By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - (Business Perspective) Does MS really need Xbox Hardware?

Tagged games:

EpicRandy said:
LurkerJ said:

I think people have an overly negative views on the current state of gaming scene. My games now cost less than they when I had the Sega Genesis. Competition has brought a lot to the scene, even the freemium model has some perks. I am not spending my money on in-game purchases yet the selection of games I want to play is only growing.

I don't disagree that there has been lots of mismanagement and poor decision making for decades, but you need to keep in mind that Microsoft sucks as a competitor in the consumers space, not just with consoles. Browsers, search engines, smartphones, headphones, laptops, app stores, smart watches, tablets and needless to add, consoles and gaming (lol). I wouldn't use MS as an example of how competition isn't good for the consumer because MS makes terrible third-grade products and has no idea how to compete in the consumer space without buying companies like ABK or coming up with subsidised business ideas like GP (which they seem to be walking away from).

I am not sure what to make of the unaddressed rumours as they seem to contradict each other, they don't seem to be existing the hardware business and only taking advantage of the current Xbox crisis like any true capitalist would. Wait and see for now.

Well I see you're not missing your opportunity to display your hatred of MS this has so many things wrong that's hard to even begin to explain but since it's a an obvious flaming attempt I'll let chatGTP do it for me 

Me : can you analyse this Statement : "you need to keep in mind that Microsoft sucks as a competitor in the consumers space, not just with consoles. Browsers, search engines, smartphones, headphones, laptops, app stores, smart watches, tablets and needless to add, consoles and gaming (lol). I wouldn't use MS as an example of how competition isn't good for the consumer because MS makes terrible third-grade products and has no idea how to compete in the consumer space without buying companies like ABK or coming up with subsidised business ideas like GP (which they seem to be walking away from)."

ChatGTP :

The statement presents a heavily biased and overly negative view of Microsoft's performance in the consumer space. Here are some points to consider regarding the inaccuracies and biases in the statement:

1. Generalization: The statement makes sweeping generalizations about Microsoft's performance across various consumer products without providing specific evidence or examples to support these claims. It fails to acknowledge Microsoft's successes in certain consumer markets and overlooks its strengths in enterprise and business-oriented products and services.

2. Lack of Context: The statement does not provide context or historical perspective on Microsoft's efforts in the consumer space. It fails to recognize Microsoft's significant contributions to technology and innovation, including the development of widely used products like Windows, Xbox, and Microsoft Office.

3. Selective Examples: The statement selectively highlights Microsoft's perceived failures in consumer products while ignoring its successes and areas where it has made significant investments and advancements, such as cloud computing (Azure), enterprise software, and productivity tools.

4. Omission of Positive Developments: It ignores recent positive developments and innovations from Microsoft, such as the Surface lineup of laptops and tablets, which have been well-received by consumers and critics alike.

5. Exaggeration and Bias: The statement's tone is excessively negative and biased, using derogatory language ("terrible third-grade products") without providing objective analysis or balanced viewpoints.

In summary, while it's fair to critique Microsoft's performance in specific consumer markets, the statement lacks nuance, balance, and factual evidence to support its sweeping conclusions about Microsoft's overall competitiveness and product quality in the consumer space.

Someone needs to feed ChatGPT the recent and the latest on the Surface continuous free fall, this is cute otherwise. 

Around the Network
Azzanation said:

1) GamePass needs to be on more devices, not just Xbox and Cloud which is still under developed. Example: GP on Switch. That will boost sales significantly.

Gamepass appeals to Microsoft/Mature gamers primarily.
On a Nintendo console, Nintendo games like Mario, Pokemon, Zelda are what sells... Not so much Microsoft I.P like Doom.

- Gamepass is on PC and has literally no traction or users at all... So it's a little bit of a lie to assume, just because it's available, that it will accrue users.

I have already provided evidence that contradicts your claims anyway.

Azzanation said:

2) Epic is no where near Steam to influence the industry. Stop acting like services like Epic and UPlay make a difference, they dont. They may try to compete but they are so far behind the marketleader it does not matter. Only thing these competing services do is moneyhat and try to divide the PC audiences. 

Epic has a massive influence on the industry.
It is literally the engine technology that underpins the vast majority of modern gaming.

And again... I don't know why i need to repeat things several times, but Steam isn't -just- in competition with PC store clients, it's in competition with Xbox, Switch, Playstation, Android, iOS and more. It doesn't live in a vacuum.

Epic Game Store has also taken marketshare in the PC marketplace.

Azzanation said:

3) I don't care what other industrys do. I am referring to the console industry which does not as much competition, it has enough with Sony and Nintendo. Most healthy industries are run by Duopolys. The console market isnt big enough for 3 competing platforms. Weather you agree to disagree, you are not changing my stance on that. History has proven time and time again, 3rd best selling platform exits.

Mate. The microchips that consoles are derived from are part of the console industry, you cannot exclude the literal technical underpinnings of console manufacturers because it contradicts your lie that competition doesn't result in price drops.

What kind of false logic and lies are you trying to push here? Start being honest and people will take you more seriously.
I have already provided evidence that contradicts you here anyway.

Console market has always had 3 competitors or more. Always. And it's been fine for half a century.

1st console generation: Magnavox, Atari and Coleco.
2nd console generation: Magnavox, Atari, Coleco, Intellivision.
3rd console generation: Nintendo, Sega, Atari.
4th console generation: Nintendo, Sega, Atari, NEC, SNK.
5th console generation: Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Atari, Panasonic (3do conglomerates of Panasonic, Sanyo, Creative, Goldstar).
6th console generation: Nintendo, Sega, Microsoft, Sony.
7th console generation: Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony.
8th console generation: Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony.
9th console generation: Microsoft, Sony and eventually Nintendo.

The 7th console generation was probably the best example of an evenly split generation with all manufacturers selling more than 70 million hardware units and every company was healthy.

The fact that the console marker has always had 3 or more entrants. (Granted, most were of limited success) showcases that it can support more than 3 companies.

Plus... With PC now encroaching on Nintendo's portable market, it's going to blur the lines even more between PC and consoles.

Azzanation said:

4) Cool story. Games can by made by ideas, funding and dreams. you dont need competition to make a video game.

Every product that sells to consumers is competing with another product.

You don't make money with just "ideas and dreams". - You actually need to compete, earning money isn't free or guaranteed.

Competition provides us with lower prices and more innovation, always has.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Azzanation said:

1) GamePass needs to be on more devices, not just Xbox and Cloud which is still under developed. Example: GP on Switch. That will boost sales significantly.

Gamepass appeals to Microsoft/Mature gamers primarily.
On a Nintendo console, Nintendo games like Mario, Pokemon, Zelda are what sells... Not so much Microsoft I.P like Doom.

- Gamepass is on PC and has literally no traction or users at all... So it's a little bit of a lie to assume, just because it's available, that it will accrue users.

Azzanation said:

2) Epic is no where near Steam to influence the industry. Stop acting like services like Epic and UPlay make a difference, they dont. They may try to compete but they are so far behind the marketleader it does not matter. Only thing these competing services do is moneyhat and try to divide the PC audiences. 

Epic has a massive influence on the industry.
It is literally the engine technology that underpins the vast majority of modern gaming.

And again... I don't know why i need to repeat things several times, but Steam isn't -just- in competition with PC store clients, it's in competition with Xbox, Switch, Playstation, Android, iOS and more. It doesn't live in a vacuum.

Epic Game Store has also taken marketshare in the PC marketplace.

Azzanation said:

3) I don't care what other industrys do. I am referring to the console industry which does not as much competition, it has enough with Sony and Nintendo. Most healthy industries are run by Duopolys. The console market isnt big enough for 3 competing platforms. Weather you agree to disagree, you are not changing my stance on that. History has proven time and time again, 3rd best selling platform exits.

Mate. The microchips that consoles are derived from are part of the console industry, you cannot exclude the literal technical underpinnings of console manufacturers because it contradicts your lie that competition doesn't result in price drops.

What kind of false logic and lies are you trying to push here? Start being honest and people will take you more seriously.
I have already provided evidence that contradicts you here anyway.

Console market has always had 3 competitors or more. Always. And it's been fine for half a century.

1st console generation: Magnavox, Atari and Coleco.
2nd console generation: Magnavox, Atari, Coleco, Intellivision.
3rd console generation: Nintendo, Sega, Atari.
4th console generation: Nintendo, Sega, Atari, NEC, SNK.
5th console generation: Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Atari, Panasonic (3do conglomerates of Panasonic, Sanyo, Creative, Goldstar).
6th console generation: Nintendo, Sega, Microsoft, Sony.
7th console generation: Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony.
8th console generation: Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony.
9th console generation: Microsoft, Sony and eventually Nintendo.

The 7th console generation was probably the best example of an evenly split generation with all manufacturers selling more than 70 million hardware units and every company was healthy.

The fact that the console marker has always had 3 or more entrants. (Granted, most were of limited success) showcases that it can support more than 3 companies.

Plus... With PC now encroaching on Nintendo's portable market, it's going to blur the lines even more between PC and consoles.

Azzanation said:

4) Cool story. Games can by made by ideas, funding and dreams. you dont need competition to make a video game.

Every product that sells to consumers is competing with another product.

You don't make money with just "ideas and dreams". - You actually need to compete, earning money isn't free or guaranteed.

Competition provides us with lower prices and more innovation, always has.

1) GamePass also needs more content. The potential is limitless, depends on the content it offers now, and what it offers in the future, it can drastically change. Games like Indiana Jones and CoD etc. Currently the content is okay but not enough to wow people yet, plus, like digital in the past, people are not fully ready to rely on a digital rental service, it will take time. Remember this space. 

2) And here I am repeating myself to you, multiple times.

For starters, Epic's engine has nothing to do with this conversation, don't try to spin this.

Secondly, Steam on PC has a gigantic marketshare over Epic. Epics small gain means little to nothing to the industry. If Epic vanished tomorrow, nothing will change. Hence my entire point.  

Thirdly, you have only proven my point, the 3rd console maker doesn't last, it's always been between 2, your list shows how consistent 2 stay and 1 leaves. That means the console industry isnt big enough to sustain 3 major players. 

3) I am not talking about Microchips, the fact that Competition isn't keeping console prices down shows its doing nothing. Also to debunk your take is Software sales have also gone up, how did your microchip example resolve that? It doesn't. Competition isn't the reason prices stay low, it's the consumers who speak with their wallets. Gaming is optional, not a necessary, people aren't forced to buy overpriced hardware and games. You are treating this like its food, that you have no choice but to accept and eat what these corps release. All 3 players have learnt this the hard way.

4) You don't need competition to make a video game, I could invest tomorrow with an Indy dev to make a video game. Competition isn't needed for that, and you know that's true.  

Just remember, it was competition that gave us an online paywall, ironically Steam doesn't and that's no coincidence. These companies talk to eachother, you know that right? They talk about raising prices together and if they all follow, they all get away with it, because it makes them more money and pleases the shareholders. 

End of the day, if Xbox walks out tomorrow, nothing changes, Sony will still raise their prices regardless if Xbox competes.  

Last edited by Azzanation - on 07 February 2024

Azzanation said:

1) GamePass also needs more content. The potential is limitless, depends on the content it offers now, and what it offers in the future, it can drastically change. Games like Indiana Jones and CoD etc. Currently the content is okay but not enough to wow people yet, plus, like digital in the past, people are not fully ready to rely on a digital rental service, it will take time. Remember this space. 

But content also gets taken away.

Like I alluded to before... (AND I PROVIDED EVIDENCE) Due to inflation households are CUTTING services. Not adding them.

Azzanation said:

2) And here I am repeating myself to you, multiple times.

For starters, Epic's engine has nothing to do with this conversation, don't try to spin this.

Secondly, Steam on PC has a gigantic marketshare over Epic. Epics small gain means little to nothing to the industry. If Epic vanished tomorrow, nothing will change. Hence my entire point.  

Thirdly, you have only proven my point, the 3rd console maker doesn't last, it's always been between 2, your list shows how consistent 2 stay and 1 leaves. That means the console industry isnt big enough to sustain 3 major players. 

The difference between you and me is... You have only provided opinions.

I have provided evidence.

Meaning... I have the high ground and we can discard your position as false.

Azzanation said:

3) I am not talking about Microchips, the fact that Competition isn't keeping console prices down shows its doing nothing. Also to debunk your take is Software sales have also gone up, how did your microchip example resolve that? It doesn't. Competition isn't the reason prices stay low, it's the consumers who speak with their wallets. Gaming is optional, not a necessary, people aren't forced to buy overpriced hardware and games. You are treating this like its food, that you have no choice but to accept and eat what these corps release. All 3 players have learnt this the hard way.

Why are you being so obstinate?

Microchips are the *exact* reason WHY the consoles have raised in price.

Which flows onto the "competition" argument.

You NEED to stop propagating LIES to drive your false narrative.

I have already provided evidence for all this, so again... Stop lying.
Competition is the reason why prices stay low.

Azzanation said:

4) You don't need competition to make a video game, I could invest tomorrow with an Indy dev to make a video game. Competition isn't needed for that, and you know that's true.  

Yes you do need competition to make a "good" video game.

Developers trial new ideas and concepts constantly, they release that into the marketplace, competition dictates whether those ideas and concepts are viable and good.

Azzanation said:

Just remember, it was competition that gave us an online paywall, ironically Steam doesn't and that's no coincidence. These companies talk to eachother, you know that right? They talk about raising prices together and if they all follow, they all get away with it, because it makes them more money and pleases the shareholders. 

End of the day, if Xbox walks out tomorrow, nothing changes, Sony will still raise their prices regardless if Xbox competes.  

Again... Steam competes with consoles.

That is not a coincidence.

Checkmate.

Do you have this thing called "evidence" to substantiate your potential LIE that Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo are price-colluding? Because that is actually illegal and you could take them to court and walk away as a very rich person... I already know the answer to that.
It's a "no".

So my best piece of advice is don't propagate lies, conspiracies and false information if you have zero empirical evidence to back it up.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

LurkerJ said:
EpicRandy said:

Well I see you're not missing your opportunity to display your hatred of MS this has so many things wrong that's hard to even begin to explain but since it's a an obvious flaming attempt I'll let chatGTP do it for me 

Me : can you analyse this Statement : "you need to keep in mind that Microsoft sucks as a competitor in the consumers space, not just with consoles. Browsers, search engines, smartphones, headphones, laptops, app stores, smart watches, tablets and needless to add, consoles and gaming (lol). I wouldn't use MS as an example of how competition isn't good for the consumer because MS makes terrible third-grade products and has no idea how to compete in the consumer space without buying companies like ABK or coming up with subsidised business ideas like GP (which they seem to be walking away from)."

ChatGTP :

The statement presents a heavily biased and overly negative view of Microsoft's performance in the consumer space. Here are some points to consider regarding the inaccuracies and biases in the statement:

1. Generalization: The statement makes sweeping generalizations about Microsoft's performance across various consumer products without providing specific evidence or examples to support these claims. It fails to acknowledge Microsoft's successes in certain consumer markets and overlooks its strengths in enterprise and business-oriented products and services.

2. Lack of Context: The statement does not provide context or historical perspective on Microsoft's efforts in the consumer space. It fails to recognize Microsoft's significant contributions to technology and innovation, including the development of widely used products like Windows, Xbox, and Microsoft Office.

3. Selective Examples: The statement selectively highlights Microsoft's perceived failures in consumer products while ignoring its successes and areas where it has made significant investments and advancements, such as cloud computing (Azure), enterprise software, and productivity tools.

4. Omission of Positive Developments: It ignores recent positive developments and innovations from Microsoft, such as the Surface lineup of laptops and tablets, which have been well-received by consumers and critics alike.

5. Exaggeration and Bias: The statement's tone is excessively negative and biased, using derogatory language ("terrible third-grade products") without providing objective analysis or balanced viewpoints.

In summary, while it's fair to critique Microsoft's performance in specific consumer markets, the statement lacks nuance, balance, and factual evidence to support its sweeping conclusions about Microsoft's overall competitiveness and product quality in the consumer space.

Someone needs to feed ChatGPT the recent and the latest on the Surface continuous free fall, this is cute otherwise. 

Cute... Lol, you're the one who's attempting "ChatGTP must be out of date" to blame for your so obvious bias exposure and try to prove your point with a statement that end up prooving it right lol 

lacks nuance, balance, and factual evidence to support its sweeping conclusions:

What your link shows: Surface lineup has been growing almost continually for 9 years in a row and only stagnated 1 year in 2017 all the while taking a $2b/year business to a peak $7B one. Proving MS can and does make great and well-appreciated products

what you say: Last year it dropped so it is and has been a third-grade product all along. 

Around the Network

The most troubling thing here is they didn't exactly deny the rumors. I get it that they don't want to reveal plans. But to let these rumors hang and float around isn't exactly helping them here

Coming into this thread was like:

OT - I don't think MS will pull a Sega-style exit just yet. More likely it'll be like Netflix where they slowly phased out their renting DVDs business and went full streaming.

Meanwhile ,there are multiple next-generation Xbox rumors now.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Yes, and it's not contradictory IMO. 

Xbox deciding to go multiplate or not does not impact the fact that there's a market for under-the-TV and/or handheld devices facilitating couch/anywhere play and does not remove the ability for MS to tap that market.

What it does however is make the subsidized closed hardware with exclusive play strategy a nonviable one because this approach requires mass appeal and high volumes. 

Right now a new console market is appearing that of open platform PC handheld and there is a throve of new players in that market. Why because this market :

• does not use a subsidized strategy (they are priced for profit)
  • does not require or use exclusivity
  • can be profitable with much less units sold.

So one way both rumors can be true at the same time is simply with MS opening up Xbox Os/hardware either for future hardware or both current and future.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Actually great news. This is the best approach for Microsoft. I think if they keep exclusives on  system for 1 year of even 6 months is good enough. The problem with the xbox is really just they aren't making any big hits. sony releasing exlusives on PC hasn't effected playstation sales at all.