By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which game were you more excited for when revealed, Mario Bros Wonder or Super Mario Odyssey?

Which game were you more excited for when revealed?

Super Mario Odyssey 34 65.38%

Super Mario Bros Wonder 18 34.62%

Total:52

Odyssey and it ain't even close.

Wonder will hopefully be awesome and drag 2D Mario out of the staleness and mediocrity it got into over time with the 'New' series. Then again, I'm not sure it won't just be a prettier, wackier version of the 'New' series, which would be unfortunate. Find out in four months. Best case scenario it makes 2D Mario awesome again. I'm going into the game with cautious hope that it doesn't just look different from the 'New' series but will play totally different as well.

But Odyssey!... Odyssey was one of the absolute top reasons to get a Switch in those first couple years. Odyssey is a premier title of the entire generation, all systems included. Odyssey was like Mario 64 twenty years later. Odyssey is in the discussion for best Mario game ever. And it was a HUGE game for being a platformer, most even 3D platformers are like half the length or less of Odyssey. Hell, I 100%'d all of 3D World except the final post-game world, and 100%'d Bowser's Fury, in just over half the time I spent on Odyssey probably only having like 80-85%'d that game. Odyssey is one of those generational titles from Nintendo, and, to the point of the question, asking about how excited we were when it was revealed, Odyssey looked like it was gonna be the sort of generational game that it turned out to be. Mario Wonder looks like a potentially cool wacky new 2D Mario, but I don't YET see anything suggesting its gonna break new ground or be one of the absolute best games of the generation.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:

Odyssey for sure.

It and Pokemon Sword made me want to get a Switch (and were two of my first games when I bought my Switch back in 2020).

Would you guys be saying the samething if mario wonder had cup artstyle and looked like this instead?

I'd welcome the old art style back but if it still looked like the slippery mess that the NSMB games are, still would not buy it.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

I'd welcome the old art style back but if it still looked like the slippery mess that the NSMB games are, still would not buy it.

Yea I always thought NSMB were good. I enjoyed them. They were a little floaty but don't remember being slippery.

That artstyle which was I was hoping for would get me super hyped but of course it has to be a great game 

Odyssey. I don't like 2D Mario so Odyssey wins by default.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:

Would you guys be saying the samething if mario wonder had cup artstyle and looked like this instead?

I have fond memories of SMB3 and SMW - but I prefer 3D Mario over 2D Mario nowadays.

Looking at SMB Wonder, it makes me feel nostalgic about SMB3/SMW - so if its more like that and less like NSMB - I could see it taking my interest to a new level but I wont know that until I play it.

NSMB's gameplay felt slow/slippery/floaty - whatever you call it, compared to the older 2D Mario games.

I'm not a Mario fan, so neither really

But among those two, Odyssey by far. It looked incredible, and the trailer was iconic. It was the second or third game I bought for my Switch and have no regrets, game is wonderful

Super Mario Wonder made me yawn

Wonder!! No Doubt! Not because I thought Wonder was super amazing or anything, but 2d Mario is so much better than 3D.

Of the two options given, Odyssey.

But for the whole series, the reveal of Super Mario Bros. 3 is what got me most hyped. Seeing it teased in Nintendo Power and then shown in action in The Wizard got 9-year-old me super excited.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Wonder for me. I loved SMB64, heavily enjoyed Sunshine and liked Galaxy. But Odyssey... I don't know. I could tell it was a great game when I played it, but it felt like they had moved a tad further away from what Mario's roots for me to fully enjoy it. To date, it's the only Mainline Mario game that I've beaten once and never touched again.

Also, I enjoy 2D Mario more than 3D, so there's that.