By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NINTENDO should add a home console version for switch 2

Random_Matt said:

Orin is unlikely in my eyes, unless heavily cut down. $449 incoming I reckon, no thanks.

There are 6 variants of the Orin, from 60W TDP AGX variant all the way down to just 10W on the lowest Nano version.

The Orin NX and Nano variants should be using the same SoC, so a mix of both (8-core and 16GB RAM with higher memory clock speeds of the big NX with the lower CPU and GPU clock speeds of the Nano) would be very possible.

A such specced Switch successor should be able to more or less keep up with the Series S in docked mode.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 07 June 2023

Around the Network
zeldaring said:

I honestly don't see Nintendo going with anything cutting edge cause they never do.

By the time Switch 2 releases, Orin is likely not going to be "cutting edge" nor would Ampere (the architecture it is based on) be. Ampere released in October 2020, Orin in March of 2022. 

Say Switch 2 releases in March 2024. That would be with 2-3.5 year old technology depending on how you view it. Not too far off from the gap between Maxwell/Tegra X1 and the Switch. 

And Thor (lovelace-based Tegra) probably will be releasing around early 2025, as Atlan was canceled.

sc94597 said:
zeldaring said:

I honestly don't see Nintendo going with anything cutting edge cause they never do.

By the time Switch 2 releases, Orin is likely not going to be "cutting edge" nor would Ampere (the architecture it is based on) be. Ampere released in October 2020, Orin in March of 2022. 

Say Switch 2 releases in March 2024. That would be with 2-3.5 year old technology depending on how you view it. Not too far off from the gap between Maxwell/Tegra X1 and the Switch. 

And Thor (lovelace-based Tegra) probably will be releasing around early 2025, as Atlan was canceled.

It's gonna be interesting for sure but I heard rumors say they are looking to go with qualcomm 

zeldaring said:
Leynos said:

There are several versions of Orin. No it won't be using the Orin 12 CPU core 32GB of ram but likely would use anything in the 8core 8-16GB of ram range. We know the T239 exists and nothing uses it currently.

I doubt they go with nvda again. Nintendo only went with nvda cause Nintendo got a mind blowing deal on the switch chip set cause they were basically useless for nvda .  I honestly don't see Nintendo going with anything cutting edge cause they never do.

Nintendo is going Nvidia again.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
zeldaring said:

I doubt they go with nvda again. Nintendo only went with nvda cause Nintendo got a mind blowing deal on the switch chip set cause they were basically useless for nvda .  I honestly don't see Nintendo going with anything cutting edge cause they never do.

Nintendo is going Nvidia again.

https://wccftech.com/qualcomm-in-talks-with-nintendo-sony-for-portable-gaming-devices/

Around the Network

While every other source including the Nvidia employee is pointing at Nvidia T239 but you like to argue and change course to fit your constantly changing narrative. https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-Tegra-T239-New-leak-offers-clues-about-rumours-next-generation-Nintendo-Switch-chipset.654330.0.html

Not to mention Nintendo would kill the Switch 2 if they don't use Nvidia by keeping Switch 2 BC, which doesn't work in this day and age. Nintendo always keeps handhelds and since 2006 their consoles at least 1 generation BC.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I mean it would be great if true but I won't be surprised if they don't go with nvidia

zeldaring said:
Leynos said:

There are several versions of Orin. No it won't be using the Orin 12 CPU core 32GB of ram but likely would use anything in the 8core 8-16GB of ram range. We know the T239 exists and nothing uses it currently.

The thing is, for a mobile gaming SoC, NVidia is by far the easiest option.

Other mobile chips don't have GPUs that are directly compatible with the other PC and console counterparts (Though Samsung is getting AMD Radeon graphics in the future) while X86 chips are too power-hungry to get a handheld as light and long-running in handheld mode as the Switch, at least without major modification. For comparison, the Steam Deck and Ayaneo 2 both weight more than double what the Switch OLED does for somewhat worse battery life.

Leynos said:

While every other source including the Nvidia employee is pointing at Nvidia T239 but you like to argue and change course to fit your constantly changing narrative. https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-Tegra-T239-New-leak-offers-clues-about-rumours-next-generation-Nintendo-Switch-chipset.654330.0.html

Not to mention Nintendo would kill the Switch 2 if they don't use Nvidia by keeping Switch 2 BC, which doesn't work in this day and age. Nintendo always keeps handhelds and since 2006 their consoles at least 1 generation BC.

I'd argue that with today's hardware, it could be possible to emulate the CPU with an X86 CPU to provide backwards compatibility. But like I said, that would probably make any Switch successor too heavy for prolonged use.

Why? To re-enter highly competitive and historically lukewarm (for them) market, when they are absolutely dominating where they currently are?