By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Immortals of Aveum: Unreal Engine 5 at 60fps comes at a price (Digital Foundry)

Otter said:

They're likely PC gamers taking games (can toggle options including using DLSS) and likely not talking about this exact implementation of FSR2 in this game. No one is praising this game for how it responses the image on consoles. Plenty of games are upscaled and do not have this level of artefacting.

Upscaling is hugely important going forward but developers need to figure out what basis to start from (resolution wise) and which implementations to use.

yes not for this game, but in general they are saying "upscaling is a godsend", and pushing anyone down who wants to have the option for brute forcing along with upscaling, instead of us having to solely rely on upscaling, going forward. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

Time will tell, but hopefully we're not headed for a generation where devs don't bother optimizing for a decent resolution and just slap FSR over the top as a bandaid.

Smart upscaling tech like FSR can be an impressive tool when used right, but it isn't magic and even watching it on Youtube it's clear Immortals of Aveum's image quality is less than stellar.

I'm not a stickler for perfect graphics, I'm a satisfied Switch owner after all, but there's a point where it seems a bit ridiculous to have sub-Gamecube resolutions on a 9th gen home console. 

WOW you make all the DF threads and only own a switch lmao.

I'm planning to get an Xbox Series X and soon I will be moving in with my girlfriend who is getting a PS5 soon, so I'll be playing on those as well.

I'm not a Nintendo only gamer, I had a PS3 and 360 in gen 7, and an Xbox in gen 6.

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

WOW you make all the DF threads and only own a switch lmao.

I'm planning to get an Xbox Series X and soon I will be moving in with my girlfriend who is getting a PS5 soon, so I'll be playing on those as well.

I'm not a Nintendo only gamer, I had a PS3 and 360 in gen 7, and an Xbox in gen 6.

Yea i understand. Still surprised you don't have PC or current gen console since you seem to like discussing tech so much and you have hardware that's ancient now.

Random_Matt said:
Chrkeller said:

I was shocked by Sony's support of PC ports... next gen just might PC and switch 2. I have a cheap 3050 and shockingly it isn't bad compared to consoles. I can't imagine having a real gpu.

A lot of PC gamer's are literally just doing that already with the original switch. 

RTX 30 series is superior to RDNA 2 in some departments as RT. The PS5 GPU is about as strong as a RTX2060 super. So the RTX3050 isn't even that much weaker than PS5 is GPU, also it would run circles around Series S GPU. That card is good to go for at least 6 more years. As long as a game can run on PS5 your rig can run it too.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:
Random_Matt said:

A lot of PC gamer's are literally just doing that already with the original switch. 

RTX 30 series is superior to RDNA 2 in some departments as RT. The PS5 GPU is about as strong as a RTX2060 super. So the RTX3050 isn't even that much weaker than PS5 is GPU, also it would run circles around Series S GPU. That card is good to go for at least 6 more years. As long as a game can run on PS5 your rig can run it too.

Actually according to Digital Foundry PS5 GPU is comparable to RTX 4060 in rasterization.

Around the Network
Radek said:
Qwark said:

Actually according to Digital Foundry PS5 GPU is comparable to RTX 4060 in rasterization.

Too bad one has skimped on vram.

Well in parts the game does look stunning and showcases UE5, but you can clearly see issues with upscaling AI causing artefacts and blurring when sing such low resolutions and 60fps to go all the way up to 4k, so there appears to be plenty of growth to go in this space before we get an artefacts free image.

It would have been good to know if the base resolution was say 1080p or 1440p, how much artefacts and blurring would happen at 4k, forgetting about the FPS, as this would be a good test to see what the minimum standard should be to upscale to 4k to try an maintain visuals.

DLSS is meant to be the secret sauce for Switch 2, but after seeing this video, I am not sure I would want to use upscaling AI from such extreme low resolutions to get to 4K as it will probably end up looking even worst then the base xbox model. Upscaling in handheld mode may make sense to help improve battery life, but in docked mode, perhaps it can be used to help maintain 1080p with better visuals rather then shoot for 4k resolutions

Random_Matt said:
Radek said:

Too bad one has skimped on vram.

The low bus size (128 bit) doesn't help either for the TI version with 16GB

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

I'm not sure I'm buying the ps5 is on the 4060 level. My 3050 seems fairly close to the ps5 and according to benchmarks the 4060 dominates my 3050.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

I'm not sure I'm buying the ps5 is on the 4060 level. My 3050 seems fairly close to the ps5 and according to benchmarks the 4060 dominates my 3050.

Lol 3050 is even slower than 1660 Ti. I don't think 3050 can do TLOU 1 at 1440p 60 fps. Anyway no reason not to trust Digital Foundry who was literally comparing PS5 games with unlocked framerate to PC version running on 4060.