399.99 66 57.39%

449.99 8 6.96%

499.99 5 4.35%

549.99 1 0.87%

599.99 1 0.87%

Total:115
Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

You maybe right, time will tell.  I'm not buying better than ps4 because of battery life issues.  I've read the Steam Deck gets like 2 hours and unless I'm mistaken the Deck isn't quite a ps4.  And now we are thinking the Switch 2 is above the ps4?  Maybe.  

I'll let it rest with my final prediction.  $400 and less powerful than the Deck is where the Switch 2 will land.

It's kind of apples/oranges comparison. The Steam Deck is an x86 chip, the downside to it is it eats a shit ton more battery than an ARM system on chip will. 

That's not necessarily true anymore these days. Most X86 chips are clocked way beyond their sweet spot, which causes them to consume much more power than they could at lowered clock speeds, which is generally in the range of 2-2.5Ghz. An X86 CPU based on Zen4c cores for instance could very well sip just as little power as an ARM chip while having greater compatibility (meaning easier porting of games) and potentially higher performance to boot.

That being said, considering what Nintendo did with the Switch, it's probable that Nintendo drops the clock speeds down beyond what is practical on an X86 chip to consume even less power. If Nintendo picks NVidia' Tegra Orin for instance, I fully expect a clock speed for the CPU of below 1.5 Ghz (1.2Ghz looks like a good bet for me). ARM chips still drop significantly enough in power draw at those clock speeds while on X86 chips the power draw doesn't drop much anymore and just costs performance at that point.

Around the Network

People talking tech over here and Nintendo's past history as well. I think I went through the whole thread, and I don't recall seeing the following argument (forgive me if I'm mistaken): apart from being an incredible little machine with a fantastic library, the Switch became a trendy, desirable gadget that people simply want to have. If Nintendo plays their cards right, they can launch it as simply “Switch 2” and a massive number of people will upgrade (I know I will) and many others that did not have the original will want to make part of the trend. It's not simply a videogame console anymore, it became part of a cultural phenomenon that neither Sony nor Microsoft are in a position to replicate at this exact point in time. Kids want it; their parents want it; friends of the parents want it; friends of the kids think it's cool and, even if a few years back they would say "ughh, no CoD", now they know it's ok to have one (maybe as a secondary console so they can say to friends they play CoD but secretly they are enjoying animal Crossing or Mario). The pricing is not a thing now but perceived value, mainly for culture status and so, and maybe we should ventilate the possibility that Nintendo keeps the original Switch around with NO price cuts whatsoever and sell the S2 at a premium price. It's probably not gonna happen, but this is an exercise in thought we are allowed to do now. It would be absolutely impossible to do the same back in 2016, when people would call you crazy. But not now when Switch is a gigantic commercial hit and a piece of cultural event as well. We should consider that aspect as well when discussing pricing. Hopefully Nintendo doesn’t screw it over.

farlaff said:

People talking tech over here and Nintendo's past history as well. I think I went through the whole thread, and I don't recall seeing the following argument (forgive me if I'm mistaken): apart from being an incredible little machine with a fantastic library, the Switch became a trendy, desirable gadget that people simply want to have. If Nintendo plays their cards right, they can launch it as simply “Switch 2” and a massive number of people will upgrade (I know I will) and many others that did not have the original will want to make part of the trend. It's not simply a videogame console anymore, it became part of a cultural phenomenon that neither Sony nor Microsoft are in a position to replicate at this exact point in time. Kids want it; their parents want it; friends of the parents want it; friends of the kids think it's cool and, even if a few years back they would say "ughh, no CoD", now they know it's ok to have one (maybe as a secondary console so they can say to friends they play CoD but secretly they are enjoying animal Crossing or Mario). The pricing is not a thing now but perceived value, mainly for culture status and so, and maybe we should ventilate the possibility that Nintendo keeps the original Switch around with NO price cuts whatsoever and sell the S2 at a premium price. It's probably not gonna happen, but this is an exercise in thought we are allowed to do now. It would be absolutely impossible to do the same back in 2016, when people would call you crazy. But not now when Switch is a gigantic commercial hit and a piece of cultural event as well. We should consider that aspect as well when discussing pricing. Hopefully Nintendo doesn’t screw it over.

I think I said as far back as 2018, in the Switch, Nintendo has finally found their "PlayStation."

Their desirable, trendy gadget as you say, that everyone wants a piece of. Not just the casual gamer market and mainstream audience who don't play video games a lot outside of Mario, COD, and the yearly sports games. But also the dedicated gamer market and more niche audiences who follow specific brands and franchises day to day and view gaming not just as a hobby but a lifestyle - People like us.

They thought they had it w/ the Wii 15 years ago. But the difference between a "Wii" and a "PlayStation" is that the Wii was clearly a 'lightening in a bottle' fad that was going to wear off, especially since its tech was something that the competitors would adapt on their own in due time as peripherals in addition to their base consoles. That + the combination of the casual gamer market leaving in droves to the mobile gaming market for free downloads and a few bucks at a time as opposed to $250-300 + $50-60 per game was a MUCH more attractive investment. And Nintendo made the mistake of relying on that audience so much that they alienated the dedicated gamer market who stuck w/ them through the SNES, N64, and GCN that they bailed on them midway through the Wii cycle when they saw their tastes and preferences weren't a priority for Nintendo like they were w/ Sony and Microsoft and it took Nintendo an entire console cycle, from midway through the Wii U's life cycle to midway through the Switch's life cycle to get that trust and goodwill back. And it was thanks in large part to the Switch itself and the concept behind that convinced those people to give Nintendo another chance and their investment has been rewarded in spades.

I think it'll be priced at $349.99. Well, at least, I hope it does.

Soundwave said:

You're not getting something that is going to be like 7-8x more powerful than a Switch OLED for the same $350 in one year. 

I don't see it.

It's going to be $399.99 minimum, I would not be surprised if a $449.99 SKU with higher storage (256GB?) might be in the cards also. Digital purchases are a big deal now, whereas for like the Wii U it was sort of a "so what?" ... most people still bought physical back then and because the Wii U wasn't portable you could just plug in a flash drive or HDD and leave it there with no fuss.

For Switch 2, having more storage is kind of a big deal as many people are digital only and the game sizes are likely to increase next gen given the Switch 2 is going to be somewhere between a PS4++ in power with a feature set that is more like a PS5 (Ampere based Nvidia chips are a better architecture than the AMD crap the PS5/XBS use). 

$399-$450 is perfectly acceptable. The Super NES today would be over $400, the N64 right around $400 with inflation. You can't just compare to the freaking Game Boy and GBA forever. The Switch 2 is a *console* too, unless you are just revising history and making it so the Game Boy Advance was a home console that would hook up to the TV and was capable of running Nintendo's console games (funny I don't remember ever playing Metroid Prime or Super Mario Sunshine or Resident Evil 4 on the GBA, do you?). You have to compare to the home consoles in terms of pricing. 

The Switch 2 will be able to play the newest mainline 3D Mario, Mario Kart, next-gen Zelda, Smash, etc. on top of some modern 3rd party games like probably Street Fighter VI, Call of Duty, EA FIFA/FC, Witcher 4 (?), and Dragon Quest XII among others (I wouldn't be surprised at all with a Final Fantasy XVI port, Square-Enix needs the $$$). You can't just sit there and say "price it like a Game Boy or DS please", like that's fucking bonkers. 

For people who can't afford $350+ or are young children and the parents don't want to spend big on their gaming consumption, there's going to be eventually a product for you -- it's called Switch 2 Lite ... just like Switch Lite exists for that market right now. You'll be waiting a few years for that. 

Gotta say Nintendo isn't just gonna completely change their strategy. They're not gonna go from a $300 system to a $500 system. They are known as the affordable video game system. They aren't going to throw that brand in the trash.

Also the fact that it is a portable kind of demands it to not be something absurd like $450 or $500. You make a system that expensive it is expensive for a reason, that reason being trying to cram to much tech into what is supposed to be a portable. Think Steam Deck here, a "portable" that isn't really portable because its massive and has horrendous battery life. Nintendo is not going to turn the successor to the Switch into a much more niche product by chasing the Steam Deck philosophy.

I think people are just getting thrown off here because Nintendo hasn't needed to drop the price of the Switch. They can absolutely release a generational upgrade for the same price as the OLED sells for if its more of a base model like the original Switch. If they do a more premium model like the OLED but with a generational upgrade maybe that goes as high as $399. They aren't gonna be putting out anything at launch with a 4 at the start of the price. They don't want a PS3 or 3DS moment. We've heard that Nintendo is worried about following the Switch, and well releasing a >$400 system would be a sure fire way to screw up following the Switch.

Whatever chip and other spec decisions Nintendo is making, you can be sure they aren't thinking along the lines of "hey let's release a $400-$500 system!" Nintendo is not gonna be like hey a $300 system sold great so next let's try a $500 system lol. I would guess on launch day there is some version of Switch 2 that costs $349.99 or less and nothing on launch day costs more than $399.99. At this point in time $350 is probably the sweet spot. If they have to skimp on the screen (just do another 720 LCD) and disk space (maybe just do 64gb) in order to get the generational leap chipset in the Switch 2 and keep it at $350 or less (either for the launch model or for a cheaper option SKU at launch), they're gonna do it. They aren't gonna throw in every tech they can think of and launch a $450 or $500 system just to watch it bomb and then have to cut the price drastically like with the 3DS. They've been there, done that before, it didn't work out well.

After the success of the Switch, I don't see why some people think they should drastically change up the business strategy and suddenly release a really expensive system. That just would make no sense whatsoever. They aren't going to change up what they know works. Their goal is going to be to move people from the Switch to the Switch 2 while picking up the next half-generation of kids, not alienate the Switch audience by telling them "well in a few years you might be able to buy the cheap version of the system but even that is going to be expensive". Just, in no world is that happening.

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:
Soundwave said:

You're not getting something that is going to be like 7-8x more powerful than a Switch OLED for the same $350 in one year. 

I don't see it.

It's going to be $399.99 minimum, I would not be surprised if a $449.99 SKU with higher storage (256GB?) might be in the cards also. Digital purchases are a big deal now, whereas for like the Wii U it was sort of a "so what?" ... most people still bought physical back then and because the Wii U wasn't portable you could just plug in a flash drive or HDD and leave it there with no fuss.

For Switch 2, having more storage is kind of a big deal as many people are digital only and the game sizes are likely to increase next gen given the Switch 2 is going to be somewhere between a PS4++ in power with a feature set that is more like a PS5 (Ampere based Nvidia chips are a better architecture than the AMD crap the PS5/XBS use). 

$399-$450 is perfectly acceptable. The Super NES today would be over $400, the N64 right around $400 with inflation. You can't just compare to the freaking Game Boy and GBA forever. The Switch 2 is a *console* too, unless you are just revising history and making it so the Game Boy Advance was a home console that would hook up to the TV and was capable of running Nintendo's console games (funny I don't remember ever playing Metroid Prime or Super Mario Sunshine or Resident Evil 4 on the GBA, do you?). You have to compare to the home consoles in terms of pricing. 

The Switch 2 will be able to play the newest mainline 3D Mario, Mario Kart, next-gen Zelda, Smash, etc. on top of some modern 3rd party games like probably Street Fighter VI, Call of Duty, EA FIFA/FC, Witcher 4 (?), and Dragon Quest XII among others (I wouldn't be surprised at all with a Final Fantasy XVI port, Square-Enix needs the $$$). You can't just sit there and say "price it like a Game Boy or DS please", like that's fucking bonkers. 

For people who can't afford $350+ or are young children and the parents don't want to spend big on their gaming consumption, there's going to be eventually a product for you -- it's called Switch 2 Lite ... just like Switch Lite exists for that market right now. You'll be waiting a few years for that. 

Gotta say Nintendo isn't just gonna completely change their strategy. They're not gonna go from a $300 system to a $500 system. They are known as the affordable video game system. They aren't going to throw that brand in the trash.

Also the fact that it is a portable kind of demands it to not be something absurd like $450 or $500. You make a system that expensive it is expensive for a reason, that reason being trying to cram to much tech into what is supposed to be a portable. Think Steam Deck here, a "portable" that isn't really portable because its massive and has horrendous battery life. Nintendo is not going to turn the successor to the Switch into a much more niche product by chasing the Steam Deck philosophy.

I think people are just getting thrown off here because Nintendo hasn't needed to drop the price of the Switch. They can absolutely release a generational upgrade for the same price as the OLED sells for if its more of a base model like the original Switch. If they do a more premium model like the OLED but with a generational upgrade maybe that goes as high as $399. They aren't gonna be putting out anything at launch with a 4 at the start of the price. They don't want a PS3 or 3DS moment. We've heard that Nintendo is worried about following the Switch, and well releasing a >$400 system would be a sure fire way to screw up following the Switch.

Whatever chip and other spec decisions Nintendo is making, you can be sure they aren't thinking along the lines of "hey let's release a $400-$500 system!" Nintendo is not gonna be like hey a $300 system sold great so next let's try a $500 system lol. I would guess on launch day there is some version of Switch 2 that costs $349.99 or less and nothing on launch day costs more than $399.99. At this point in time $350 is probably the sweet spot. If they have to skimp on the screen (just do another 720 LCD) and disk space (maybe just do 64gb) in order to get the generational leap chipset in the Switch 2 and keep it at $350 or less (either for the launch model or for a cheaper option SKU at launch), they're gonna do it. They aren't gonna throw in every tech they can think of and launch a $450 or $500 system just to watch it bomb and then have to cut the price drastically like with the 3DS. They've been there, done that before, it didn't work out well.

After the success of the Switch, I don't see why some people think they should drastically change up the business strategy and suddenly release a really expensive system. That just would make no sense whatsoever. They aren't going to change up what they know works. Their goal is going to be to move people from the Switch to the Switch 2 while picking up the next half-generation of kids, not alienate the Switch audience by telling them "well in a few years you might be able to buy the cheap version of the system but even that is going to be expensive". Just, in no world is that happening.

Well said.  Business strategy is a major factor that tech people want to ignore because of their personal wishlist of features.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

PAOerfulone said:

I think I said as far back as 2018, in the Switch, Nintendo has finally found their "PlayStation."

And it was thanks in large part to the Switch itself and the concept behind that convinced those people to give Nintendo another chance and their investment has been rewarded in spades.

I've said the same words, last year. Switch is Nintendo's Playstation. As long they keep the same medium and do regular upgrades I'm feeling inclined to always buy their systems, just like with Playstation. 

I also agree gamers now trust in Nintendo. now they feel Nintendo is able to deliver great games that don't fit only casual market and are able to get a very decent 3rd party support. They certainly recovered my trust for example. 

People will upgrade from base Switch to Switch 2 without any major issues. It might not sell as much as Switch 1 because we won't have a new pandemic to boost sales but 100 million plus is in the bag

Slownenberg said:

not alienate the Switch audience by telling them "well in a few years you might be able to buy the cheap version of the system but even that is going to be expensive". Just, in no world is that happening.

This is exactly what they want though 

No console system has ever shipped more than 20 million copies on its first year. They won't even have ways to manufacture that much consoles anyway

They need people to go to Switch 2 slowly, at simular pace as original Switch because the idea is early Switch (read: hardcore gaming enthusiasts and hardcore Nintendo fans)  users will migrate to Switch 2 and the mid to late Switch owners will only migrate when their favorite games get released 

If the points was to make people buy consoles asap to profit with software then they should have released Lite along with base Switch

Of course they didn't. 3DS was their budgeted console and they waited until the 3DS sales became as low as possible to replace them with the Lite. 

Base Switch will be the budgted option while Switch 2 will be the expensive option. Once base Switch completely dies they will come with a less expensive Switch 2 portable only

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/167952y/clarifying_recent_leaks_and_adding_new_info/

Just came across this
Though it is from reddit so take with a grain of salt

The cliff notes are

Backwards compatible, runs ff7 remake like a ps5 can, has a camera, square enix and sega already have dev kits

Last edited by Kneetos - on 02 September 2023

If the leaks are correct and that it runs ff7r with ps5 level quality then its minimum 399usd