By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Final Fantasy XVI Discussion thread! Total Sales top 3 million!!!

56% of FF16's sales were digital (44% boxed)

"This is GSD data provided by ISFE."

Around the Network

I just wanna say, for anyone complaining about FFXVI not being 'final fantasy' in the traditional sense, I just realized something.

Final Fantasy 1-9 (the most traditional era) were made and released between the years of 1987 and 2000. 13 years.

Final Fantast 10-16 (The more recent ones that people tend to be most critical of for changing things up) happened between 2001-2023.

We've been in a 'non-traditional' era of Final Fantasy longer than we've been in a 'traditional' era by a pretty wide margin. At a certain point you really gotta recalibrate your perception and stop letting Nostalgia get in the way of enjoying new, awesome things.

Like, yeah, there are a few things I wish were in XVI, or subtle ways I feel they could have incorporated more 'traditional' elements, but that isn't stopping me from loving what's there. I love the combat. I love the world. I love the exploration. I love the characters. I love waaaaayyyyy more about the game than I dislike. and as I said before, the minor quibbles I have are only quibbles because they're compared and contrasted against my expectations or hopes based on prior games I love, not because they're actually better or worse.

Like, I was super disappointed in Final Fantasy VIII when there was no place like the Golden Saucer to play all the mini-games, but I got over it. I Was also disappointed when IX's card game wasn't as good as VIII's, but I got over it. I also was sad when X lacked a world map but I got over it. I was also sad when XII changed up the formula and failed to make a narrative that was as compelling as the others, but I still got over it. all of these games are among my favourites, and each one has a thing or two I missed from prior or following entries. Again, Final Fantasy has ALWAYS been about switching things up, trying new things, and changing the formula with each new entry.

So this not being like Final Fantasy in the past is in some ways the best example of how it IS Final Fantasy. and, as I've been there since 6/7, I can also say that complaining that the new game isn't the same as the old games is the most 'final fantasy fan' it could possibly be.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Took a little brake for a few days. Currently at the 60% mark. On my way to deal with Kupka. A deady stamina drainer is Lightning Rod and Will o Wisp combo. both by themselves are pretty potent.

A203D said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

With the whole Mothercrystal plot, how can anyone say this is not a Final Fantasy game ?

Its a Final Fantasy game. The story attemps to be the inverse of Final Fantasy and the last third of the game is traditional Final Fantasy save the world. The issues with the game are more to do with how theres not much banter between the characters, its mostly serious conversations, which is fine, because this is a different type of Final Fantasy.

The serious issue with the game is the combat, which is actually quite excellent, but theres so much wasted potential in that you have 6 Eikons, but can't even use half the moves in the same battle setup. You can spend all that time and effort mastering Ramuh, but you have to unequip him to use something like Titan. How they got this so wrong I don't understand.

Because they didn't. When you master a ability you can equip on another Eikon. 

Xxain said:
A203D said:

Its a Final Fantasy game. The story attemps to be the inverse of Final Fantasy and the last third of the game is traditional Final Fantasy save the world. The issues with the game are more to do with how theres not much banter between the characters, its mostly serious conversations, which is fine, because this is a different type of Final Fantasy.

The serious issue with the game is the combat, which is actually quite excellent, but theres so much wasted potential in that you have 6 Eikons, but can't even use half the moves in the same battle setup. You can spend all that time and effort mastering Ramuh, but you have to unequip him to use something like Titan. How they got this so wrong I don't understand.

Yea I never knew this through my first playthrough. It's actually things like this that made me start going for the plat in games (if they are reasonable). I always discover and learn new things that I wouldn't have otherwise. Like the final power in the game is kind of confusing and hard to use but going for the plat made me use it and I realized just how powerful it is. It's made my second playthrough of the game so enjoyable because I have this new power that IMO is probably the best one with Fire being the only one that comes close. It's also how I found out about mastering abilities because I need to use three wind powers to unlock a trophy.

Around the Network
Xxain said:
A203D said:

I apprecaite that, but you can only equip two abilities on each Eikon. If you use one space for a master ability you only have one space left and you would  probably want to use that for the Eikon's finishing move. With over 32+ abilities you can equip not even half of the abilities. A lot of the abilites remain in the menu, rarely getting used.

It would have been better to have three party members and have two Eikons on each party member. It would have given so many more combat options and depth with all those abilities at your disposal

Welp, just beat the game this morning. I need time to emotionally recover. But hey, NG+ has you returning to just after the prologue and all of a sudden we're seeing all of the allies we made along the way and I'm sad again.

Seriously the best written Final Fantasy by a pretty wide margin. Best cast of characters (Aside from the ultimate villain), some of the best world and lore. Honestly deserves a place among the all-time FF greats. 9.7/10 from me.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Man, removing the motion blur at last makes frame interpolation shine and the game looks and plays amazing in exploration. I just wish there was a mode where it's graphics outside of combat and performance in-combat because the input lag in graphics mode, doubling frames or not, feels excessive for an action RPG.

I am just before the final dungeon. A fun game, certainly better than 15 and 13. However, I still yearn for FFVII Remake more than this one. I say that as a person who didn't really enjoy the Original FFVII too much because I loved FFVIII.

Gameplay and world design were much better in FFVII remake for me.

FF16 strong points include all the lore and character stories and bosses. Of course

Spoiler!
after the GoT plotlines were sidelined, the main plot went downhill and became too depressing. Like really waleod is just so bad.

Just finished the game, final impressions are similar to my first impressions, probably due to recency bias.

Spoiler!

I loved the gameplay, it was fun, I still prefer FFVIIR's system better but I very much enjoyed this one.
I loved the story, I think it loses some steam near the end but overall its one of the better written FF imo. 
Clive is a good protagonist.
Soundtrack is fantastic.
Boss fights are all pretty epic.
Visually great.
I feel the standard difficulty wouldve benefitted from been more difficult.
Definitely better than Tales of Arise... Or FF13 and FF15. 

I still think secondary characters needed a bit more flushing out, characters are too serious for the most part, wouldnt have hurt to have more banter between Clive and Jill. Give her a bit more personality. Or to have traveling companions actually useful in battle.
I disliked Ultima as an antagonist, and I think its probably the weakest aspect of the game. Its a jrpg cliche that the games end up being "We have to kill god to save the world" but damn this game didnt need it. Story was strong as a political entanglement between nations. Very reminescence of Game of Thrones. Ultima feels forced.

Last edited by Jpcc86 - on 09 July 2023