By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 24, 2023 (Jun 05 - Jun 11)

zorg1000 said:
PAOerfulone said:

This can’t all just be TOTK, can it?!

Norion said:

What the hell is going on with the Switch right now in Japan? I thought TOTK would notably boost sales for 2-3 weeks and then it'd return to normal but it's suddenly doing over 100k the week nearly a month after launch. From what I've seen the boost elsewhere hasn't been this big and Japan isn't as into Zelda as something like Splatoon and Splatoon 3 didn't boost sales for this long so this is cool to see but genuinely confusing at this point.

I think people are underestimating  the Mario movie effect. It’s like Pokémon Go for 3DS in 2016.

anonymunchy said:
Norion said:

What the hell is going on with the Switch right now in Japan? I thought TOTK would notably boost sales for 2-3 weeks and then it'd return to normal but it's suddenly doing over 100k the week nearly a month after launch. From what I've seen the boost elsewhere hasn't been this big and Japan isn't as into Zelda as something like Splatoon and Splatoon 3 didn't boost sales for this long so this is cool to see but genuinely confusing at this point.

There's likely something else at play, maybe the Mario Movie had a big impact as well? It came out the same weekend as the Zelda OLED edition in Japan if I remember correctly. Still wouldn't really explain how sales are going up 5 weeks after TotK release. This almost feels like a GameBoy Pokémon moment, where one game reinvigorates interest and sales just keep creeping up. I wonder what the coming weeks are going to look like and how much of an impact Pikmin 4 can make. 

The Mario film will have played a part but Japan is still have a uniquely big boost so it's perplexing. Pikmin 4 shouldn't do much since it's a niche series but after the past few weeks I have no idea how the Switch is gonna sell here in the next couple months.

Around the Network

An Xbox game in the top 10? In Japan!?

Meanwhile Switch can't find the brakes on those console sales! What a wild week

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Amazon stock is horrible. I went to the website and FF16 is out of stock, Zelda is out of stock, PS5 is always out of stock. They have a feature now that says how much an item sold in the past month and it says FF16 sold 20.000 copies there. That is a high number, just imagine if they actually had PS5 FF16 bundle in stock. I believe it could sell a little bit better.

What happened to the Switch ?
And the popularity of Diablo...

Norion said:
zorg1000 said:

Norion said:

I think people are underestimating  the Mario movie effect. It’s like Pokémon Go for 3DS in 2016.

anonymunchy said:

There's likely something else at play, maybe the Mario Movie had a big impact as well? It came out the same weekend as the Zelda OLED edition in Japan if I remember correctly. Still wouldn't really explain how sales are going up 5 weeks after TotK release. This almost feels like a GameBoy Pokémon moment, where one game reinvigorates interest and sales just keep creeping up. I wonder what the coming weeks are going to look like and how much of an impact Pikmin 4 can make. 

The Mario film will have played a part but Japan is still have a uniquely big boost so it's perplexing. Pikmin 4 shouldn't do much since it's a niche series but after the past few weeks I have no idea how the Switch is gonna sell here in the next couple months.

Pikmin is a niche series, but it's actually pretty known in Japan compared to other Nintendo franchise at the same level like Metroid. There was a Pikmin song that became a hit in Japan when it first released. It's probably going to do 1 million physical+digital, but not sure how that would impact Switch sales when it's selling like crazy now. Perhaps some people buying it now are people buying it early for Pikmin lol.

Around the Network

Okay the gliding gif doesn't cut it anymore, Switch be like

Nintendo killing it, im not surprised , it is what they deserve, now give us New DK + Mario 2D + Rhythm Heaven

Switch is the best console ever, love it so much!

youngbr said:

Amazon stock is horrible. I went to the website and FF16 is out of stock, Zelda is out of stock, PS5 is always out of stock. They have a feature now that says how much an item sold in the past month and it says FF16 sold 20.000 copies there. That is a high number, just imagine if they actually had PS5 FF16 bundle in stock. I believe it could sell a little bit better.

So there's still stock issues. It's why the bad numbers for PS5 the last few months. It should be selling 80-90k weekly like earlier in the year

Pinkie_pie said:
youngbr said:

So there's still stock issues. It's why the bad numbers for PS5 the last few months. It should be selling 80-90k weekly like earlier in the year

Not necessarily. How is stock at other outlets? And even if it is constrained, demand may be only slightly higher than supply, not massively.

PS5 isn't doing badly, it's performing well for what it is, a Playstation home console in a country that prefer portable Nintendo systems.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 16 June 2023

youngbr said:

There are some stock issues for the PS5, but only for the digital version. If you include a Zip code from Japan, you can clearly see that there is stock.

Bein about 500-600k higher than the PS4 launch aligned is something significant considering the higher price, stock issues and more. The system will sell more than 2m units this year and has a crack at 3m (very slight).