By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I Just finished Zelda TotK and I see A LOT of room to improve (SOME MINOR SPOILERS)

NintendoPie said:

if you like using the things you build but get tired of building them, make sure to go to the great abandoned central mine and follow that side-quest.

BotW's abilities feel lame in comparison to what TotK brought, to me. the only drawback is not having revali's gale.

What side quest is that? I've discovered all the mines, forge constructs and schema stones in the Depths but haven't found any side quests for the central mine? I know they keep talking about following the statues but a mine is kinda hard to miss, why bother.

The freeze ability and time stop increase momentum was fun in BotW. Recall is too OP imo, way to easy to get around all kinds of puzzles with recall, also makes a lot of combat trivial. (But good to get rid of those annoying octoroks) Ascend is lame, just an excuse for disabling climbing in certain places. Ultra-hand needs a UI overhaul, often I can't even see what I'm trying to place where or accidentally walk off a ledge or cliff trying to fit something. Same for Fuse.

NintendoPie said:

there's the forgotten temple that shows you the order of how all the memories are supposed to go and where they all are on the map, you should head there and take a pic of it for reference. the memory story telling mechanic coming back is lame but, the memories themselves are actually way better than the BotW ones i think.

something that i think is a minus on the game is indeed how sporadic it is. the quest i'm referring to above is only if you manage to find impa on a random field and then follow her to the forgotten temple. i didn't even realize that was a thing until i started noticing my memories were out of order and looked for a way to watch them in order.

the gerudo and definitely the rito dungeons are the best in the game and for sure worth doing. the zora temple is the worst in my opinion but, i thought the fire temple was pretty fun so... maybe you'll like it.

The memories are in order in the compendium, but I still find them in a random order while exploring. I ran into Impa and she told about the Forgotten Temple. (Maybe that triggered numbering them in the compendium as the first one I found didn't have a number at the time, now it does) I guess the temple is in the same place as in BotW? If so I won't get to it for quite a while, going clock wise around the map from Death Mountain this time. I just got to Kariko village but haven't finished up the Zora domain quite yet. I ran into it on the way back to Lookout from coming back out the Depths near Kariko village.

Zora temple was my next to go to, looking forward to it even more now :p Anyway granny needs milk and hylian rice to take her medicine, got to get the important things sorted first haha.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
NintendoPie said:

if you like using the things you build but get tired of building them, make sure to go to the great abandoned central mine and follow that side-quest.

BotW's abilities feel lame in comparison to what TotK brought, to me. the only drawback is not having revali's gale.

What side quest is that? I've discovered all the mines, forge constructs and schema stones in the Depths but haven't found any side quests for the central mine? I know they keep talking about following the statues but a mine is kinda hard to miss, why bother.

The freeze ability and time stop increase momentum was fun in BotW. Recall is too OP imo, way to easy to get around all kinds of puzzles with recall, also makes a lot of combat trivial. (But good to get rid of those annoying octoroks) Ascend is lame, just an excuse for disabling climbing in certain places. Ultra-hand needs a UI overhaul, often I can't even see what I'm trying to place where or accidentally walk off a ledge or cliff trying to fit something. Same for Fuse.

NintendoPie said:

there's the forgotten temple that shows you the order of how all the memories are supposed to go and where they all are on the map, you should head there and take a pic of it for reference. the memory story telling mechanic coming back is lame but, the memories themselves are actually way better than the BotW ones i think.

something that i think is a minus on the game is indeed how sporadic it is. the quest i'm referring to above is only if you manage to find impa on a random field and then follow her to the forgotten temple. i didn't even realize that was a thing until i started noticing my memories were out of order and looked for a way to watch them in order.

the gerudo and definitely the rito dungeons are the best in the game and for sure worth doing. the zora temple is the worst in my opinion but, i thought the fire temple was pretty fun so... maybe you'll like it.

The memories are in order in the compendium, but I still find them in a random order while exploring. I ran into Impa and she told about the Forgotten Temple. (Maybe that triggered numbering them in the compendium as the first one I found didn't have a number at the time, now it does) I guess the temple is in the same place as in BotW? If so I won't get to it for quite a while, going clock wise around the map from Death Mountain this time. I just got to Kariko village but haven't finished up the Zora domain quite yet. I ran into it on the way back to Lookout from coming back out the Depths near Kariko village.

Zora temple was my next to go to, looking forward to it even more now :p Anyway granny needs milk and hylian rice to take her medicine, got to get the important things sorted first haha.

the great central mine is right by the great plateau. (great central mine/great plateau; they kind of fit together haha.) if you started following the yiga clan side-quests then you should've ran into it at some point. it all leads to there. idk how much info i can give without spoiling it but, i'd just head for the great plateau and then go into the closest chasm. it's a super useful ability, especially for you guys that don't like building so i highly recommend it!

ascend is kind of lame but i think they just didn't utilize it well enough. there should've been more areas you could ascend thru that would take you to more "secret" parts of the map. that's kind of what i thought they were gonna do based off the trailers. i think the freeze ability and time stop are kind of unnecessary with ultra-hand and being able to build things as well as recall. both of those are improvements to me.

well yes, if you are going in a strict order around the map then you will find them out of order haha. the forgotten temple is in the canyon by the hebra frontier to the northwest of hyrule castle. i'd assume that's the same spot as BotW but i can't remember.

honestly i think it'd be more fun if you didn't guardrail yourself into playing the map clockwise. the game wants you to go to disparate parts of the map for some quests so things will continue to be weird if you do that. you do you, though! everyone plays differently and i think that's the whole point!

but yeah, zora temple is lame. truly the best boss fight is the rito one and the gerudo is the best dungeon to me.

NintendoPie said:
zeldaring said:

It's Like BOTW, but removes the fun abilities and replaces them with a lot of time wasted with clunky controls and menus.
'I found a new weapon - great now I have to fuse it with something to make it viable. Let's go through my fusion items.. ah who cares, it's gonna break in 5 minutes anyway, let's just choose a random one. Select it, drop it on the floor, change ability to fuse, aim, fuse it'. One minute wasted for no reason. Why must something that should take 2 seconds within the menu itself take 30 seconds of awkward repetitive motions? Baffling. Samething with building and attaching stuff so freaking annoying with its clunky rotation and just bad controls scheme 

Then you have the melee combat in 2017 it's was barely ok in bow. it's 2023 where open world combat as vastly improved and this feels like a turd in comparison. I'm still early in thr game 12 hours in so I will wait it might click in 10 more hours.

well that kind of sums everything up, you're hardly into the game at all. for all the moving parts to click, it takes some time to understand how everything flows together. if you're still on the great sky island then you're in legitimately the worst part of the game - the tutorial zone.

also, i've seen you say you're playing at work and that just seems like the worst possible place to play to me lol. kind of kills the vibe. how did you play BotW if you don't have a switch?

also, if you liked BotW, the weapon breaking system is quite literally the exact same thing. seems odd to assign that to just TotK. i'm not saying you're wrong here, obviously the weapon breaking system is incredibly decisive to some and that's totally fair. i'm used to it and it doesn't bother me. in fact, i think TotK improved the system with adding the fuse ability as now any weapon can be a more damaging one by fusing the best pick-ups to it. you no longer find a royal broadsword and treat it like a baby, now you can fuse a soldier construct 3 horn to a stick and it's still a pretty good weapon.

also, building things with ultra hand is often not required. if you don't like it, you can simply not use it. there's multiple ways to get around the world and i think that the option to choose what you want to do and how you want to do it is a great addition from the developers. it did also take me awhile to get used to building things but once you're used to it, i think it's a piece of cake. plus, if you find the auto build ability, it makes it even easier. if you like using the things you build but get tired of building them, make sure to go to the great abandoned central mine and follow that side-quest.

BotW's abilities feel lame in comparison to what TotK brought, to me. the only drawback is not having revali's

I never liked breakable weapons in botw. I played it on wiiu. I do agree playing this on switch handheld might be effecting my enjoyment as well since it's much inferior to a regular ps5 controller or pro controller

NintendoPie said:

the great central mine is right by the great plateau. (great central mine/great plateau; they kind of fit together haha.) if you started following the yiga clan side-quests then you should've ran into it at some point. it all leads to there. idk how much info i can give without spoiling it but, i'd just head for the great plateau and then go into the closest chasm. it's a super useful ability, especially for you guys that don't like building so i highly recommend it!

ascend is kind of lame but i think they just didn't utilize it well enough. there should've been more areas you could ascend thru that would take you to more "secret" parts of the map. that's kind of what i thought they were gonna do based off the trailers. i think the freeze ability and time stop are kind of unnecessary with ultra-hand and being able to build things as well as recall. both of those are improvements to me.

well yes, if you are going in a strict order around the map then you will find them out of order haha. the forgotten temple is in the canyon by the hebra frontier to the northwest of hyrule castle. i'd assume that's the same spot as BotW but i can't remember.

honestly i think it'd be more fun if you didn't guardrail yourself into playing the map clockwise. the game wants you to go to disparate parts of the map for some quests so things will continue to be weird if you do that. you do you, though! everyone plays differently and i think that's the whole point!

but yeah, zora temple is lame. truly the best boss fight is the rito one and the gerudo is the best dungeon to me.

No worry about spoilers, I explored the entire Depths before doing anything else. I got auto build quite early (I guess that's what you mean), but didn't realize it was a quest. I got to the central mine and they simply gave it to me. Or maybe it was after defeating Khoga there. But that repeats a couple times, didn't seem like it was specific for the ability. Part of the Yiga clan quest then!

Ascend could be utilized better indeed and it's used inconsistently as well. I unlocked the tower in East Necluda (I think) last night next to Kariko err Kakariko, Kakariko? village, which apparently requires Ascend to get into the tower. Yet how do you Ascend through the big balloon at the bottom that launches you up? Plus the cryptic message the repair men gives is about mushrooms, so I was looking for special mushrooms to give him...

I go around clockwise (or in any order for that matter) to make it easier on myself keeping track on what I've done. My memory is very much location based, hence I want proceed area to area. Which sucks with all these 'collect stuff from all over the map' quests.

Question about recall: Is there a way to cancel recall or go forward again after trying (and failing) to grab the object with ultra-hand? It just keeps rewinding further out of reach and then stays there. For example I was transporting a Korok on a scooter, thing kept going off the hill so I hit it with recall trying to grab it on the way back. Yet missed with ultra-hand and it kept on going, then fell in the water, reload. Can't recall a recall :/ But how do you get the L to stop/cancel back after activating ultra-hand?

I got the battery maxed now, after which you can use the crystalized charges to buy Zonai devices and no longer have to rely on the lottery machines. However stock is limited to 10 (per bloodmoon I assume). Costs 3 crystalized charges per item. And I assume it only shows stuff you have discovered in the lottery machines so far as there was nothing 'new' in the menu. (But I also don't know if I still miss anything)

Eurogamer raised accessibility concerns for TotK, valid points.
https://www.eurogamer.net/tears-of-the-kingdom-shows-that-without-change-accessibility-in-nintendo-games-will-remain-accidental

My view on the matter and comment on the article:

"If we freely let players do customizations on key assignments and such, I feel like we're letting go of our responsibility as a developer," Aonuma said. "We have something in mind for everybody when we play the game, so that's what we hope players experience and enjoy as well."

Apparently what they had in mind is me throwing my weapon nearly every time I try to use the build menu, not being able to jump while sprinting and generally getting twisted up when you using ultra-hand. Some video explained why you keep pressing rb instead of lb for select (and thus start to throw things when trying to build) as a result of mixing up the 'action' side and 'select' side on the controller for various functions. A simple button assignment would fix a lot already.

What else sucks, very hard to read names on the map, yellow text on mostly yellow background. When the quest said go to Toto lake I could not find it on the map, had to walk up to the tv to study the map. The map is pretty bad in general, useless in overlapping areas. Menu text is too small, contrast is generally bad and the controls and camera are often the worst enemy and the only reason for dying.

The UI is taking up the most time, finding and selecting things. The steps to fuse an inventory item to a weapon are bonkers. Quick select menu is slower than using the full grid menu, down button is wasted on calling your horse while I keep ending up in quick bow select when I want to choose my follow up weapon after firing an arrow.

Plus I wish you could turn off auto climb, no I don't want to run up a tree or a wall when I accidentally bump into one. A different button for collect and picking up a rock, just running by hovering up poes or loot, link picks up a rock again ugh. But please do use the same button for skip, not x for shrine animations, b for dialog and all buttons plus + for cut scenes like blood moons.

I love the game but the UI and controls are the worst I've experienced since, err, BotW. And much worse than BotW. So that statement doesn't make any sense, button assignments would have been a great start. Letting me directly select what to fuse from the menu the next big improvement. Let me directly pick the next item to use while building and have it directly in my (ultra) hand instead of selecting up to 5 and throwing them on the ground around me. Having items filtered by type would help a lot for the quick select menu. Let me cook in batches, or a simple repeat last recipe at least. Let me rotate along a third axis with ultra hand (with the triggers) and option to keep the rotation tool aligned with the object. An option to have control sticks steer based on camera orientation like steering link in the world. Fix the camera so you can actually see where you are going when flying up with a control stick and can see where you are placing things when raising them above your head with ultra-hand.

I'm (mostly) used to all the quirks and issues of the controls and UI by now (150+ hours in) but still routinely press the wrong buttons, mostly confusing throw for power select and confusing the menu buttons (+ and -) I avoid cooking as it's a pain to select 5 ingredients from all over the place to make each dish one by one. I rather just die and continue... Building is still often an exercise in frustration. Not helped by the glow effect obscuring things more when using ultra-hand. And combat is nothing but a series of pauses to select things, and I mostly just go the puff shroom sneak strike route, avoids getting mixed up with the buttons.

What worries me is that if I put this game down for a few weeks, I'll never be able to get back into it with the way the controls are. It's a once and done game for me, just hanging on by the daily grind with the controls. Luckily all that's on offer is a lot of fun, just wish it was a lot more streamlined to play.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

Eurogamer raised accessibility concerns for TotK, valid points.
https://www.eurogamer.net/tears-of-the-kingdom-shows-that-without-change-accessibility-in-nintendo-games-will-remain-accidental

My view on the matter and comment on the article:

"If we freely let players do customizations on key assignments and such, I feel like we're letting go of our responsibility as a developer," Aonuma said. "We have something in mind for everybody when we play the game, so that's what we hope players experience and enjoy as well."

Apparently what they had in mind is me throwing my weapon nearly every time I try to use the build menu, not being able to jump while sprinting and generally getting twisted up when you using ultra-hand. Some video explained why you keep pressing rb instead of lb for select (and thus start to throw things when trying to build) as a result of mixing up the 'action' side and 'select' side on the controller for various functions. A simple button assignment would fix a lot already.

What else sucks, very hard to read names on the map, yellow text on mostly yellow background. When the quest said go to Toto lake I could not find it on the map, had to walk up to the tv to study the map. The map is pretty bad in general, useless in overlapping areas. Menu text is too small, contrast is generally bad and the controls and camera are often the worst enemy and the only reason for dying.

The UI is taking up the most time, finding and selecting things. The steps to fuse an inventory item to a weapon are bonkers. Quick select menu is slower than using the full grid menu, down button is wasted on calling your horse while I keep ending up in quick bow select when I want to choose my follow up weapon after firing an arrow.

Plus I wish you could turn off auto climb, no I don't want to run up a tree or a wall when I accidentally bump into one. A different button for collect and picking up a rock, just running by hovering up poes or loot, link picks up a rock again ugh. But please do use the same button for skip, not x for shrine animations, b for dialog and all buttons plus + for cut scenes like blood moons.

I love the game but the UI and controls are the worst I've experienced since, err, BotW. And much worse than BotW. So that statement doesn't make any sense, button assignments would have been a great start. Letting me directly select what to fuse from the menu the next big improvement. Let me directly pick the next item to use while building and have it directly in my (ultra) hand instead of selecting up to 5 and throwing them on the ground around me. Having items filtered by type would help a lot for the quick select menu. Let me cook in batches, or a simple repeat last recipe at least. Let me rotate along a third axis with ultra hand (with the triggers) and option to keep the rotation tool aligned with the object. An option to have control sticks steer based on camera orientation like steering link in the world. Fix the camera so you can actually see where you are going when flying up with a control stick and can see where you are placing things when raising them above your head with ultra-hand.

I'm (mostly) used to all the quirks and issues of the controls and UI by now (150+ hours in) but still routinely press the wrong buttons, mostly confusing throw for power select and confusing the menu buttons (+ and -) I avoid cooking as it's a pain to select 5 ingredients from all over the place to make each dish one by one. I rather just die and continue... Building is still often an exercise in frustration. Not helped by the glow effect obscuring things more when using ultra-hand. And combat is nothing but a series of pauses to select things, and I mostly just go the puff shroom sneak strike route, avoids getting mixed up with the buttons.

What worries me is that if I put this game down for a few weeks, I'll never be able to get back into it with the way the controls are. It's a once and done game for me, just hanging on by the daily grind with the controls. Luckily all that's on offer is a lot of fun, just wish it was a lot more streamlined to play.

Yes sir. That's one of the most important things for me and honestly already thought in terms of world and exploration I thought botw nailed it. Just need a new fun combat system and new dungeons and it would be the perfect game for me.

SvennoJ said:

Question about recall: Is there a way to cancel recall or go forward again after trying (and failing) to grab the object with ultra-hand? It just keeps rewinding further out of reach and then stays there. For example I was transporting a Korok on a scooter, thing kept going off the hill so I hit it with recall trying to grab it on the way back. Yet missed with ultra-hand and it kept on going, then fell in the water, reload. Can't recall a recall :/ But how do you get the L to stop/cancel back after activating ultra-hand?

I got the battery maxed now, after which you can use the crystalized charges to buy Zonai devices and no longer have to rely on the lottery machines. However stock is limited to 10 (per bloodmoon I assume). Costs 3 crystalized charges per item. And I assume it only shows stuff you have discovered in the lottery machines so far as there was nothing 'new' in the menu. (But I also don't know if I still miss anything)

i'm a little confused what you're asking. L cancels the recall. if i remember correctly, if you let the recall go it's full cycle it'll go back to the start point again. honestly not entirely sure if i'm correct there though... but if you meant pressing L to cancel and then being able to recall it to the original spot, that's not possible.

if you activate ultra-hand and then want to cancel the recall, you could either let it run the full cycle (still not sure if i'm remembering correctly that it does this or if i'm making it up) or just switch to recall and then press cancel.

NintendoPie said:
SvennoJ said:

i'm a little confused what you're asking. L cancels the recall. if i remember correctly, if you let the recall go it's full cycle it'll go back to the start point again. honestly not entirely sure if i'm correct there though... but if you meant pressing L to cancel and then being able to recall it to the original spot, that's not possible.

if you activate ultra-hand and then want to cancel the recall, you could either let it run the full cycle (still not sure if i'm remembering correctly that it does this or if i'm making it up) or just switch to recall and then press cancel.

Canceling Recall stops the momentum of the objet. It’s a way to stop the mouvement of something if you need it to stay in place once it reach the desired position. A good exemple is stopping a mine cart on its tracks if said tracks are flat.

But if the physics effect that moved the objet at the beginning is still present or active, it will resume its movement.

NintendoPie said:

That's what I'm asking, I don't think I tried activating recall again :) Thanks!

It shot by me so wouldn't have helped, Korok lost. Even stopping the recall would still plummet it off the mountain, although I guess you can recall that again as recall has long range, buy time to get close enough to grab it with ultra-hand. (I reloaded and made a better landing second time)

I had a couple hard shrines last night, more proving grounds, after already making it hard to activate the shrines. Here's a dmg 2 stick, go kill all the constructs. Way to many of those or maybe I'm somehow getting them all in a row lol. Meanwhile the puzzle shrines only seem to get more trivial. The only (small) challenge is to get the treasure, which I leave behind anyway lol. (Crappier shield usually)

Sky island shrines are fun, no clue how many there are but hopefully plenty left to discover. It's often "bring the stone to the shrine" but since it's in the sky it adds a nice aerial challenge. At least finding the shrine first points to the stone, thank you very much for that!

SvennoJ said:

That's what I'm asking, I don't think I tried activating recall again :) Thanks!

It shot by me so wouldn't have helped, Korok lost. Even stopping the recall would still plummet it off the mountain, although I guess you can recall that again as recall has long range, buy time to get close enough to grab it with ultra-hand. (I reloaded and made a better landing second time)

I had a couple hard shrines last night, more proving grounds, after already making it hard to activate the shrines. Here's a dmg 2 stick, go kill all the constructs. Way to many of those or maybe I'm somehow getting them all in a row lol. Meanwhile the puzzle shrines only seem to get more trivial. The only (small) challenge is to get the treasure, which I leave behind anyway lol. (Crappier shield usually)

Sky island shrines are fun, no clue how many there are but hopefully plenty left to discover. It's often "bring the stone to the shrine" but since it's in the sky it adds a nice aerial challenge. At least finding the shrine first points to the stone, thank you very much for that!

of course. hopefully that does what you were looking for!

the shrines in general are my least favorite part. once i got enough stamina and hearts, i never went in them again. i actually enjoy the combat shrines the most though, massively contrary to popular opinion lol. the "hidden" items in the shrines in TotK are way worse than in BotW so i never bothered with them either.

i feel like i never really ran into too many proving grounds; out of all the shrines i did maybe something like 30% were that type. it may be possible that you are just running into them consistently on accident lol.