By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 28, 2023 (Jul 03 - Jul 09)

Now with the top 30 out, E12S is at 20-40% sellthrough, which means it will definitely sell through it's shipment and most likely need a second one at the very latest for the holidays.

Around the Network
Otter said:
Soundwave said:

The question is going to be how many of these PS5s are actually in Japan? Because I think it's not as much of a reach any longer to think a fairly sizable chunk of the PS5s sold this year have gone to China.

There's no reason for a Chinese buyer to buy a Chinese PS5 (or Switch or PS4 frankly, I guess XBox is just dead in Asia too but if Chinese game censorship was a concern for you, then the last console you'd want is the American one anyway, lol) if they can get a Japanese PS5 instead. 

Honestly I'm surprised people keep ignoring this dynamic, which was well established & reported way back in 2021, partially explains the PS5 software situation which has been very consistent across every piece of software, there is not a single outlier. The actual number of PS5's sitting in Japan is way less than raw numbers suggest. Honestly I think you can go as far as chopping the PS5's userbase in half... So people don't need to keep acting shocked & confused when the software mismatches the hardware.

Digital has a smaller but notable role to play

In half? PS5 is at around 4m sold in Japan as of now. FF16 is at around 400k physical and if we include digital it's around 700-800k (Square did announce over 50% of FF16 sold were digital). So if there are only 2m PS5 in Japan then isn't the attach rate for FF16 seems ridiculous? That's around 40%. I saw a post here not long ago saying 30% of playstation users are subscribed to PS plus extra or premium and that's even higher in Japan.  Also higher digital rate and replaying free upgraded PS4 games on PS5

So basically what is being said here is that a good chunck of FFXVI sales went to china? So XVI really bombed in Japan

我是广州人

Pinkie_pie said:
Otter said:

Honestly I'm surprised people keep ignoring this dynamic, which was well established & reported way back in 2021, partially explains the PS5 software situation which has been very consistent across every piece of software, there is not a single outlier. The actual number of PS5's sitting in Japan is way less than raw numbers suggest. Honestly I think you can go as far as chopping the PS5's userbase in half... So people don't need to keep acting shocked & confused when the software mismatches the hardware.

In half? PS5 is at around 4m sold in Japan as of now. FF16 is at around 400k physical and if we include digital it's around 700-800k (Square did announce over 50% of FF16 sold were digital). So if there are only 2m PS5 in Japan then isn't the attach rate for FF16 seems ridiculous? That's around 40%. I saw a post here not long ago saying 30% of playstation users are subscribed to PS plus extra or premium and that's even higher in Japan.  Also higher digital rate and replaying free upgraded PS4 games on PS5

Yep, but that doesn't mean the ratio in Japan is 50%. UK for example was 57%, US I imagine would be even higher. Japan I suspect would be lower based off trend. 

Beyond that I don't think a 35% attach rate is ridiculous. The Final Fantasy XV sold around 800k on a userbase of around 3.2m. FF selling 600k on a userbase of 2m is not unrealistic imo. No shade but what else are Japanese playstation owners going to buy this summer? 

Top 20 best selling platforms in Japan. Nintendo platforms are shipped numbers (except Switch) and Sony Platforms are the last reported numbers by Famitsu. The PS5 will be passing the Gamecube very soon.

Around the Network

Soon PS4 will be less than a million behind the PS3. It's not going to catch up but I wonder how close it will get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Pinkie_pie said:
    Otter said:

I dunno about half but it could be in the range of 20%, that wouldn't surprise me at all. 

If you're a Chinese gamer or were part of the console userbase there that's been growing, there simply is no reason to buy the Chinese console models unless you like having no new releases from outside China for 18 months. 

Otter said:
    Pinkie_pie said:

Yep, but that doesn't mean the ratio in Japan is 50%. UK for example was 57%, US I imagine would be even higher. Japan I suspect would be lower based off trend. 

Beyond that I don't think a 35% attach rate is ridiculous. The Final Fantasy XV sold around 800k on a userbase of around 3.2m. FF selling 600k on a userbase of 2m is not unrealistic imo. No shade but what else are Japanese playstation owners going to buy this summer? 

What trend are we talking about? Didn't totw have a 50% digital rate in Japan? A few here posted it sold over 2m first week in Japan but only 1m physical.  You would think digital is much higher on PS5 . Why would digital be lower in Japan? Their internet is fast and their homes are small just makes more sense they buying digital than owning physical boxes in their homes. Anyways 35-40% attach rate for a final fantasy game just seems too high. The best selling game animal crossing has a 35-40% attach rate

Pinkie_pie said:

Didn't totw have a 50% digital rate in Japan? A few here posted it sold over 2m first week in Japan but only 1m physical.  You would think digital is much higher on PS5 . Why would digital be lower in Japan? 

Sony isn't selling two new releases for 10000 yen when it comes to digital like Nintendo. 

Megiddo said:
    Pinkie_pie said:

Didn't totw have a 50% digital rate in Japan? A few here posted it sold over 2m first week in Japan but only 1m physical.  You would think digital is much higher on PS5 . Why would digital be lower in Japan? 

Sony isn't selling two new releases for 10000 yen when it comes to digital like Nintendo. 

What? You are saying digital is much cheaper than physical on switch? Still why would digital be lower in Japan compare to the rest of the world? They have the fastest internet and their homes are small so it makes more sense they rather not collecting physical games especially PS5 since their game cases are larger than switch. Also around 10% of PS5 are digital version and both versions come with a 1tb of storage compare to switch 32-64gb so of course digital is higher on PS5