By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Are Xbox (and Sony) guilty of overpromising this generation?

rapsuperstar31 said:
JackHandy said:

Well, my first console was the NES. My mom got it for me as a kid. And since then, I've either been given, or have purchased for myself, at least one console for each generation.

Up until PS5/XB4.

That tells you something right there. If someone like me, who is still clearly interested in the industry, can pass on an entire generation, you know something is amiss. At this point, I feel like the only thing that could make me upgrade is some revolutionary, Halo CE/GTA 3/OOT killer app. But I don't think that's going to happen, so I'll likely skip out on what Sony and Microsoft are offering, which is pretty sad. I have owned every Playstation and Xbox since their first. It sucks.

Are you just not going to play console games for the next 5 years if most games don't come to PS4/Xbox One?

I'll get one of the systems, or even both, if something comes out that compels me to do so, but it's going to have to be in the tier of games I mentioned. 

Around the Network

I think a lot it comes down to context. I remember the PS3 having these 1080p 60fos games like pixel junk. It's 1080p and 60fps but it don't look or play next gen.

The same arguement can be made with 4k or 8k. It isn't the same when you have games like Horizon, Starfield and the like.

This is no longer the 8 bit generation where it is just a matter or pixels going up and colours, there are so many complex technologies at play from HDR, 3D sound, AI, number of NPCs, fast loading, physical destruction, non static objects unlike the Matrix demo etc that 4k alone doesn't eve tell half the story of what makes a game look good.

I'm pretty sure if either one wanted they could make a simple looking game that is 8k or 4k at 60fps but you won't get the beautiful words we see in Ratchet, Horizon, Starfield etc.

Even looking at Hellblade, you can tell the darkness and linear level design had to be used to as something has to give somewhere.

The new Spidey game loads the world super fast, but the end result is the games graphics not being as big as a leap as many suspected.

UnderwaterFunktown said:

I can't say I really understand the takes defending the companies by saying it's marketing and pushing the blame unto gamers for expecting too much. Obviously it's good advice in general to be cautious of marketing speak, but it feels a little like saying that it's fine for companies to make misleading claims because you shouldn't believe them. Again not saying anybody outrighed lied in these cases, but I would consider some of the pre launch information misleading.

It's the same with PSVR2, marketed as a 4K headset.
https://www.playstation.com/en-ca/ps-vr2/
Experience the next generation of VR and play with stunning 4K HDR Visuals.

Which lead to many new users expecting resolution comparable to their 4K TV in VR, in reality it's closer to DVD quality, 2000 pixels (per eye) wide over 110 degrees. There still are (were, it's closed atm out of protest) daily questions on the PSVR subreddit whether you can watch 4K movies on the virtual screen. (Yes you can, in DVD resolution unless you want to watch with your head on a swivel to get closer to 1080p)

It is stunning, but 20 pixels per degree is about the most you get out of the headset, where 20/20 vision is at 60 pixels per degree and 4K tvs are on average viewed at 100 pixels per degree. So expect about 1/5th of the sharpness compared to native 4K on 65" tv viewed from 7ft away.

Of course 4K tv isn't really 4K either 3840...

However companies should be held to a higher standard for advertising, not just for the machines, every big new game launch seems to be over promising again and again. Then even cancelling what was promised (no Halo Infinite couch co-op) Plus for all the fast loading hype with Sony, half a minute long loading screens in Switchback VR??? (Tbf Races do load super fast in GT7)

At this point, neither PS5 nor Xbox Series really feel like a new generation to me, the games just don't look like a generational leap over PS4/Xbox One.
I have yet to see anything on these machines that looks as far ahead of last gen as, say, Ryse Son of Rome or Killzone Shadowfall did over PS3/360 games, or Gears of War did over PS2/GC/Xbox games.

Conina said:

up to 120 fps: there are a few 120-fps-games... check!

8K capability: the Series X can output a 8K-signal up to 60 Hz... check!

It's not their fault if some people expect those extremes for Triple-A-games instead of lightweights like "The Touryst".

I think Xbox can't output 8k signal (hdmi 2.1 sure is standard that allows it), and Xbox run The Touryst at 6k if I'm not wrong.

PS5 runs The Touryst 8k internally but output is still limited to 4k.

But can say I'm currently satisfied with my PS5 and my tv is 4k and 60fps so 8k and 120 was never even needed for me. And the way I understand 8k was for multimidia whenever it happens on streams or BD and 120fps is a mode for some games.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
UnderwaterFunktown said:

I can't say I really understand the takes defending the companies by saying it's marketing and pushing the blame unto gamers for expecting too much. Obviously it's good advice in general to be cautious of marketing speak, but it feels a little like saying that it's fine for companies to make misleading claims because you shouldn't believe them. Again not saying anybody outrighed lied in these cases, but I would consider some of the pre launch information misleading.

The very old it is the victim fault for being gullible, yes they shouldn't be dumb but that doesn't excuse the criminal.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Shaunodon said:
Leynos said:

Both Halo Infinite's big open-world campaign and multiplayer have locked 60fps for quality mode and a relatively smooth 120fps mode in performance (assuming they fixed VRR for campaign) with still decent resolution. Starfield is not Halo.

Are some people not able to grasp that different types of games will allocate the machine's resources differently to reach different goals for different gameplay experiences? Is that too much difference to think about? Do we not value variety, creativity or originality anymore, and instead prefer the industry to become even more homogenised?

Do you understand that when you claim something is a standard that is basically the minimum you shall expect right? And everything you deliver must be that or higher. Pick any ASTM, SAE, etc standard and look if you can deliver below the standard and keep your certification for long.

To this day, I still haven't seen any game that couldn't be done on PS4. And yet the PS5 is still flying from the shelves, so I guess that's just me.

Also, am I the only one who still hasn't found a PS5 in a store? Not just the empty box or being able to order it, an actual unit on sale. I keep hearing the hardware drought is long gone, and yet I haven't still seen one in the wild...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I might buy a Series X for the Perfect Dark reboot if MS doesn't screws it up... which it's something they are very likely to do

Other than that, perfectly fine with Switch gaming.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

Resolution/framerate don't bother me that much to be honest; 1080p is good enough for me, and I don't need every game to be 60fps.

What gets me is that in previous generations we had massive leaps in stuff like lighting, effects, level of detail, etc, but so far I look at PS5/XS games and they just... kinda look like the PC version of a PS4 game.