By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which game were you more excited for when revealed, Mario Bros Wonder or Super Mario Odyssey?

Which game were you more excited for when revealed?

Super Mario Odyssey 34 65.38%

Super Mario Bros Wonder 18 34.62%

Total:52

Wonder looks like what I've wanted for 2D Mario games, but 3D Mario games tend to have a lot more depth. Odyssey has blown my mind more than just about any Mario game.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

I definitely am more excited about Wonder, while I don't even find Odyssey to be a fun game.

Also, this question is not too different from saying, "Which do you prefer 2D Mario or 3D Mario?" A lot more people in the world grew up playing the NES and SNES, and most of these people are going to prefer 2D Mario. Most people who grew up playing the N64 and GCN are going to prefer 3D Mario. But on internet forums you are going to encounter a lot more of the latter group compared to the former. So there is always going to be this disconnect where the internet makes it seem like 3D Mario is more popular, but they you look at sales numbers and more people end up buying 2D Mario.

The hype for Odyssey was on another level. This is great, but nothing like that.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Odyssey by quite a bit, but still extremely excited for Wonder as well.

Odyssey. But since it ended up being kind of disappointing, I think Wonder will win in the long run as the better game.

Around the Network

The way I felt towards Odyssey is completely different to the react I had for Wonder.
Like in the end, I loved Odyssey, I'm prolly gonna like Wonder as well. But it hasn't match the hype I fell in during the Odyssey wait.

Still a new original 2D Mario platformer in more than 10 years is quite the event in itself so I'm hyped there too

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I definitely am more excited about Wonder, while I don't even find Odyssey to be a fun game.

Also, this question is not too different from saying, "Which do you prefer 2D Mario or 3D Mario?" A lot more people in the world grew up playing the NES and SNES, and most of these people are going to prefer 2D Mario. Most people who grew up playing the N64 and GCN are going to prefer 3D Mario. But on internet forums you are going to encounter a lot more of the latter group compared to the former. So there is always going to be this disconnect where the internet makes it seem like 3D Mario is more popular, but they you look at sales numbers and more people end up buying 2D Mario.

I dont think so. I grew up with the NES and SNES and I do love SMB3 and SMW, but the 3D mario games are just way better than the NSMB games imo. Wonder looks better, but still has that NSMB kinda feel to it. Although it does look more unique.

KLXVER said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I dont think so. I grew up with the NES and SNES and I do love SMB3 and SMW, but the 3D mario games are just way better than the NSMB games imo. Wonder looks better, but still has that NSMB kinda feel to it. Although it does look more unique.

Yeah I was just gonna say the same thing.

2D vs 3D Mario has nothing to do with if you grew up playing 2D Mario games in the 80s and 90s. I grew up with the NES and SNES and I love the mainline Mario games which were the 2D games and then the 3D games. The 2D Mario games since they resurrected it with the 'New' series feel like side games, not AAA Mario's. Sadly, 2D Mario has become just another platformer. 2D Mario no longer stands out in its own genre.

I think most people would consider the classic 2D Mario games, and the 3D games to be the best, no matter their preference for the 2D gameplay vs the 3D gameplay. I think the only people that would be more excited for Wonder than Odyssey are those people who for whatever reason specifically don't like 3D Mario, to which I say, mannn you are missing out!!

Ironically, the best 2D Mario game this century has been one of the 3D games - 3D World. 3D World did 2D Mario much better than any of the 2D Mario games we've seen in the past 25 years. If Nintendo had kept 3D Mario the same as 2D Mario when it moved into 3D games on the N64 (instead of making 3D Mario a whole different style of play), 3D World would have been the perfect translation from 2D to 3D. I have a soft spot for 2D Mario since I grew up on it, but honestly I'd rather have a 3D World series take over as the 2D Mario games these days to keep that linear level-based gameplay of the 2D Mario series going because it was just way better than any attempt Nintendo has made to bring strictly 2D Mario back. I'd be way more excited about a 3D World 2 than I am about Wonder.

2D Mario these days feels like something I'd play with a girl or with a kid, just casual multiplayer fun, but if you're looking for a top gaming experience that is what the 3D Mario's are for these days.

We'll have to see how Mario Wonder ends up. While it introduces a bunch of new things and updates the visuals/animations a lot, we'll have to wait and see if it actually plays different than the 'New' series. Based on the trailer, to me it seems like it will have the same loose controls and focus on multiplayer over single player that the 'New' series had, basically a more casual/kids multiplayer focus rather than being the premier 2D platformer series that Mario was back in the 80s & 90s.

I grew up playing 2d mario well but Mario 64 gave me a feeling like never before. Truly way ahead of it's time.

KLXVER said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

There's a reason why I said "most people" and not "all people".    It's also possible for someone to like both kinds of games or neither, because they are really two different kinds of games. 

However, 2D Mario does tend to sell significantly better than 3D Mario, and 2D Mario started on the NES which was significantly more popular than the N64, which was 3D Mario's first system.