By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Starfield will be 30 fps on Xbox Series X and S.

https://www.ign.com/articles/bethesdas-todd-howard-confirms-starfield-performance-and-frame-rate-on-xbox-series-x-and-s

Maybe it was expected, but it's still dissapointing. It's a second Bethesda game that's 30 fps only after Redfall (who knows if 60 fps patch is even coming)

Around the Network

I was definitely hoping for 60 FPS on Series X.

I do not think it is a big deal tho, game offers so much content that it is kinda expected. There is nothing close to this and it requires a lot of background processing to make that kind of open game engine do what they do.

Will probably still be my game of the year. Zelda being close second (and 30 FPS too)

60fps is overrated, even though it's nice to have.

poor 30fps implementation sucks though. 

twintail said:

It's very fluid and easy on the eyes to move the camera etc.

Why is it overrated? Why don't they at least do 40 fps mode for 120 Hz TV's?

Todd even said the game can hit 60 fps sometimes but they locked it to 30 for consistency. 40 fps mode should be possible.

I would've liked 60FPS, but if they can at least give a locked solid 30FPS I'll manage lol

Around the Network

Unfortunate, was hoping it'd be 60 but not the end of the world.

Radek said:
twintail said:

Todd even said the game can hit 60 fps sometimes but they locked it to 30 for consistency. 40 fps mode should be possible.

Well yes, 60FPS is better but they just can't. They say that it is not consistent enough so it can go way below 40FPS some time probably.

Also it is better to go 30FPS, most TV are 60FPS, not 120HZ. That's why games are either 30, 60, or 120 (or sometimes 90) 

30FPS is really not a big deal, look at Zelda :) the DEV will enable 60FPS if it would be possible, it is simply not.

twintail said:

On FPS and other games that require extreme precision, no, 60 fps is a must have!

But it's kinda ok for starfield. I mean, most will likely play it as FPS, but it's SP only and likely easy as fu@#$. One can forgive 30fps is such a game, let's hope  for rock solid 30fps..

Imaginedvl said:
Radek said:

Well yes, 60FPS is better but they just can't. They say that it is not consistent enough so it can go way below 40FPS some time probably.

Also it is better to go 30FPS, most TV are 60FPS, not 120HZ. That's why games are either 30, 60, or 120 (or sometimes 90) 

30FPS is really not a big deal, look at Zelda :) the DEV will enable 60FPS if it would be possible, it is simply not.

Every single game that offers 40 fps mode also offers 30 fps mode for 60 Hz TV (since they are like 95% of all TV's)

Currently Sony is the only publisher that is offering this mode in pretty much every game

Last edited by Radek - on 11 June 2023

Radek said:
Imaginedvl said:

Every single game that offers 40 fps mode also offers 30 fps mode for 60 Hz TV (since they are like 95% of all TV's)

Currently Sony is the only publisher that is offering this mode in pretty much every game

To do so they want to lock it, if the game drops below 40FPS they do not want to have a 40FPS mode, it just makes sense...
The reason is probably the same than not offering 60 FPS in the first place...