By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - August Circana (NPD) 2023 Thread + Predictions

August 2023 Circana (NPD) covers the four week period from July 30 to August 26 and will be released on September 15.

Be sure to get your predictions in. Since NPD leaks don't happen nearly as often as it used to and hardware revenue is something we do get, be sure to include revenue in your predictions.

Feel free to also predict what you think the top software games will be for the month.

Example prediction:

[Total Hardware Revenue]

1. [#1 selling console] XXX,000
  2. [#2 selling console] XXX,000
  3. [#3 selling console] XXX,000

TLDR:

Units: PS5 > XS > NS
Revenue: PS5 > XS > NS

Link to the VGChartz article here.

PS5 Best-Selling Console in the US in August, Xbox Series X|S Outsells Switch

The PlayStation 5 was the best-selling console in the US in August 2023 in terms of units sold and dollar sales, according to figures from Circana (formerly The NPD Group). Circana includes the dates for the four week period of July 30 to August 26.

The Xbox Series X|S was the second best-selling console in terms of units sold and dollar sales, while the Nintendo Switch came in third place for both metrics.

PlayStation 5 dollar sales were down in the single-digit percentage in August compared to a year ago, while the Xbox Series X|S and Switch both declined by a double-digit percentage. Unit sales for the PlayStation 5 are up year-on-year, while the Xbox Series X|S and Switch are down.

2023 year-to-date the PlayStation 5 is the best-selling console in terms of both units sold and dollar sales.

Overall spending on video games in August was up three percent year-on-year from $4.08 billion to $4.20 billion. Spending on video game content increased four percent from $3.56 billion to $43.72 billion, while video game hardware sales dropped 13 percent percent from $376 million to $328 million.

Overall spending on video games in 2023 year-to-date is up two percent from $34.36 billion to $34.89 billion. Spending on video game content is up less than one percent from $30.09 billion to $30.23 billion, while video game hardware sales is up 13 percent from $2.87 billion to $3.25 billion.

"August 2023 U.S. consumer spending on video game content, hardware and accessories grew 3% vs YA, to $4.2B," said Circana Executive Director and Video Game Industry Analyst Mat Piscatella. "Growth across both content and accessories spending offset a double-digit percentage decline in hardware."

Piscatella added, "Spending on video game content in August grew 4% vs YA, to $3.7B. On console and PC platforms, growth in digital premium downloads offset declines across physical SW and digital add-ons. Non-mobile subscription spending fell 4%, while Sensor Tower reported mobile growth of 2.5%."

There were two new releases in the top 20 best-selling games. Madden NFL 24 debuted in first place and is already the sixth best-selling game of 2023. This is the 24th consecutive year a Madden NFL debuted in first place.

Launch sales for Madden NFL 24 were up by a double-digital percentage when compared to 2022's Madden NFL 23.

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon debuted in second place and is the 20th best-selling game of 2023 after just one month on the market.

The launch of Baldur’s Gate 3 helped boost in the digital premium download spending in the PC, Cloud, and non-Console VR content segment by 132 percent. However, digital sales of Baldur's Gate 3 are not included in the best-sellers chart as publisher Larian Studios does not share that information.

Here are the top 20 best-selling games in terms of dollars for August 2023:

Here are the top 20 best-selling games in 2023 year-to-date:

Last edited by trunkswd - on 15 September 2023

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

PS5- 620k
Switch- 270k
xbox- 260k

Revenue: $420 million

PS5 - 560k
Switch - 250k
Xbox - 220k

Top selling software is Baldur's Gate 3. September and October will be much more interesting.

Last edited by Kyuu - on 12 September 2023

PS5 500k
Switch 300k
Xbox 225k

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Revenue: 335 mil

[PS5] 375k
[NS] 250k
[XBS] 175k

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network

[PS5] 476k
[NS] 262k
[XBS] 193k

While I'm sure Sony won due to the price cuts, I am not sure as sure as to how much or who came in second.
Logic states that Switch came in second but I am expecting to see a spike in Xbox sells as well.
September will be even more interesting as some have already stated. I think that Xbox can beat Switch in September.

PS5 [550k]
SW [250k]
XSX [245k]

Because of this I think Xbox will beat Switch in Dollars.

PlayStation 5 continued to lead the 2023 hardware market across both units and dollars. Year-to-date hardware spending was 13% higher when compared to the same period in 2022, at $3.2 billion.

PlayStation 5 was the best-selling hardware platform in both unit and dollar sales during August 2023, with Xbox Series ranking 2nd across both measures.

Video game hardware spending fell 13% when compared to a year ago, to $328 million. PlayStation 5 dollar sales fell by a single-digit percentage in the month when compared to a year ago, while both Switch and Xbox Series declined by a double-digit percentage.

CosmicSex said:

PlayStation 5 continued to lead the 2023 hardware market across both units and dollars. Year-to-date hardware spending was 13% higher when compared to the same period in 2022, at $3.2 billion.

PlayStation 5 was the best-selling hardware platform in both unit and dollar sales during August 2023, with Xbox Series ranking 2nd across both measures.

Video game hardware spending fell 13% when compared to a year ago, to $328 million. PlayStation 5 dollar sales fell by a single-digit percentage in the month when compared to a year ago, while both Switch and Xbox Series declined by a double-digit percentage.

PS5 dollar sales were down by a single digit percentage in august compared to a year ago, But its unit sales were up

Where as xbox and Switch are down in both dollar and unit sales compared to a year ago.

Confirmed by Mat piscatella on twitter.