By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Unpopular opinion (on the internet): BotW and TotK's weapon durability feature is one of these games greatest mechanics

haxxiy said:

but slips down whenever it rains, which makes me think no one at Nintendo knows (most) rocks absorb little moisture and can be easily climbed when wet. But eeeh you can deal with it too.

Uh? Where you get that? Try to climb a rock when it's wet and you'll definitely get yourself in trouble, even walking past wet rocks can be extremely dangerous 

We reap what we sow

Around the Network

I also don't buy the argument that you need to FORCE your players to change the weapons. If the combat depth was satisfying enough I would change the weapons by myself, whenever I found fit

I have 4 different playtroughs in Elden Ring only for the sake of exploring different builds and see how I could learn to fight with different weaponry, and mind you it's an insanely hard game where weapon mastery is a need and change every  playing decision when you're exploring the overwold or beating a dungeon

What is nice is there I can star and finish the game with just upgraded versions of the same weapons, the game do not force me to relearn how to fight. It's me who likes to see how fun would be to test intelligence, faith, arcane or strength builds. If someone only wants to beat the game using a broadsword, they can. If they want to try knives, bows, lances, huge shields, they can. If they want to lurk at snipe enemies with magic, they can. And everything is up to the player

This is good design 

Sorry, its a bit semi-OT.
Generally speaken I like these kind of "Micro-Managements" in games, even though most people hate them.
The same goes for things in like Diablo 2 you have to buy keys, as there are locked treasure chests and buy arrows for the bow you are using and buy town portal scrolls and so on.
Even though I am absolutely not into Zelda and played BotW only like 3-4 hours or so, I really like weapons breaking. Maybe it was a bit too fast to be honest.^^
For me this makes games much more immersive or realistic.
So I find it very strange that you basically could climb like every wall and mountain. And now in TotK you even have this Ascend-Skill. I heavily dislike that.
But all in all it is of course just my personal preference.

Seems like it would be an awful system to me, one of the reasons why I skipped BOTW. It's one thing to have a weapon durability system in a game if the weapons actually last a long time before breaking and you can buy repair kits to take with you, like say Witcher 3, but having your weapon break every 10 swings or so is absolutely stupid imho.

I believe I heard that Tears of the Kingdom partially fixed this issue with it's weapon fusing system and infinite durability weapons you can find around the map, so I'm more likely to play Tears of the Kingdom eventually than BOTW, but I still think the base system needs tuning to make weapons last longer.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 18 May 2023

160rmf said:

haxxiy said:

Uh? Where you get that? Try to climb a rock when it's wet and you'll definitely get yourself in trouble, even walking past wet rocks can be extremely dangerous 

That's because flat surfaces will easily accumulate a layer of water that dramatically lowers esp. the rolling friction we are most used to when walking or driving. The problem exists when climbing but it's not as bad as you're thinking. Hand numbing from the cold is the worse issue.

I'm actually OK with the mechanic most of the time, I just wish there had been a readily-available elixir on BOTW that counteracted it or something. Since you can use them to walk naked in the snow already so why not.

Around the Network

Agree with the OP. For me I'm the kind of player who always saves my best consumable items and wind up getting to the end of the game realizing I never got to use any of the cool shit. In this game I stopped hoarding cause like in the real world nothing lasts forever.

I would generally prefer weapons that last forever, but it wouldn't have worked in this game. I think this was a fine way to handle it. Not something I'd want in ever game but context is key.

haxxiy said:
160rmf said:

That's because flat surfaces will easily accumulate a layer of water that dramatically lowers esp. the rolling friction we are most used to when walking or driving. The problem exists when climbing but it's not as bad as you're thinking. Hand numbing from the cold is the worse issue.

I'm actually OK with the mechanic most of the time, I just wish there had been a readily-available elixir on BOTW that counteracted it or something. Since you can use them to walk naked in the snow already so why not.

I see. Well, now they solved this problem in ToTK with the Sticky elixir 

We reap what we sow

It was/is a terrible mechanic. It made it impossible to experiment with my play style. I never used fast travel and didn't see the Korok dude until 80h into the game. With very limited inventory slots I could not afford to carry many different weapons along that were more effective in other zones or against particular enemies. So I basically ended up with a very limited general arsenal and started avoiding camps because it would just mean even less room for special weapons to carry along.

So I missed a lot of the cool combinations, wands, special status effect weapons, fun things to experiment with. No room as I was constantly cycling through weapons.

shikamaru317 said:

Seems like it would be an awful system to me, one of the reasons why I skipped BOTW. It's one thing to have a weapon durability system in a game if the weapons actually last a long time before breaking and you can buy repair kits to take with you, like say Witcher 3, but having your weapon break every 10 swings or so is absolutely stupid imho.

I believe I heard that Tears of the Kingdom partially fixed this issue with it's weapon fusing system and infinite durability weapons you can find around the map, so I'm more likely to play Tears of the Kingdom eventually than BOTW, but I still think the base system needs tuning to make weapons last longer.

Only few weapons like twiggs and bones and rusty weapons brake after less than 10 hits. Most proper weapons last much longer than that. It seems like you fell victim to the shitty exaggerations that some people like to do.

Hiku said:
Spindel said:

It's the limited ammo version of melee weapons

Not at all.
Running out of ammo doesn't permanently break your gun, does it?
The weapon may be temporarily unsuable, until you refill the ammo.

I like limited ammo in games like Resident Evil.
I don't want my Magnum to permanently break just because I reached 0 ammo with it though.

You can promote usage of a variety of weapons and strategies without permanently breaking them.

For example;
- Cause a temporary stat debuff on a weapon that you've used for a certain amount of consecutive attacks, which wears off once you have used another weapon for a certain amount of attacks.
- After using a weapon for a certain amount of attacks, buff (temporarily) another weapon in your inventory.
- Have the weapon be unsuable at 0 durability, but allow it to be repaird at some NPC later.
Etc, etc.

The problem with weapons permanently breaking for me and why I hate it, is because when I find some cool weapons, I don't want to waste them on some weak enemy, so I end up saving them for another time. Which ends up being never.
I have the exact same issue in every game with this kind of permanent weapon breakage system (like certain Fire Emblem games), and Megalixirs in Final Fantasy games. Gotta save them for a reallly tough boss. And then I see the end credits without ever using one.

That's just my personal preference, but I'm definitely not the only one.
The other day Moist Critical said the exact same thing about the weapons in BOTW/TOTK.

He ends up never using them.

The weapons aren't the guns. They're the bullets. Getting attached to a specific sword is like getting attached to a specific bullet in Resident Evil. You use them, you get new ones. They're there to be used, not hoarded.

The problem here is not the game design, it's that people are bringing the wrong playstyle and mentality to it.