By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Final Fantasy XVI Discussion thread! Total Sales top 3 million!!!

Eh, I'd rate them around the same.

I feel there's an almost 10/10 20-hour game under the 8/10 30-hour bloat that is FFVII Remake. 16 also has some bloat to hide the shortness of the main campaign, but since we know VII is a trilogy I don't feel like it was missing content like 16 does.

Around the Network
Farsala said:

So I was finishing up the last of the side quests and then it happened, "You have reached maximum level". Disgusting. Why am I hitting max level through the normal course of the game? My plan tomorrow was a short grind session just for fun, and then beat the final boss this weekend. Well guess I just kill the final boss tomorrow and be done with it.

Haha what? What are talking about?

The Max level is 99. You will not hit level 99 just by playing the game. You will have to grind it out. The Max cap for first playthrough is 50, which you will naturally reach in any other Final Fantasy! What is the problem? If you are not griding 50's is where standard players will be by the end of every other FF game.

EDIT: FF7 Remake also had a 50 level cap that was also reached with very little effort. Also, just like FF7R it is more important to grind out abilities/materia/keep gear updated than level. 

Last edited by Xxain - on 13 July 2023

Farsala said:
Runa216 said:

Trust me, you want the levels for NG+/FF Mode if you're not using the auto-rings. 

Don't care about NG+ if it is same story.

Your loss, I guess. Ah well. 

Farsala said:

As promised I finished the game, because there was literally nothing else to do aside from time trials. Overall I would rate it a solid better than FF13 or FF15 out of 10.

But only just. I would write a full critique if my keyboard cooperated, however that is not in the cards today. I am honestly surprised this game got the same score from reviewers as FFVII Remake.

I enjoyed FF16 quite a bit, but I enjoyed FFVII remake that much more.

I mean, you can have two awesome things. You don't need to put something down to prop something else you like more up. FFXVI doesn't need to suck to justify your love or preference for VII Remake. 

I personally scored then 9.7 for XVI and 9.5 for VII Remake, both are truly amazing games and I imagine upon reflection and completion of the VII Remake trilogy I'll like that one even more. 

It's the same thing with moron console war nonsense, where some Nintendo and Xbox fans are disparaging XVI, or Sony and Xbox fans disparaging Tears of the Kingdom, or Nintendo and Sony fans disparaging Starfield. Can't we just live in a world where all three of these games do well, are loved, and have their own respective places on history? just like how we can have XVI and VII Rebirth and the Pixel Remasters all within a year of each other and all of them can be great in their own ways. Just like how Dead Space and Resident Evil 4 can both get remakes that are outstanding without ruining the originals. 

Y'all can like more than one thing, you know. not everything needs to be tribalist nonsense. 

Last edited by Runa216 - on 13 July 2023

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

I guess I'll just post my comment about the game that I posted in Club Nintendo in here since I finished it:

I really enjoyed the game overall and found the "It's not a Final Fantasy game" comments pretty unfounded. It's still very much a Final Fantasy game. I think it's funny that the Game of Thrones comparison got so much traction when people talk about the game because the GoT-esque qualities of the game give way to some more traditional FF and JRPG storytelling fairly early in the game. The villain and the ending also reminded me a lot of Xenoblade 3, which I enjoyed. I'd have to think about where I'd rank the game among all the other mainline games, but I think it would make the top 5 for me.

My main issues with the game were the MMO pacing which could lead to a frustrating amount of downtime in between major story beats, and that certain storylines the game deems as sidequests are actually pretty important and I would have been upset at not experiencing them had I not chosen to do all the sidequests. If they had labeled these quests a little bit more clearly as being significant, I'd probably not have as much of an issue. Another thing that I've seen people complain about is that sometimes plot elements weren't explained very well which force you to make certain assumptions about the plot. I don't personally mind this too much, as I'm not the biggest fan of stories over-explaining every little detail to the point where it leaves no room for imagination. I like filling in the blanks myself sometimes.

Otherwise I really like the main cast, there were some really likeable side-characters. Clive really grew on me as a protagonist as well after worrying he would be a bit too brooding and dour. Much of the main cast has some of the best voice acting I've ever heard in a game too, and the game really lands some very heavy emotional scenes which I'd say are on par with similar scenes in games like VII and X. Music is also great, but that's kind of par for the course when it comes to FF. I also enjoyed the combat for what it was, I don't really play character action games, but I felt XVI's combat was pretty accessible. If I could change anything though it would just be letting players pick the harder difficulty from the beginning instead of making people beat the game.

Xxain said:
Farsala said:

So I was finishing up the last of the side quests and then it happened, "You have reached maximum level". Disgusting. Why am I hitting max level through the normal course of the game? My plan tomorrow was a short grind session just for fun, and then beat the final boss this weekend. Well guess I just kill the final boss tomorrow and be done with it.

Haha what? What are talking about?

The Max level is 99. You will not hit level 99 just by playing the game. You will have to grind it out. The Max cap for first playthrough is 50, which you will naturally reach in any other Final Fantasy! What is the problem? If you are not griding 50's is where standard players will be by the end of every other FF game.

EDIT: FF7 Remake also had a 50 level cap that was also reached with very little effort. Also, just like FF7R it is more important to grind out abilities/materia/keep gear updated than level. 

All other JRPGs let me grind before the final boss. some have stat grinds as ell. FF7R lets you grind materia.

Runa216 said:
Farsala said:

Don't care about NG+ if it is same story.

Your loss, I guess. Ah well. 

Farsala said:

As promised I finished the game, because there was literally nothing else to do aside from time trials. Overall I would rate it a solid better than FF13 or FF15 out of 10.

But only just. I would write a full critique if my keyboard cooperated, however that is not in the cards today. I am honestly surprised this game got the same score from reviewers as FFVII Remake.

I enjoyed FF16 quite a bit, but I enjoyed FFVII remake that much more.

I mean, you can have two awesome things. You don't need to put something down to prop something else you like more up. FFXVI doesn't need to suck to justify your love or preference for VII Remake. 

I personally scored then 9.7 for XVI and 9.5 for VII Remake, both are truly amazing games and I imagine upon reflection and completion of the VII Remake trilogy I'll like that one even more. 

It's the same thing with moron console war nonsense, where some Nintendo and Xbox fans are disparaging XVI, or Sony and Xbox fans disparaging Tears of the Kingdom, or Nintendo and Sony fans disparaging Starfield. Can't we just live in a world where all three of these games do well, are loved, and have their own respective places on history? just like how we can have XVI and VII Rebirth and the Pixel Remasters all within a year of each other and all of them can be great in their own ways. Just like how Dead Space and Resident Evil 4 can both get remakes that are outstanding without ruining the originals. 

Y'all can like more than one thing, you know. not everything needs to be tribalist nonsense. 

This hole post is a bunch of fluff because I clearly stated I liked them both quite a bit.

Around the Network

75% in. Hopefully will finish my first run on my next weekend.

As expected Bahamut fight was awesome but it did not wow me the way Titan did. Still a spectacle though.

Spoiler!

I was not satisfied with Annabella ending, and that was probably the intention. She deserved much more than what happened to her.

What the hell was going on with Barnabas? I'm assuming that it was just a mental illusion of Ultima taking all those forms and not THE Ultima himself? That would be severely less creepy. I'm sensing a Taboo relationship with our next kingdom.

Ultima so cool!

I beat the game, one of my favourite FFs and I loved the GOT references. Easy GOTY candidate for me.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Oooooooook!! End game! FINALLY! Fuck the Chronolith trials! These things are the reason I have not updated in like a week or 2

Max Level
All abilities learned and mastered
All Hunts
All quest
All Curiosities
All everything!

47/50 trophies (Beat the game, Beat it again)

I will be wrapping my first run up this evening. What was some of your problems with the story towards the end?

EDIT: By the way I don't recall the story finally giving us the Tee on Bearers in regards to why; What was their intended purpose from the perspective of Ultima?

Last edited by Xxain - on 26 July 2023

Xxain said:

Oooooooook!! End game! FINALLY! Fuck the Chronolith trials! These things are the reason I have not updated in like a week or 2

Max Level
All Hunts
All quest
All Curiosities
All everything!

I will be wrapping my first run up this evening. What was some of your problems with the story towards the end?

EDIT: By the way I don't recall the story finally giving us the Tee on Bearers in regards to why; What was their intended purpose from the perspective of Ultima?

wait, you maxed out all abilities BEFORE starting NG+? HEck man. Heck.

I'm about 2/3 into NG+ and I have two more abilities to master. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
Xxain said:

Max Level
All Hunts
All quest
All Curiosities
All everything!

wait, you maxed out all abilities BEFORE starting NG+? HEck man. Heck.

I'm about 2/3 into NG+ and I have two more abilities to master. 

My current play time is at or close to 80 hours. I spent a lot of time just grinding out Eikons so that I would not have to do so much grinding towards the end the game. The wolves give 480 Ap on Ash and they are close to the warp crystal. Warp - kill - repeat. Did not take long to max out whatever was left when I reached that point of the game.  I also wanted to ensure that the only thing I had to do on my next playthrough was beat the game. That's it. I might get Ultima Weapon and I'm definitely going to abuse the timely accessories.