By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Portal (Remote Play device) announced for $199, coming November 15th

Frogger said:

I thought you could play as long as you have internet and they aren't playing

Its through wifi. Its like a Wii U gamepad. The PS5 would need to be close by.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Frogger said:

The PS5 needs to be connected to wifi and the PS Portal need to be connected to wifi, they don't need to be the same wifi.  

Sony's official FAQ

While your home Wi-Fi network represents a great option to use PlayStation Portal™ Remote Player because you have control over the quality of your own home Wi-Fi, it is not required. PlayStation Portal™ Remote Player can also be played wherever you have access to broadband internet Wi-Fi with at least 5Mbps for use1. For a better play experience, a high-speed connection of at least 15Mbps is recommended. If you are using public Wi-Fi, be aware that the quality of the internet connection may be out of your control, and could impact the quality of your play experience.

the-pi-guy said:
KLXVER said:

The PS5 needs to be connected to wifi and the PS Portal need to be connected to wifi, they don't need to be the same wifi.  

Sony's official FAQ

While your home Wi-Fi network represents a great option to use PlayStation Portal™ Remote Player because you have control over the quality of your own home Wi-Fi, it is not required. PlayStation Portal™ Remote Player can also be played wherever you have access to broadband internet Wi-Fi with at least 5Mbps for use1. For a better play experience, a high-speed connection of at least 15Mbps is recommended. If you are using public Wi-Fi, be aware that the quality of the internet connection may be out of your control, and could impact the quality of your play experience.

Really? Well I stand corrected. The Wii U gamepad comparisons arent really that accurate then. 

So you can play it anywhere that have wifi as long as your PS5 is on? And is there a way to turn on your PS5 from your phone or something?

Yeah I'm pretty sure the Wii U gamepad doesn't use wifi anyway. And I can just ask my friend to keep their PS5 on rest mode. I haven't turned off my PS4, for example, literally since I bought it lol.

I think i'm excited for this.

Last edited by Bandorr - on 18 September 2023

You are bound to love Earthbound.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:

Really? Well I stand corrected. The Wii U gamepad comparisons arent really that accurate then. 

So you can play it anywhere that have wifi as long as your PS5 is on? And is there a way to turn on your PS5 from your phone or something?

Yes.

As long as the PS5 is in rest mode.

the-pi-guy said:
KLXVER said:

Yes.

As long as the PS5 is in rest mode.

Well that makes it better at least. Not great, but better than many Ive heard from make it out to be.

Frogger said:

As long as the PS5 is available and internet connection is good enough you should be able to play

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Cool, I thought it had to be within range of the PS5 like Wii U Gamepad. Nice to know that’s not the case.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

Cool, I thought it had to be within range of the PS5 like Wii U Gamepad. Nice to know that’s not the case.

That whole keeping it in range of the PS5 was what i thought. Honestly now i could see this selling more than i originaly thought as Ps5 users could use it to play their PS5 games when they are away from home as long as their internet is good enough.