By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PC Brethren, Show Me The POWAH (Summer 2023 Edition)

Chazore said:
Norion said:

Mine is close to 6 years old but it was high end when I got it so performance is still ok. The 1080 Ti and 7700K are starting to show their age though so the urge to upgrade has been growing lately. I wish the GPU market wasn't so bad right now since that is causing some reluctance.

Same with my build. Still rocking my 1080ti (with one less fan atm) and my OC'd i7-6700k, though I do wanna upgrade my ram this year, as well as adding some new fans.

If the GPU market wasn't so bad right now, I would have grabbed a 4080.

Same on the 4080. It costs so much I may as well get the 4090 but that's so expensive that buying it would feel bad. Maybe I'll still get the 4080 when it gets cheap enough. I'm considering waiting till the 5000 series but reading that it might not come out till early 2025 gives me reluctance there too.

Around the Network

My gaming setup 2023:

• PC case: Fractal Meshify S2 with Noctua fans
  • PSU: Enermaxx MaxTytan 800W
  • Mainboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
  • GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce 4090
  • RAM: 2x Corsair DDR4-3600 16GB
  • System SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (PCI-E 4.0)
  • 2nd SSD: Corsair Force MP510 SSD2 TB (PCI-E 3.0)
  • 3rd SSD: Samsung SSD PM983 7.68 TB (PCI-E 3.0), mainly for Steam games
  • 1st HDD: Western Digital WD140EDFZ 14TB
  • 2nd HDD: Western Digital WD140EDFZ 14TB
  • 1st external HDD: MyBook Duo 28TB, mainly for Steam games
  • 2nd external HDD: MyBook Duo 16TB
  • Main display: LG OLED42C27, 4K@120 HDR, OLED, G-Sync-Comp.
  • 2nd display: LG OLED55C9PLV, 4K@120 HDR, OLED, G-Sync-Comp.
  • 3rd display: HP Omen 27, WQHD@165 Hz, G-Sync
  • Audio: A/V receiver Yamaha RX-V685 with auna Linie-300-BK5.1 speaker set
  • VR-headset: HP Reverb G2 with VR Optician glasses
  • Gamepads: Xbox Series controller + DualSense controller + VR motion controllers
  • Mouse: Steel Series World of Warcraft Gold Edition
  • Mechanical keyboard: HyperX Alloy FPS RGB
  • desktop chair: Umi Gaming Chair
  • Home consoles: Xbox Series X, PlayStation 5, PSVR2 with VR Optician glasses
  • Handhelds: Switch OLED & 2 Steam Decks
  • Mobile gaming: iPad Pro 10.5 + Kindle Fire Max 11

Last edited by Conina - on 16 July 2023

Anyone here know anything about mics? My PC has stopped recognizing my Audio Technica AT2020USB+ and just lists it as USB PnP Sound Device now. Sound quality at times seems to be in and out between good and bad according to people. I've tried different USB ports on my PC, but same issue. I am wondering if I should buy a new cable for it and see if that fixes the issue or if I should just go and buy a new mic at this point. I've had this one for like 6 or 7 years at this point. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:

Anyone here know anything about mics? My PC has stopped recognizing my Audio Technica AT2020USB+ and just lists it as USB PnP Sound Device now. Sound quality at times seems to be in and out between good and bad according to people. I've tried different USB ports on my PC, but same issue. I am wondering if I should buy a new cable for it and see if that fixes the issue or if I should just go and buy a new mic at this point. I've had this one for like 6 or 7 years at this point. 

Did you try re-installing the software/driver for it?

BasilZero said:
trunkswd said:

Did you try re-installing the software/driver for it?

There are just generic drivers for the mic, but yeah I did that and didn't fix it. I just tried it on my laptop and the same issue. I am guessing the issue is either with the cable or the mic itself. The sound quality issues that come and go makes me think it might be the cable, especially since it is very loose in a USB port. Like I can move it from side to side. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
Serious_frusting said:

Stopped upgrading my PC not long after the PS4 come out.
Was gonna build a new one last year but decided against it. Apart from the nerd in me tingling when I get new PC stuff I don't see the point. No game in my opinion takes advantage of the hardware enough for me to even bother.

Not the thread for console chest-beating mate.

shikamaru317 said:

It was a budget build I did in 2015, that is well below the minimum requirements for games now, and is becoming too slow even for general use like web browsing. It has:

• Gen 4 i3 CPU
  • GTX 950 GPU
  • 8 GB of DDR3
  • 1 TB 7200 RPM hard drive 

Flick that 1TB spinning rust drive out and drop a cheap SSD into it, it would be a brilliant web browsing machine.

I still have a Core 2 Quad PC sitting around from 2007 and it handles the web brilliantly with it's tiny 16GB Ram and Geforce 1030. - Definitely struggles on new AAA games, but it can still hold it's own.

I also have an Athlon 2000+, 512MB SD RAM (Precursor to DDR 1 Ram), Radeon 9550+3DFX Voodoo 2 running Windows 98 as well... Like to have a machine for every "era".

Doesn't matter if you don't have the latest and greatest or the high-end, majority of us don't, just a pic, some specs and having some fun gaming is all that matters.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

BasilZero said:

I have all platforms but my current gaming PC is from 2019 so its outdated.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: RX 580 8 GB
RAM: 16 GB
Primary Storage: 256 GB SSD
Secondary Storage: 1 TB HDD

Edit: My next build I am planning to get will be likely next year.

Going for RAM wise 32 GB, 1 TB SSD with a 1 or 2 TB HDD

The GPU and CPU, whatever is a good equivalent at the time.

I typically upgrade my PCs every 8-10 years but nowadays gonna make it 5-6 years.

---

Below: This is what I posted on ResetERA in regards to my entire set up

My set up didnt change much except for the fact that now i have a Xbox Series S and a PS5 (and controller stands with more controllers.)

Edit: Oh right, I have smart lighting now as well lol

My set up includes

-75'' Sony x900f
-Gaming Desktop PC
-Xbox Series S
-Playstation 5
-Nintendo Switch
-Playstation 4 (below the PS5 hidden)
-Playstation 3 (below the Switch hidden)
-My WiiU that died few months ago (lol) is in one of the bins on the right next to the attic door)
-My PSP, 3DS and Nintendo DS are below the Switch and PS3

Mouse and Keyboard I use for gaming on PC

My Theater Sofa Set (Dont mind the futon on the floor - my wife loves using it when watching movies)

My side monitor I use (with amiibos and toys)

From behind Sofa view

Wide-screen view of my entertainment room

Am i tripping? These are either comically small doors, or comically large tv and chairs.

BasilZero said:

My Theater Sofa Set (Dont mind the futon on the floor - my wife loves using it when watching movies)

Wide-screen view of my entertainment room

Are you happy with your Theater Sofa set?

Another two rooms in our house get available soon and I'm thinking about using one of them as a home cinema with 4K projector or huge TV.

Pemalite said:

My next upgrades will be a Ryzen 9 7950X and 192GB DDR5 Ram. - Plus a new cooler, case and PSU, dragging the 6600XT forwards kicking and screaming.

Careful with that DDR5 192GB. Four sticks are iffy on the current controller, which is why I opted for a 2x48GB config (a step down from my DDR4 128GB, quad-channel past ). I'm sure as things mature, this will too, and at that point, I'll be adding 96GB more myself.

Unfortunately I don't have enough RAM to upload my consciousness into, but it can play all the newest games so that's pretty cool:

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A 27" (1440p @ 170Hz)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
RAM: 32GB DDR5
Mobo: ASUS PRIME B650M-A AX
SSD1: WD_Black SN750 1TB
SSD2: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

Honestly I'm a bit disappointed in this combo so far though, since I experienced the issue with ASUS motherboards and this gen of Ryzen CPUs where it would get extremely hot because of an issue with the motherboard firmware. I upgraded the firmware which supposedly fixes the issue, but I can't say I'm not a little bit paranoid going forward. Otherwise no complaints about the actual performance though, it plays games pretty well.