By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Game developers are blown away by Tears of the Kingdom

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

Given how wildly popular both BOTW and now TOTK have been without cutting edge graphics but with a highly accomplished physics system as one of its key features, I don't think it's true that most only care for graphics.

People have cared about physics for decades. They were a selling point in tons of older games, from Crysis to Half Life 2.

So 4 games in decades of gaming, and crisis was not a huge success, half life did good but nothing amazing. BOTW main selling point was freedom/exporation and not physics.  TOTK is like the first real one but it's also riding botw massive success. Graphics are much bigger selling point.

The average person doesn't care that much about graphics. If they did then the gameboy, ds, 3ds, wii, switch, ps2 would have all bombed. Games like pokemon, minecraft, tetris etc would not be among the best sellers of all time.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

So 4 games in decades of gaming, and crisis was a huge success, half life did good but nothing amazing. BOTW main selling point was freedom/exporation and not physics.  TOTK is like the first real one but it's also riding botw massive success.

Okay we're done here. I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, but it's obvious you're only on this forum to stir up trouble and have no interest in being reasonable.

Whats unreasonable here? I'm just telling you the facts. every single developer is pushing graphics. almost every game coming out is pushing cutting edge graphics except for Nintendo. Name any game AAA game coming out in the next 3  years with advanced physics

pikashoe said:
zeldaring said:

So 4 games in decades of gaming, and crisis was not a huge success, half life did good but nothing amazing. BOTW main selling point was freedom/exporation and not physics.  TOTK is like the first real one but it's also riding botw massive success. Graphics are much bigger selling point.

The average person doesn't care that much about graphics. If they did then the gameboy, ds, 3ds, wii, switch, ps2 would have all bombed. Games like pokemon, minecraft, tetris etc would not be among the best sellers of all time.

Thats false. if the average person did not care about graphics then why is the whole industry focused on pushing graphics  except for Nintendo? Why even upgrade to ps5? PS2 was beast for it's time. The rest are handhelds. Every home console was powerful even in the wii the ps3/360 combined were 170 million. 

Last edited by zeldaring - on 31 May 2023

zeldaring said:
pikashoe said:

Thats false. if the average person did not care about graphics then why is the whole industry focused on pushing graphics  except for Nintendo? Why even upgrade to ps5? 

If the average person cares so much about graphics why is minecraft the best selling game of all time?why is gta v still consistently among the best selling games every year despite having outdated graphics by todays standards? Why was fortnite the most popular game of the last generation? Why is the switch the 3rd best selling console ever? Why is pokemon still one of the best selling franchises ever? Why does the most powerful console rarely ever sell the most in a generation? Why did the ds outsell the psp? Why did the 3ds outsell the vita? I see you talking about fromsoftware games a lot and graphics and performance on most of those games is generally not great.

pikashoe said:
zeldaring said:

Thats false. if the average person did not care about graphics then why is the whole industry focused on pushing graphics  except for Nintendo? Why even upgrade to ps5? 

If the average person cares so much about graphics why is minecraft the best selling game of all time?why is gta v still consistently among the best selling games every year despite having outdated graphics by todays standards? Why was fortnite the most popular game of the last generation? Why is the switch the 3rd best selling console ever? Why is pokemon still one of the best selling franchises ever? Why does the most powerful console rarely ever sell the most in a generation? Why did the ds outsell the psp? Why did the 3ds outsell the vita? I see you talking about fromsoftware games a lot and graphics and performance on most of those games is generally not great.

If a game is the next big thing it will sell regardless but graphics will always be a major selling point. you think if the next GTA looked like GTAV people would not complain and be disappointed? the first thing when a trailer is shown people talk about the graphics. The obvious proof that people are about graphics is ps5 is has the same exact games as ps4 and its selling great. The fact that the whole industry is pushing graphics means they know it's important.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
pikashoe said:

If a game is the next big thing it will sell regardless but graphics will always be a major selling point. you think if the next GTA looked like GTAV people would not complain and be disappointed? the first thing when a trailer is shown people talk about the graphics. the obvious proof that people are about graphics is ps5 is has the same exact games as ps4 selling great. The fact that the whole industry is pushing graphics means they know its important. 

Yeah it's a selling point mostly for enthusiasts and console fanboys, but we aren't talking about enthusiasts we're talking about the average person and the average person has proven time and time again that they don't care that much about graphical fidelity. And you have said absolutely nothing to refute anything I've said you just keep ignoring anything that doesn't fit your viewpoint and thats a consistent issue with you in every thread I've seen you post in.

pikashoe said:
zeldaring said:

If a game is the next big thing it will sell regardless but graphics will always be a major selling point. you think if the next GTA looked like GTAV people would not complain and be disappointed? the first thing when a trailer is shown people talk about the graphics. the obvious proof that people are about graphics is ps5 is has the same exact games as ps4 selling great. The fact that the whole industry is pushing graphics means they know its important. 

Yeah it's a selling point mostly for enthusiasts and console fanboys, but we aren't talking about enthusiasts we're talking about the average person and the average person has proven time and time again that they don't care that much about graphical fidelity. And you have said absolutely nothing to refute anything I've said you just keep ignoring anything that doesn't fit your viewpoint and thats a consistent issue with you in every thread I've seen you post in.

you have no clue to what you are talking about. explain why  is every single AAA developer pushing graphics if it doesn't matter? do they just love throwing money away? you name a few mega hits as your point and ignore everything else in the industry which is pushing graphics. anyway done with this. you are right every AAA developer is spending millions on pushing graphics as much as they can for nothing. i'm sure they don't what they are doing 

Anyway i was only stating that AAA developers are putting all there time in effort into graphics instead of physics which is facts. 

Last edited by zeldaring - on 31 May 2023

Someone here has never heard of Garry's Mod.

An user ignore button would be a QoL enhancement of this site.

zeldaring said:

you have no clue to what you are talking about. explain why  is every single AAA developer pushing graphics if it doesn't matter?

I think it is because it is comparably easy to do and even easier to show progress compared to gameplay. Anyone can look at two different game trailers and see what game have the best graphics. It is a lot harder to determine what game have the more enjoyable gameplay. You can lure new players with a beautiful presentation but you will keep them with engaging gameplay. 

Graphics does matter, but not for long especially since the tech is improving so fast. Games that look good today will look bad in a few years but games that play well today will most likely play good in a few years. There is always exceptions of course.