By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 38.4 Million Units as of March 2023, Sets Video Game Record for March Quarter

Link to the VGChartz article here.

PS5 Ships 38.4 Million Units as of March 2023

Sony Interactive Entertainment in its financial results announced it has shipped 38.4 million PlayStation 5 consoles as of March 31, 2023.

With 38.4 million PlayStation 5 consoles shipped through the end of March that means 6.3 million units were shipped from January to March. This is up 4.3 million from the same quarter in 2022. This is also a record for any video game console for the January to March quarter.

Sony was able beat its forecast of 19 million PS5 consoles shipped for the 2022 fiscal year by shipping 19.1 million units.

For reference, the PlayStation 4 had shipped 2.4 million units in the same quarter for a lifetime total of 40.2 million units shipped as of March 31, 2016. This puts the PS5 behind shipped PS4 units by 1.8 million units.

There were a total of 68.0 million games sold on the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 for the quarter. This is down 2.5 million from 70.5 million during the same period a year earlier. Digital sales accounted for 70 percent of software sales.

There were 9.5 million first-party games sold across the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4. This is down 5.0 million from 14.5 million first-party games sold a year ago.

The number of PlayStation Plus subscribers is at 47.4 million, which is the same as a year ago. There were 108 million monthly active users, an increase of 2 million from 106 million a year ago.

Sony's Game & Network Services Segment for the quarter ending March 31, 2023, reported revenue increased 407.95 billion yen ($3.02 billion) year-over-year to 1,073.20 billion yen ($7.94 billion), while operating income decreased 48.39 billion yen ($0.36 billion) to 38.86 billion yen ($0.29 billion).

Sony's forecast for the Game & Network Services Segment for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2024 are expected to increase year-on-year due to an increase in sales of hardware and peripheral devices, which will partially be offset by foreign exchange rates.

Sony has forecasted it will ship 25 million PS5 consoles during the fiscal year ending March 31, 2024. This would be a new record for PlayStation consoles. If Sony is able to hit its forecast it would being PS5 shipment figures to 63.4 million units at the end of March 2024. This would be 3.2 million above the 60.2 million PS4s shipped after the same amount of time.

"Sales are expected to increase year-on-year mainly due to an expected increase in sales of hardware and peripheral devices, partially offset primarily by the impact of foreign exchange rates," reads the report from Sony.

"Operating income and Adjusted OIBDA are expected to increase year-on-year mainly due to an expected improvement in hardware profitability and the positive impact of foreign exchange rates reflecting the high ratio of U.S. dollar denominated costs, in addition to the impact of the above-mentioned expected increase in sales of peripheral devices. These increases are expected to be partially offset primarily by an expected increase in costs and the impact of an expected decrease in sales of first-party titles."

Last edited by trunkswd - on 28 April 2023

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Ethomaz.

Where are you?

I want to add the gap between shipped and sold was 2.1 million at the end of December, according to Sony. A gap being a bit bigger now wouldn't be a surprise with Sony shipping 2 million or more PS5s per month, it taking several weeks to ship the consoles around the world, the PS5 now being available at many retailers, and even some discounts on the God of War bundle this month.

I did adjust up our PS5 estimates from 35.8M to 35.94M units for a gap of 2.46M between Shipped and sold. 

Last edited by trunkswd - on 28 April 2023

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Forecast for FY2023 is 25 million PS5’s.

kazuyamishima said:

Forecast for FY2023 is 25 million PS5’s.

A bit conservative, so I guess supply won't be perfect. Still, for a big bulky $500 console, it is pretty good.

Around the Network

Considering how much problems they had early on, makeing the PS5s in large quantities, this is a huge come back!
They are catching up to the PS4 soon, and going past it, in launch aligned sales since launch.

PS5 has been selling really well, last few months, and its likely to keep going forwards the same (heavy hitters comeing).

*edit:
Forcast for next year is appearntly over 25m units.
If that holds true, it will be ahead of the PS4 launch-aligned (by like 3,2m units? or so).

Next year this time, it should be over 63,4m.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 28 April 2023

Absolutely gigantic quarter, PS5 made up 3.9 million on PS4 and only trails by 1.8 million launched aligned. Sony forecast a massive 25 million for the current FY which is 5 million more than PS4's FY 2016/17 so they expect PS5 to be around 3 million above PS4 by this time next year.

PS5 had the best FY2 of any Playstation console and if they can hit their target in FY3 it will be another record for a Playstation console and will only be behind DS which shipped 30.31 million in FY3.

* Q4 remaining, forecast to ship 18 million
Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 28 April 2023

That means curl won that bet with liquidlaser about PS5 and Xbox Series X|S combined selling more than 56 million by the end of 2023. 

Biggest Q1 hardware sales of any console, in history.
Dang.

Biggest Q4 (Jan to Mar) quarter ever beating the 5.81 million set by DS in 2008.

All quarterly data up to FY9 from high selling consoles, taken from Nintendo and Sony's financial reports.

Note: The FY8, FY9 and lifetime total for PSP are not official, they are estimations

Launch aligned quarterly sales from 100 million selling consoles

Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 28 April 2023