By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which Generation of Final Fantasy Was Your Favorite?

Which Generation of Final Fantasy Was Your Favorite?

1st Generation - I-III 29 4.43%

2nd Generation - IV-VI 158 24.16%

3rd Generation - VII - IX 337 51.53%

4th Generation - X-XII 85 13.00%

5th Generation - XIII - X... 9 1.38%

6th Generation - XIV (Hea... 12 1.83%

7th Generation - XIV (Endwalker), XVI 24 3.67%

Total:654

This is kind of tough.

1st generation is just OK to me. never been able to get into the first three games as they don't have as strong focus on their characters and stories.

2nd gen is great but VI is significantly better than the other two games from that gen.

3rd gen is Fantastic with VII and IX I consider excellent games. However... there is VIII which I did not enjoy.

4th Is the gen that introduced me to Final Fantasy with X and XII being the ones I played first. I enjoyed both greatly. I never played XI though so I can't really give my opinion on it. X-2 I've just avoided because I don't like the idea of sequels for Final Fantasy.

I don't even consider the other gens worth mentioning. But if I really had to choose I'd go with 4th gen just because I think the overall gameplay is better than the others. 3rd gen is a close second.

Last edited by Eric2048 - on 13 July 2023

Around the Network

3rd gen is gonna run away with this, but I vote 2nd gen on the strength of FF6 alone. Game is magnificent.

Its hard to say for me between 2nd gen and 3rd gen.

2nd gen had Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy VI which were both of my first FF games I played (and finished) - both were on the SNES, my 2nd most favorite Nintendo platform and both games are in my top 5. Though V is a good game , it is far less good compared to the other two.

2nd gen also had weird spinoff FF games such as FF Legends (SaGa), Final Fantasy Adventure (Mana 1) and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest though they had FF in the name, they were less Final Fantasy than even FFXVI which people are debating over right now.

--

3rd gen had Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy IX which were two of my most favorite FF games - they are both on top 5 list and I played both so many times. This is soured by Final Fantasy VIII which I consider to be one of the worst Final Fantasy experiences I had (alongside 2 and X-2).

However this gen also had Final Fantasy Tactics which on its own is an amazing game.

So I decided to vote on 3rd gen mainly because of VII, IX and Tactics over 2nd gen which has IV and VI for me.

In order: PS1 -> PS2 -> SNES -> the rest. IX is the best in the series, followed by X, VI, VII, VIII, XII in that order. The others (that I've played) are varying degrees of average to good. Can't judge the later generations in particular fairly since I've never played XIV.

Tough one.

SNES has my favorite Final Fantasy game, FF4. But the PS1 has my second and third favorites (FF7 and FF9).

I think I'm going with 3rd gen.

Around the Network

The PS1 games were all solid, all well received, were all fun and engaging with no real duds.

So gen3 gets my vote.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

SNES and ps1 era was more certainly squares peak, same with Rare via N64.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

FFIX and FFVII is in my top 3, so 3rd gen!

Final Fantasy iii on the Snes. Yes I know it's number 6 but my cartridge still says iii so sue me.
Ff7 on the PS1.

Those are my favourite two. I voted Snes because I remember how gassed I was to show off FF3 with my converter (wild Card).

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st