1980s 2 2.41%

1990s 47 56.63%

2000s 18 21.69%

2010s 14 16.87%

2020s 2 2.41%

Total:83
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

90s, the best decade of everything :P

90S was the best in terms of nostalgia, and being blown away as a kid. in terms of gaming though it's much better now. Nintendo was really the only one that had games that can take 25-40 hours to complete, everything else of quality was short unless you like JRPG which i don't. something like elden ring or botw would give you more playtime then 80% of 16 bit games lol.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

The industry had a certain magic in the 90s that just has never repeated itself. It's also crazy to go from this:

Early 1990:

To this (Fall 1999):

Within the span of a decade. 

I was there, so I definitely know what you're saying. But I still think we're seeing the same sort of leaps happening, just not graphically. I mean, if you took a PS5 back to 2012 and plugged it up next to a PS3 in someone's house, and gave that person or people a duel sense and let them play a game... minds would literally be blown. The hardware, the UI, the lighting-fast loading times, the getting back into a game in a matter of seconds no matter where they stopped playing... it's truly a massive leap forward. At least in my opinion. 

zeldaring said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

90S was the best in terms of nostalgia, and being blown away as a kid. in terms of gaming though it's much better now. Nintendo was really the only one that had games that can take 25-40 hours to complete, everything else of quality was short unless you like JRPG which i don't. something like elden ring or botw would give you more playtime then 80% of 16 bit games lol.

Oh they were shorter, 80% of 90s games. That is, if you were good enough to finish them quickly. =P

CaptainExplosion said:
zeldaring said:

Oh they were shorter, 80% of 90s games. That is, if you were good enough to finish them quickly. =P

And if you are not you would have to start from the beginning  which why as a kid you would just usually give up on harder games in a week. it was tedious. aside from games with save states. I only owned a sega genesis so 16 bit era wasn't that great for me. N64 was mind blowing though but it only had a few games i liked and same for playstation 1.    

JackHandy said:
Soundwave said:

The industry had a certain magic in the 90s that just has never repeated itself. It's also crazy to go from this:

Early 1990:

To this (Fall 1999):

Within the span of a decade. 

I was there, so I definitely know what you're saying. But I still think we're seeing the same sort of leaps happening, just not graphically. I mean, if you took a PS5 back to 2012 and plugged it up next to a PS3 in someone's house, and gave that person or people a duel sense and let them play a game... minds would literally be blown. The hardware, the UI, the lighting-fast loading times, the getting back into a game in a matter of seconds no matter where they stopped playing... it's truly a massive leap forward. At least in my opinion. 

Fast loading we had in the 90s. It was called cartridge games. I wasn't blown away by Dual Sense. Just ah another gimmick to drain battery life so I turned it off. Like I have with All Rumble last 20 years. Not to mention there was a PC device that was doing the same thing in 2006 as the triggers I knew about. Stuff def looks a lot nicer than PS3 but it's not the same as going from 2D to 3D to better than a console game not only 3D but better looking than arcade games. Soul Calibur ran on PS1 hardware in arcades. So not only the leap from 2D to 3D. The introduction of Rumble itself but then Soul Cal remade for Dreamcast to look leaps and bounds better than Arcade. Not to mention when DC launched its games looked better than PC games. PS5 didn't look better than anything PC on launch. Crysis 3 on PC in 2012 doesn't look that out of place now. Half-Life looked worse than Shenmue by a lot within a year of one another.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:
JackHandy said:

Fast loading we had in the 90s. It was called cartridge games. I wasn't blown away by Dual Sense. Just ah another gimmick to drain battery life so I turned it off. Like I have with All Rumble last 20 years. Not to mention there was a PC device that was doing the same thing in 2006 as the triggers I knew about. Stuff def looks a lot nicer than PS3 but it's not the same as going from 2D to 3D to better than a console game not only 3D but better looking than arcade games. Soul Calibur ran on PS1 hardware in arcades. So not only the leap from 2D to 3D. The introduction of Rumble itself but then Soul Cal remade for Dreamcast to look leaps and bounds better than Arcade. Not to mention when DC launched its games looked better than PC games. PS5 didn't look better than anything PC on launch. Crysis 3 on PC in 2012 doesn't look that out of place now. Half-Life looked worse than Shenmue by a lot within a year of one another.

It's kinda impossible to compare how your young self would react now to the 20s. I had a dreamcast and i was blown the frick away by  MGS2 E3 trailer and Gran turismo 3. I could not believe my eyes lol and the jump in hardware wasn't that Big but it was the lighting, my jaw hit the floor.

MGS2 looked like shit to me back then,blurry washed out hazy PS2 look was born and I never like it. I just have not been very impressed in general with graphics the last 15 years tbh.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

MGS2 looked like shit to me back then,blurry washed out hazy PS2 look was born and I never like it. I just have not been very impressed in general with graphics the last 15 years tbh.

lol if the MGS2 trailer didn't impress back then nothing ever will. its basically still called the best trailer of all time lol.

For me it was the 2000s.

PS2/PS3/PSP/N64/GCN/Wii/GBA/DS/Xbox/Xbox360

Grew up with a lot of games.

zeldaring said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

You had Frontier Elite 2, explore the entire galaxy, seamless landing onto any planet, in 1993. Civilization, Dune 2, Sim City, Baldur's gate, Might and Magic, Flight Simulator, Ultima Online, Everquest, Populous, Master of Orion, Transport Tycoon, tons of games you can play for longer than BotW.

BotW still gives you more play time than 90% of other games!