By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega Nears Deal For ‘Angry Birds’ Mobile Game Maker

CaptainExplosion said:

Yeah, why? What could Sega gain from this? I didn't think Angry Birds was as big as it used to be.

IP ownership.

They can still make money from existing copies/versions of the game and still make money from any expansion of the IP to stuff like TV shows, movies, etc.

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
the-pi-guy said:

and then you hear about some random mobile developer no one on gaming forums seems to have ever heard of getting sold for a $1 billion or something. 

We all know who Rovio is, but it would be lile buying MySpace, who even play Angry Birds anymore ? They past their prime a very long time ago

I don't know about the popularity of Angry Birds at this point, but the revenue chart @the-pi-guy posted seems to indicate that Rovio is definitely not comparable to MySpace. If anything, it seems they're at their prime, despite the perceived lack of visibility.

Zkuq said:
SKMBlake said:

We all know who Rovio is, but it would be lile buying MySpace, who even play Angry Birds anymore ? They past their prime a very long time ago

I don't know about the popularity of Angry Birds at this point, but the revenue chart @the-pi-guy posted seems to indicate that Rovio is definitely not comparable to MySpace. If anything, it seems they're at their prime, despite the perceived lack of visibility.

There are people here who remember MySpace?

Confirmed: The Red Bird will be a Persona in P6.

Speaking of which, this is a little over seven times what Sega paid to acquire Atlus ten years ago. 

SanAndreasX said:

Confirmed: The Red Bird will be a Persona in P6.

Speaking of which, this is a little over seven times what Sega paid to acquire Atlus ten years ago. 

Yet Atlus puts out 7 quadrillion times the quality.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Yeah, why? What could Sega gain from this? I didn't think Angry Birds was as big as it used to be.

IP ownership.

They can still make money from existing copies/versions of the game and still make money from any expansion of the IP to stuff like TV shows, movies, etc.

They already did that

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Angry_Birds_Movie#:~:text=The%20Angry%20Birds%20Movie%20(also,distributed%20by%20Sony%20Pictures%20Releasing.

Grossed 352 million $

CaptainExplosion said:
Zkuq said:

Justin Timberlake probably

Zkuq said:
SKMBlake said:

Well their net income (which is the most important aspect) aren't that faboulous https://www.statista.com/statistics/1249218/rovio-annual-net-income/ and def not worth 1 billion from my perspective, but I don't work for Sega

CaptainExplosion said:
Zkuq said:

I remember Friendster and Napster.  Google Video. Ebaums world.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
CaptainExplosion said:

I remember Friendster and Napster.  Google Video. Ebaums world.

Oh I recall Google video too