By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 59.3M by 31.03.2024. LT sales expectations?

Lifetime sales expectations

Under 100M 3 15.79%

100-110M 9 47.37%

110-130M 7 36.84%

130-150M 0 0%

150M+ 0 0%

Total:19

I'm going with 100-110 range. Think it will just miss the ps4 by a small margin.

Around the Network

This gen will be similar to last so ~120 million vs ~55 million for Xbox.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

It's impossible to forecast this stuff at this point. Data from the first 3 years is worthless, because supply was constrained. And since we have no idea how long the generation will be, we're basically just pulling numbers out of the air with little or nothing to base them on.

Doctor_MG said:
Megiddo said:

There haven't been any aggressive sales tactics thus far. In fact, the PS5 actually had a price-increase in a lot of the world, and that's something that's practically never heard of for consoles.

They have a temporary price cut going on in several countries right now. It's $450 in the US. I'd say that's aggressive in the middle of August.

Nah, that's not aggressive at all. Aggressive would be like the PS4, when Sony permanently cut the base PS4 price by 5000 yen in Japan and permanently cut by $50 in USA less than two years into the life of the console. It then had a slim model in its 3rd year for $100 off the original PS4 price. Sony was really aggressive for PS4 but for the PS5, they've been the opposite since they actually raised the base MSRP in many regions around the world. 

Last edited by Megiddo - on 11 August 2023

PS4 deals weren't all that aggressive either. People kept waiting for a 3rd official pricedrop and factored it into their lifetime sales predictions. Sony's pricecuts got less and less aggressive over the generations, PS5 is a continuation to that.

Around the Network

I don't recollect my exact guess from a few years ago, but I'm expecting just a small decrease. Around 105 million.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Megiddo said:
Doctor_MG said:

They have a temporary price cut going on in several countries right now. It's $450 in the US. I'd say that's aggressive in the middle of August.

Nah, that's not aggressive at all. Aggressive would be like the PS4, when Sony permanently cut the base PS4 price by 5000 yen in Japan and permanently cut by $50 in USA less than two years into the life of the console. It then had a slim model in its 3rd year for $100 off the original PS4 price. Sony was really aggressive for PS4 but for the PS5, they've been the opposite since they actually raised the base MSRP in many regions around the world. 

Those circumstances are entirely different.  PS4 didn't face a global inflation and cost product increase. PS5 did. Yet Sony is now decreasing the cost of their PS5 despite it selling more YoY worldwide and almost catching up to the PS4 at a higher price. Why? Because they want to hit their FY goal. They even suggested as so. Here is a statement from Sony themselves:

"We have positioned the accelerated penetration of PS5 hardware as one of the highest priorities in this fiscal year, and we will try to work steadily to implement necessary measures to achieve hardware sales target. Towards the end of the calendar year, the first party title, Marvel Spider-Man 2, and major third-party titles are scheduled to be released as well. And we expect that the entire gaming industry and the PS platform will be greatly energized."

Just because they haven't decreased the price as fast as another console doesn't mean they aren't being aggressive.

Over 150 million. Why not.

Went with 110 - 120 too early to really say more than that.

Megiddo said:
Doctor_MG said:

Sony SIE made around $350m profits in Q1 while Nintendo made around $1.35b in the same timeframe, and yet Sony still cut the price of PS5 for the sake of moving PS5 units. That sounds too aggressive in my opinions.