By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Portal (Remote Play device) announced for $199, coming November 15th

Leynos said:

but what if they made this instead.

Would look better, probably play more games and being independent, but would it be better to hold?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Leynos said:

Would look better, probably play more games and being independent, but would it be better to hold?

Better than the default Switch configuration.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

Controller prices are already a ripoff to be honest. And console wraps too. 

zorg1000 said:

I assume Sony knows it’s a relatively niche product so are selling it at a comfortable profit margin.

Also I’m not sure the price of those other devices are relevant because this device is aimed at a specific audience of people who want to play the PS5 games they already own in a handheld format. Various Switch or Xbox models can’t do that and require building a whole new library of games.

That's the thing, it offers a relatively narrow range of use cases, much more so than a lot of other things that compete for our gaming dollar. For $200 you can buy multiple big new games, or get a Backbone, a new game on top, and still pocket $30 or more. In this economy, a niche novelty is a tough sell.

If one falls within its limited focus then cool, but even among core PS fans I expect that's a small minority.

True but the same can be said of pretty much all the accessories/add-ons Sony has released over the years, like PSOne LCD screen, Eyetoy, PSP Camera, PS Move, PSTV, PSVR, etc. they have ranged from failures to modest successes at best.

Remember in 2000 when Sony released a $129 screen add-on and car adaptor so you could play PS games on road trips? You could argue Portal is a modern version of this.

I just don’t think it being a niche product that only appeals to a small percent of PS5 owners is a valid argument. Look at PSVR, it took over 3 years to sell 5 million units (last official numbers) and PS4 sales were 106 million at the time so less than 5% attach rate and they seemed happy with this (enough to get a successor) so I think they are fine if Portal only sells 2-3 million.

I'm sure Sony will be fine, yeah, the investment here is fairly light so it's not gonna haemorrhage money, and if one falls within the specific target audience for this then great. I was speaking in more in terms of the general audience.

Leynos said:

The analog positioning on this is terrible. my hands feel uncomfortable just looking at it.

And I can't imagine that the grips would be that comfortable for long sessions either.

Have you never played a Vita? Sticks are fine.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

One big miss is not having Bluetooth on this device. You would think Sony would stop trying to push their own proprietary tech and especially since they have some of the best Bluetooth buds out there. Sigh, it just ups the cost of this device even more if you want to use buds while you are in bed with your significant other and not interrupt them with your game playing.

Leynos said:

Have you never played a Vita? Sticks are fine.

Vita stick positions are similar but not quite the same.

I've been super uninterested in the current consoles this gen, but this actually might have a use case for me.

Since the Stream Deck released, I've actually been waiting and hoping for a steam home console which could be my main "console" this generation. Since that wouldn't be able to play console exclusives, I'll be unable to play attractive looking Sony/Xbox exclusives. But I have friends who have PS5s, and buying this could give me a "sharing Netflix accounts" situation where I can just mooch off of their systems and just play my games on their systems when they're not using it. $200 so I don't have to buy/store a PS5 for the 2-3 games I'm actually interested in playing on it? Color me interested.

Also for long time VGCers, ignore that you recognize this pfp. 👀

Frogger said:

I've been super uninterested in the current consoles this gen, but this actually might have a use case for me.

Since the Stream Deck released, I've actually been waiting and hoping for a steam home console which could be my main "console" this generation. Since that wouldn't be able to play console exclusives, I'll be unable to play attractive looking Sony/Xbox exclusives. But I have friends who have PS5s, and buying this could give me a "sharing Netflix accounts" situation where I can just mooch off of their systems and just play my games on their systems when they're not using it. $200 so I don't have to buy/store a PS5 for the 2-3 games I'm actually interested in playing on it? Color me interested.

Also for long time VGCers, ignore that you recognize this pfp. 👀

So you would visit friends just to sit alone and play on or watch Netflix from their PS5? 

I thought you could play as long as you have internet and they aren't playing