By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - VGC: Switch 2 Was Shown At Gamescom Running Matrix Awakens UE5 Demo

Believe it when I see it. My guess is people are going to hype the switch 2 with unrealistic expectations and the same people will be the first to complain about the actual switch 2 being "underpowered."

I also enjoy watching people take rumors, leaks and anonymous sources as confirmation.  

The switch, in handheld, is a ps3....  and some how the switch 2, in visual fidelity, is going to jump the ps4 and ps4 pro and land near the ps5.....  and this magical generation leaping tech, only Nintendo has the inside track.

As much as I want to believe it, I simply don't. 

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 07 September 2023

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

Believe it when I see it. My guess is people are going to hype the switch 2 with unrealistic expectations and the same people will be the first to complain about the actual switch 2 being "underpowered."

I also enjoy watching people take rumors, leaks and anonymous sources as confirmation.  

The switch, in handheld, is a ps3....  and some how the switch 2, in visual fidelity, is going to jump the ps4 and ps4 pro and land near the ps5.....  and this magical generation leaping tech, only Nintendo has the inside track.

The Switch is closer to the PS4 than people think it is. 

If the Switch 1 had DLSS, this comparison would become way, way closer because the blurry/low res look the Switch would suddenly become much closer to or right on par with the PS4. 

It's not like DOOM Eternal (or Witcher 3 or Wolfenstein) are like small scale indie games, those are basically like your standard big ticket 3rd party PS4 release. 

Without DLSS it can look like a blurry, muddy version and I think for a lot of devs that juice wasn't worth the squeeze, but if that wasn't the case, things become a whole lot dicier. If the Switch only had to render 1/9th the resolution of the PS4 and could still output a clean, high-res looking image ... it would turn comparisons like this upside down. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 07 September 2023

Chrkeller said:

Definitely good to be skeptical. I would be very surprised if Switch 2 matches PS5 no matter how good DLSS is. At best I'd expect, in terms of AAA console ports, graphics close to the current gen console version but running at 30fps and 1080p rather than 60fps and 4k, and no ray tracing. Which would be fantastic. If its more than that, as these rumors suggest, I would be pleasantly surprised. If it's a bit less than that I wouldn't be surprised.

In regards to you comment though, there's nothing magic about the tech, and nothing mysterious about only Nintendo getting it. The tech is called DLSS and is very much a real thing and currently used in PC chips. And its an Nvidia technology, Nintendo uses Nvidia chips, the consoles don't, so that covers the "only Nintendo has the inside track" bit.

Basically, if Switch 2 has close to PS4 level specs, its reasonable that with DLSS it'll essentially be PS4 Pro level. There's not a huge gulf between PS4 Pro and PS5. If Switch 2 can operate at PS4 Pro level thanks to DLSS that basically means it should be able to get current gen console ports with minimal graphical changes, especially if they aren't bothering to run ports at 4k and 60fps. I'll be skeptical until we actually start hearing what the Switch 2 can do, but given the technology it doesn't seem unreasonable that it'll be able to run current gen console games while only needing to change the resolution and framerate down to standard settings rather than high end settings.

DLSS can give Switch 2 the chance to be much closer to the home consoles than Switch was, and since this console gen targets high end fps/resolution settings much more so than the last console gen did, that allows Nintendo to further close the gap maybe even basically down to parity in terms of being able to run ports if they run these games with standard settings (ie 1080p/30fps docked, 720p/30fps handheld) rather than high end settings.

Last edited by Slownenberg - on 07 September 2023

Slownenberg said:
Chrkeller said:

Definitely good to be skeptical. I would be very surprised if Switch 2 matches PS5 no matter how good DLSS is. At best I'd expect, in terms of AAA console ports, graphics close to the current gen console version but running at 30fps and 1080p rather than 60fps and 4k, and no ray tracing. Which would be fantastic. If its more than that, as these rumors suggest, I would be pleasantly surprised. If it's a bit less than that I wouldn't be surprised.

In regards to you comment though, there's nothing magic about the tech, and nothing mysterious about only Nintendo getting it. The tech is called DLSS and is very much a real thing and currently used in PC chips. And its an Nvidia technology, Nintendo uses Nvidia chips, the consoles don't, so that covers the "only Nintendo has the inside track" bit.

Basically, if Switch 2 has close to PS4 level specs, its reasonable that with DLSS it'll essentially be PS4 Pro level. There's not a huge gulf between PS4 Pro and PS5. If Switch 2 can operate at PS4 Pro level thanks to DLSS that basically means it should be able to get current gen console ports with minimal graphical changes, especially if they aren't bothering to run ports at 4k and 60fps. I'll be skeptical until we actually start hearing what the Switch 2 can do, but given the technology it doesn't seem unreasonable that it'll be able to run current gen console games while only needing to change the resolution and framerate down to standard settings rather than high end settings. DLSS can give Switch 2 the chance to be much closer to the home consoles than Switch was, and since this gen targets high end fps/resolution settings much more so than the last console gen did, that allows Nintendo to not worry about high settings and further close the gap in terms of being able to run ports.

PS4 Pro is still quite a bit behind Nvidia Ampere architecture (which is what the Switch 2 is rumored to be). You have to account for that too. 

It might just be better to say ... take a PS5. Now drop teraflop performance by lets say 4x (so 1/4 as powerful) and replace the big bandwidth DDR6 RAM with slower LPDDR5 RAM. But add DLSS.

I'm skeptical. Does this mean the Switch 2 will be priced at $500?

Around the Network

Tbh we need to take the rumors that suggest the Switch 2 will be God-like in horsepower with a big grain of salt.

I feel like rumors before a Nintendo console launches always overestimates how powerful the console will be. I remeber when the Wall Street Journal at one point said the Nintendo NX will have industry leading chips. We even had rumors that stated that the 3DS was noticably more powerful than the Wii and that it was close to PS3 & Xbox 360 levels in performance which of course was laugably wrong, developers and rumors also kept saying how Wii U was a true next gen system in capabilities when it really wasnt. This rumor seems to be overestimating the horsepower yet again by suggesting it could reach PS5 level in performance which is impossible, idc how big of a difference DLSS makes, it's impossible for a handheld to get to that level.

Plus at the end of the day it's Nintendo, they haven't cared at all about being super powerful in over 20 years, and the huge success of the underpowered Switch only proves to them even more than they don't need to go all out on specs, you always gotta expect the bare minimum from Nintendo when talking specs, the past 20 years of their consoles only proves that.

Nice

But the important question is - will it support b/c

Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

If the Switch 1 had DLSS, this comparison would become way, way closer because the blurry/low res look the Switch would suddenly become much closer to or right on par with the PS4. 

It's not like DOOM Eternal (or Witcher 3 or Wolfenstein) are like small scale indie games, those are basically like your standard big ticket 3rd party PS4 release. 

Without DLSS it can look like a blurry, muddy version and I think for a lot of devs that juice wasn't worth the squeeze, but if that wasn't the case, things become a whole lot dicier. If the Switch only had to render 1/9th the resolution of the PS4 and could still output a clean, high-res looking image ... it would turn comparisons like this upside down. 

It was all good until you use Doom as an example of a "good" port lol... I'm sorry textures and resolution are horrible. Why you ruined everything ?

That being said, I'm all for Final Fantasy VII Remake and FFXVI being ported on Switch 2. But Nintendo players, you better buy them if it comes. I want my favorite saga to have great sales. Same thing for Persona.

Last edited by -Adonis- - on 07 September 2023

Shatts said:

I'm skeptical. Does this mean the Switch 2 will be priced at $500?

Didn't you predict $400 for the same performance as the Series S ?

-Adonis- said:
Soundwave said:

It was all good until you use Doom as an example of a "good" port lol... I'm sorry textures and resolution are horrible.

That being said, I'm all for Final Fantasy VII Remake and FFXVI being ported on Switch 2. But Nintendo players, you better buy them if it comes. I want my favorite saga to have great sales. Same thing for Persona.

I'll buy the obvious FFXVI Remake trilogy package when it comes out but no way I'm touching FFXVI.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909