By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega Nears Deal For ‘Angry Birds’ Mobile Game Maker

SKMBlake said:
Zkuq said:

I don't know about the popularity of Angry Birds at this point, but the revenue chart @the-pi-guy posted seems to indicate that Rovio is definitely not comparable to MySpace. If anything, it seems they're at their prime, despite the perceived lack of visibility.

Well their net income (which is the most important aspect) aren't that faboulous https://www.statista.com/statistics/1249218/rovio-annual-net-income/ and def not worth 1 billion from my perspective, but I don't work for Sega

Yeah, revenue definitely isn't a perfect meter. I'm not an expert, but I do agree that net income isn't looking that great, possibly even not worth the price. Of course net income isn't the only thing Sega would get: there's things like skilled personnel as well, and probably many other factors too. I don't know how much sense this acquisition makes, but I don't think it seems as bad as some have suggested in this thread either.

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:

They already did that

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Angry_Birds_Movie#:~:text=The%20Angry%20Birds%20Movie%20(also,distributed%20by%20Sony%20Pictures%20Releasing.

Grossed 352 million $

I mean make more obviously.

SKMBlake said:
Zkuq said:

I don't know about the popularity of Angry Birds at this point, but the revenue chart @the-pi-guy posted seems to indicate that Rovio is definitely not comparable to MySpace. If anything, it seems they're at their prime, despite the perceived lack of visibility.

Well their net income (which is the most important aspect) aren't that faboulous https://www.statista.com/statistics/1249218/rovio-annual-net-income/ and def not worth 1 billion from my perspective, but I don't work for Sega

It might be a little high, but:

Taking the last year 23,000,000 Euro equals 25,535,750.00. So say 39 years, before breaking even. 
Compare that to Activision. $69 billion, at say 2.3 billion net income. So say 30 years before breaking even. If you just took Activision's last year at 1.5 billion, that would around 46 years before breaking even.  
I would say a billion for Rovio Entertainment is on the same scale of being a good deal as Activision being worth $69 billion.

pikashoe said:

This is huge, it's going to destabilise the industry and cause a sega monoply, it must be stopped.

I was going to advise writing to your senator but since its a Finnish company  with Scandinavian studios and a Japanese company buying it it could get complicated.

Forget the above I remember that Sega was started in Japan by some American dude so  tell your Senator that Sega needs to be returned back  into American hands.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
pikashoe said:

This is huge, it's going to destabilise the industry and cause a sega monoply, it must be stopped.

Imagine when Sega does buy Angry Birds though:

For real though, it's weird seeing these game publishers trying to snatch up mobile apps and mobile studios (almost as if they think we're not profitable for them these days).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I don't really understand this decision, but hey Microsoft or SA can buy them when they get into financial troubles.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

775 million is a lot better than the rumored billion dollar purchase point. I still don't think it's a good purchase, hopefully Sega has some great plans for the franchise and crossovers.

Chicho said:

This is deeply offensive and yet likely.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!