantastic FPS game.

Last edited by Vinther1991 - on 30 October 2023

Around the Network
BraLoD said:

There is only one right answer and it's Digimon World 3.

The best Pokémon game isn't actually a Pokémon game.

I've replayed it several times, still listen to its OST regularly and watch people play it randomly on YT.

One of the best games ever made.

LOL, I love this post.  Pokémon doesn't have any votes yet, and you vote for Digimon instead.  That's a serious diss.

What a year for the Gamecube between Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil Remake, Resident Evil 0, and Eternal Darkness. Vice City is my favorite Grand Theft Auto game. I have to go with Metroid Prime for the win, I was really never into the previous Metroid games, and this one blew me away. I've come to appreciate Super Metroid now, but never enjoyed the first game.

Please, don't make me choose between Metroid Prime and Kingdom Hearts.

This was an amazing year. One that can stand along years like 1997 and 1998. I'd say it was the last real peak of this era. I have played a lot of games from this year, and still play a handful from time to time.

From the poll, my favourite would be Warcraft III, which I loved because of the big variety between the playable civilisations. The cutscenes were absolutely amazing as well, they still would be. It is also the only rts where I completely finished the campaign of. While I liked the rts genre during these years, I'd usually get bored of the campaign modes fairly quickly because they are so dry and formulaic. Not Warcraft III though, because it was so well designed and varied. In my family we would also often play Tower Defence custom maps. Then, there's of course Zelda: The Wind Waker. This is a Zelda game, which is a big plus to me in itself and it has a few great moments, but I've always seen this game as a big step down from the N64 Zelda games and I'd still rank it as my least favourite 3D Zelda game. The dungeons were fewer and much less intricate or too short and the world less interesting because of the relatively small areas (the islands). It also notably suffers from its rushed release. However, the game shone maybe brightest of all Zelda games in the music department. The soundtrack is absolutely perfect for the tone of this game and the main theme is extremely catchy. Lastly from that list I played Super Mario Sunshine, and completed it, but like The Wind Waker I've always seen this as a step down. This is why the GameCube was a disappointment to me, the 'main' games were almost all less than their N64 predecessors. In my view it was, and still is, night and day. In Mario's case, the levels that are most fun were the ones without FLUDD, the water tank, because then you'd actually be platforming, but those were just a small part. Sadly I never played Metroid Prime, and by now after the demise of Dreamcast the GameCube was my only console.

Next to those, the other list mentions a few more great games. In particular I played a lot of SoulCalibur 2, on GameCube with Link as the best guest character of the game. I loved the story mode in this one with the stages on a big map. Then, one of my all-time favourites would get a more or less equally great sequel in No One Lives Forever 2. This game was just more of what the original already excellently did, and that was all what was needed. I played through it multiple times. The GameBoy Advance would get a port of Zelda: A Link to the Past, which obviously is amazing and this was the first time I would beat that game, having been too young before, but it also came with something new; Four Swords. A multiplayer Zelda game. I took me years before I could finally play it, but sadly I have to say I found it was terrible. This concept just doesn't work, which was proven many years later with Triforce Heroes, which was maybe even worse. Still, there was also Metroid Fusion. Which is great, and I'd say better than Super Metroid actually. It is a very immersive game, almost horror. I wouldn't play it until it came to 3DS however because by this time, I would grow out of handhelds as well.

Then this list also names RollerCoaster Tycoon 2. And this is where it is at for me. A bit like No One Lives Forever 2, this sequel took what the first game was, and did so well, and just gave more of it. It also improved it in many, many ways. With the upgraded, simple scenery building system for example, you can make basically anything you can dream up. And I did. I really did. I spent 1000s of hours with this, building enormous theme-parks, fully decorated with elaborate detailed themes over the years. It is one my most played and favourite games of all-time, and ranks very high in my personal top 10.

2002 was also the year of a game that I adored almost as much as RollerCoaster Tycoon 2, Star Wars Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast. One of the best Star Wars games ever made, with probably the best use of lightsaber combat and Force abilities. Their execution is simple unlike more modern games like Force Unleashed or I would assume Jedi Survivor, because it is actually an fps based on Quake III's idTech 3 (one of the most solid game engines ever if you asked me) engine, but that makes it all the more satisfying. The story is great and the locales and familiar music cues are obviously iconic. This is everything a Star Wars fan could ask for. Lastly I also played some of Medal of Honor Allied Assault this year, which is memorable to me because there was a glitch in a multiplayer map which let you go out of bounds and go underneath a part of the level so you could shoot up at your enemies. And cheating is fun.

But all in all I think it's clear which game wins this year to me. 2002 is one of the all-time greatest years, but to me it comes down to RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 and Star Wars Jedi Knight II. The latter would have a good chance to win any year if not for RollerCoaster Tycoon 2, which gets my vote with (again) 'Other'.

It’s commitment to immersion and attention to detail were second to none, and still remain impressive more than two decades later. From steam and rain running down your visor, to the heat haze rising from your arm cannon after heavy firing, it grounds you in its world to the point where you can practically feel the wind of Tallon IV.

It brings its series and its genre into 3D with every bit as much genius as Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time did the previous decade, if not more, and it remains not just the best game of 2002, but one of the best video games ever made.