By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - May Circana (NPD) 2023 Thread + Predictions

Welp, here's to next week anticipated results !

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

Results:

TLDR

Units: NS > PS5 > XSX|S
Revenue: NS > PS5 > XSX|S

YTD Units: PS5 > NS > XSX|S
YTD Revenue: PS5 > NS > XSX|S

Full VGChartz articles will be up soon.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter, Bluesky, and Threads.

I post and adjust the VGChartz hardware estimates, with help from Machina.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Monthly Hardware Breakdown Monthly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:

Results:

TLDR

The Switch must have sold very well to beat the PS5 in Revenue.    This is to be expected with a release as big as Zelda though. 

CosmicSex said:
trunkswd said:

Results:

TLDR

The Switch must have sold very well to beat the PS5 in Revenue.    This is to be expected with a release as big as Zelda though. 

Switch had the 2nd best May for the platform in terms of units sold and best May for the platform in terms of revenue. We have Switch in May 2020 at 514K.

Last edited by trunkswd - on 27 June 2023

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter, Bluesky, and Threads.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Monthly Hardware Breakdown Monthly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

OP updated with the VGChartz article

Around the Network

Hot damn, those Switch sales sound pretty crazy. By VGChartz estimates second best May ever would put it between 470k and 514k, my lofty prediction of 450k might actually have been too low. Switch is definitely off to an amazing start this fiscal year.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Hot damn, those Switch sales sound pretty crazy. By VGChartz estimates second best May ever would put it between 470k and 514k, my lofty prediction of 450k might actually have been too low. Switch is definitely off to an amazing start this fiscal year.

I'm going through the figures and it looks like we have Switch too high in May 2021. As having the Switch above 470K really limits its sales. Though revenue needs to be above May 2020. ASP for May 2023 due to Zelda OLED+OLED being vast majority sales likely means ASP is around ~$320. 

DonFerrari said:

Will Circana give real numbers?

Yeah, if you're willing to spend thousands of dollars and sign an NDA.

This is America we're talking about. All things must exist in service to business executives and shareholders. This ain't Japan, where sales have been reported weekly for free in a video game magazine since the 90s. Don't ask for alternatives, either. I know first-hand where that gets you: just a bunch of nasty comments from people stanning corporations.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

trunkswd said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

I'm going through the figures and it looks like we have Switch too high in May 2021. As having the Switch above 470K really limits its sales. Though revenue needs to be above May 2020. ASP for May 2023 due to Zelda OLED+OLED being vast majority sales likely means ASP is around ~$320. 

Fair enough, 470k did sound quite high. Apparently the thread from back then also places it below 451k: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/244822/may-npd-2021-thread/1/

Still a huge month though.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:
trunkswd said:

Fair enough, 470k did sound quite high. Apparently the thread from back then also places it below 451k: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/244822/may-npd-2021-thread/1/

Still a huge month though.

Looks like Switch was just below 400K in May 2021. We are putting Switch around 450K for May 2023. PS5 around 270K and XS around 145K. I gave XS a similar drop YoY that was seen in some of the other reports. PS5 is more than double YoY and had to make sure Switch revenue for May 2023 is a new record for the console.