By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anti-Wii week continues: "Wii Is Nearing The End Of The Road"

wow. as much as i love hearing bad things about the wii, this article is dumb!

SSBB is still selling amazing. So are other wii games.

Around the Network
Desroko said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
Desroko said:
The system is 18 months old, bleu-ocelot. The novelty argument died a long time ago.

The Wii didn't get popular and start selling like crazy till like the middle of last year if i recall.

You recall poorly.

Thats fine if im wrong but how about something to back up your statement and I still think that the novelty will not last forever.

*bleu-ocelot* said:
Viper1 said:
Blue Ocelot doesn't understand that all major 3rd party titles out right now were planned and in development before Wii even launched and fails to consider the recent rash of studios announcing new support for Wii...some even opening a whole new studio just for Wii support.

Big budget game development is a 2-3 year investment. Developers wrote off Wii prior to launch so of course we aren't going to have many big budget 3rd party titles yet.

Those developers who are quick to jump on the Wii ''because''of its sucess are the ones cranking out shovelware and the few good games that do come out dont even sell that well(No More Hero's).

Yes, the "shovelware" was to quickly make their stock holders/investors happy for making such a huge financial mistake.

And to use their financial gains to fund bigger projects.   You also realize that NMH sold better than any other Suda 51 title ever?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Desroko said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
Desroko said:
The system is 18 months old, bleu-ocelot. The novelty argument died a long time ago.

The Wii didn't get popular and start selling like crazy till like the middle of last year if i recall.

You recall poorly.

Bleu-ocelot is semi-correct, according to this graph. If you notice carefully, last year at this time is was selling a measly 200k average or so, with lows of 150k and highs of nearly 300k. Later in the year it was averaging close to 250k, with lows of 200k and highs of 300k. But this year, it's averaging 300k, with highs of 400k and lows of 219k. So in reality it has got a lot better.

Course, there are two problems with this. The first being that supply was so limited early last year, until they were able to up production. The second problem is that the Wii still outsold the other consoles (though maybe not combined), so unless they are fads too (or something?), then the arguement hardly works. Also, fads usually start off strong then die. Not start off good then get stronger... and stronger. Unless we want to consider the PS2 a fad... and then we might as well consider everything ever made a fad, except for sliced bread of course.

But yeah, the novelty thing, the "no games sell on Wii" thing, the "it's only selling because of price" thing, etc etc, have all been debunked. Now if only some people could realize this. 

@Viper1-How do you know that?do you work for Nintendo? and NMH selling more than other games Suda 51 develops is totally irelevant to my argument.

Around the Network
*bleu-ocelot* said:
Viper1 said:
Blue Ocelot doesn't understand that all major 3rd party titles out right now were planned and in development before Wii even launched and fails to consider the recent rash of studios announcing new support for Wii...some even opening a whole new studio just for Wii support.

Big budget game development is a 2-3 year investment. Developers wrote off Wii prior to launch so of course we aren't going to have many big budget 3rd party titles yet.

Those developers who are quick to jump on the Wii ''because''of its sucess are the ones cranking out shovelware and the few good games that do come out dont even sell that well(No More Hero's).

I can't agree. Have you browsed the sales for Wii section recently? There's quite a few third party platinum games, and countless more that have done quite well for themselves. I would also point out that you chose a very bad example in No More Heroes: while its sales may not be spectacular by the standards of a large studio, its done spectacularly for Grasshopper. They even threw a party to celebrate before it launched in Europe. And while I concede that there's quite a bit of shovelware on the Wii, there was a similar proportion of it on both Playstations. That was a deliberate tactic by Sony, one which is being mimicked by Nintendo now: let developers release whatever trash they want, since the law of averages dictates that some of those have to become gems.

*bleu-ocelot* said:
@Viper1-How do you know that?do you work for Nintendo? and NMH selling more than other games Suda 51 develops is a sign that I was wrong about that game, since his Wii game is doing far better than any of his previous works ever did, despite having a smaller install base than the PS2.

There, all better now. No need to thank me, citizen, spreading common sense around is its own reward...

*bleu-ocelot* said:
Desroko said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
Desroko said:

You recall poorly.

Thats fine if im wrong but how about something to back up your statement and I still think that the novelty will not last forever.

Gotta love trolls who come swaggering in here without having done even basic research on the topic they're expounding so confidently upon.

http://www.vgchartz.com/news/news.php?id=508

"(The Wii sold) at an even faster rate than the most successful console ever created, Sony's Playstation 2, despite still being sold out in most major markets." August 2007

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=16860

"Nintendo Wii: 7 Million Units Sold Worldwide - Fastest Seller Ever" May 2007

Yeah, but it wasn't popular until the middle of 2007, remember. Also, fad! Bubble burst! Shovelware! WAGGGGLLEEEEE!

*bleu-ocelot* said:
@Viper1-How do you know that?do you work for Nintendo? and NMH selling more than other games Suda 51 develops is totally irelevant to my argument.

I know this because I've been working in the gaming media for the past 5 years.   Also, it has been openly stated by publishers already.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

*bleu-ocelot* said:

It's not irrelevant when it's his best selling game and sold so much the publishers threw a party.

When the freaking people that amde that game are celebrating it's success, you have to wonder when the angry nerds on forums are going to stop pretending like it didn't sell.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"