By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - VGC: Switch 2 Was Shown At Gamescom Running Matrix Awakens UE5 Demo

You can see from TSMC's own chip roadmap ... N4P (the advanced 5nm node) by TSMC's own labelling transitions to "middle-to-low end mobile" customers in 2024. 

Take a wild guess which system is beginning manufacturing production and launching in 2024. 

And TSMC knows all this stuff years in advance, Nintendo would have known this simply by talking to them years ago. As Apple leaves 5nm, a shit-ton of capacity for 5nm opens up. We can even see by 2026, the N3P (3nm) process will transition down to mid-to-low end range too (hello Switch 2 Lite). 

Samsung may offer cheaper wafers, but the chip would be so massive on 8nm that you're not really saving any money. Even at $7k/wafer for Samsung vs $14k/wafer for TSMC, you have to understand the chips on the Samsung wafer are more than double the size (because it's 8nm) so per wafer you're getting like only 1/2 the amount of finished chips. A TSMC 4N wafer is going to be able to have double the amount of chips on a normal wafer because they're roughly half the size of the Samsung ones (again 8nm vs 4nm). And TSMC will have better yields on top of that. 

Samsung is not charging less/wafer out of the goodness of their heart. They charge less because they know that on a node like 5nm you can get way more finished dies per wafer than you can on 8nm, they have no choice to charge less for 8nm. 

Around the Network

https://twitter.com/Tech_Reve/status/1702886804775727542?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1702886804775727542%7Ctwgr%5Ea3195ad39378c5bf2d8d6d6f705b054c8abfe27f%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwccftech.com%2Fnintendo-switch-2-soc-packs-nvidia-ampere-gpu-1280-cores-8-cortex-a78-cpu-cores%2F

Another inside source for samsung tech source saying it's a improved 8nm version. Digital foundry also talked about the 8nm leak. in the end of day its still gonna be huge step up from switch but advanced third party games will struggle.

"Revegnus" said Tegra T234 was cancelled just this month ...

When it's been available for sale for several months now. This is like a gaming "insider" saying that Street Fighter 6 is cancelled when people have been playing it for weeks. This person doesn't know what they're talking about. 

it's pretty clear he mean cancelled for switch 2, and not cancelled.

We've known Tegra T239 is the Switch 2 chip for like 2 years now, this person doesn't know shit. Tegra T234 is a chip for self driving cars anyone who knows anything about that knows it wouldn't work for a game console and was never in consideration for a Switch 2. Also I thought you were not to post in any of my threads.

Around the Network

Every leaker is saying 8nm like 4 of them. anyway forgot this was your thread, so i'm out unless any real news comes, i'll probably make a new thread. the chances of nintendo surprising to the upside are 1%. 

Time will tell. I still think some are expecting far too much. Xbox One to ps4 is still the most likely output from the switch 2.  DLSS still needs at least 720p for quality scaling, ideally 1080p which will take a good amount of resources.  A portable Xbox one will be amazing and something that shouldn't be disappointing.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

Time will tell. I still think some are expecting far too much. Xbox One to ps4 is still the most likely output from the switch 2.

Xbox One/Ps4 level performance leaked through MS, basically it's an email showing that when Activision said it was around that spec they weren't just guessing, they'd already been briefed directly. So most likely you are right.

None of these leakers know anything, if they did we'd have some actual details from them, but every detail past the one single bit of info (T239 as a name) has turned out incorrect. Kopite got one thing right and just the naming and then proceeded to get 4 or 5 other things wrong, if you know everything about the chip how are you getting 5/6 things wrong about it?

The only reliable real info is from the two massive Nvidia leaks/ransomware attacks. Those show you the hardware specs and several other details straight from Nvidia. From that we know the CPU, we know the CUDA cores (1536), ray tracing functionality is in, DLSS is in, we know the graphics API (NVN2), we know several other things, that's direct from Nvidia.

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

Time will tell. I still think some are expecting far too much. Xbox One to ps4 is still the most likely output from the switch 2.

Xbox One/Ps4 level performance leaked through MS, basically it's an email showing that when Activision said it was around that spec they weren't just guessing, they'd already been briefed directly. So most likely you are right.

And I can't wait.  Ps3 to ps4 was a nice jump.  Dark Souls 3 is way more impressive than Souls 1 in atmosphere and fidelity.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED