By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - March 2023 VGChartz Estimates Thread - Worldwide Estimates Out Now

Zippy6 said:
ShadowLink93 said:

So FY 4th Quarter sales estimates by Vgchartz are

PS5: 5.40 million
NSW: 3.21 million
XBS: 1.52 million

If the numbers are accurate which they usually are then astronomically high for PS5, very good for Switch and an absolute disaster for Xbox Series.

5.28m for PS5 I think, but yeah still very very high sales. The 6.2m shipments they forecast is obtainable, that would be 920k more shipped than sold-through. Though still a bit strange to ship more than sold when there was already around 2m gap between sell-through and shipments at the end of december iirc.

Shipments above 6.08m would be a new record, the highest amount shipped by any console in FYQ4. Currently held by the PS2.

The record for Q4 is DS with 5.81 million shipped, that PS2 number of 6.08 million is production numbers and not shipped (sold-in). Sony only started using sold-in numbers from 2006 onwards.

Around the Network

trunkswd said:
CosmicSex said:

J believe it was reported that the PS5 has passed aligned sales of PS4 already in NA (according to the Artist formally known as NPD).  It has also done so in Japan.  Sony's FY end reports will be very interesting for sure.

PS5 is ahead of PS4 in the Americas and Japan. But it is still behind by a decent amount in Europe. When there were the shortages Sony put far more focus on shipping PS5s to the US then Europe. 

I'm actually wondering will it catch up. 

A 5 million lead in Americas now. Which is pretty huge. 

Strange, as Europe has been Sony's strongest market for a while. 

Selling more than combined sales of Switch and Xbox Series is no small feat.

It seems that the system will sell more than 20m units this year, how much more than that is a mystery atm.

Dallinor said:

trunkswd said:

PS5 is ahead of PS4 in the Americas and Japan. But it is still behind by a decent amount in Europe. When there were the shortages Sony put far more focus on shipping PS5s to the US then Europe. 

Sony probably figured they have Europe locked down and didn't need to worry losing much marketshare to Xbox. While in the US the the Xbox 360 sold FAR more than the PS3, and the Xbox One was only 5 or so million behind the PS4. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
Dallinor said:

Sony probably figured they have Europe locked down and didn't need to worry losing much marketshare to Xbox. While in the US the the Xbox 360 sold FAR more than the PS3, and the Xbox One was only 5 or so million behind the PS4. 

Actually it probably has more to do with the dollar than anything else.  The USD surged during covid.  This mean than Sony could make more money off of US sales than European sales.  

Around the Network

Link to VGChartz article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch 2023 Worldwide Sales Comparison Charts Through March

Here we see data representing the sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the three current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch) and two legacy platforms (PlayStation 4 and Xbox One) over comparable periods for 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023. Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2020 – (January 2020 to March 2020)

2021 – (January 2021 to March 2021)

2022 – (January 2022 to March 2022)

2023 – (January 2023 to March 2023)

"Year to date" sales for 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2023 versus 2022 and 2023 versus 2021 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

• Xbox Series X|S
    • 1.52 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 506,620 units (-25.0%)

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch
    • 3.21 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 1,084,711 units (-25.3%)

Sony

• PlayStation 5
    • 5.28 million units sold year-to-date
    • Up year-on-year 3,468,189 units (191.1%)
  • PlayStation 4
    • 0.05 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 84,646 (-62.1%)

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Xbox 2022 sales were amazing in comparison

SKMBlake said:

Xbox 2022 sales were amazing in comparison

Xbox 2022 hardware sales were on track to be the best year for Xbox since the Xbox 360 days. Then sales were not great during the holidays. Starfield being delayed hurt Xbox sales last year. Hopefully Starfield helps boost Xbox sales this year. It is the real test what a big AAA game not named Halo, Gears or Forza can do for Xbox. 

IMO it would have been smart for Xbox to have delayed Gears 5 from 2019 to 2020 to be a launch game for the Xbox Series X|S, have Forza Horizon 5 still launch at the same time in 2021, then delay Halo Infinite another year. So there would have been at least one big exclusive for Xbox last year. Halo Infinite was fairly decent at launch, but the lack of content for the multiplayer side of things really hurt it. 

Link to VGChartz article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Month 29

This monthly series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch.

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

1. Switch: 36,250,044
  2. PS5: 35,804,643
  3. XSX|S: 21,351,543

Through the first 29 months available worldwide the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 0.45 million units units and is 14.90 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 14.45 million units.

The Switch has sold 36.25 million in 29 months worldwide, while the PS5 sold 35.80 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 21.35 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 29 months, the Switch is in the lead. The Switch has a 38.8 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 38.3 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 22.9 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

1. PS5: 13,632,464
  2. Switch: 12,522,147
  3. XSX|S: 10,445,738

Through the first 29 months available in the US the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 1.11 million units and is 3.19 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 2.08 million units.

The PS5 has sold 13.63 million in 29 months in the US, while the Switch sold 12.52 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 10.45 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 29 months, the PS5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 37.3 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 34.2 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 28.5 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe:

1. PS5: 10,927,702
  2. Switch: 9,351,421
  3. XSX|S: 5,741,588

Through the first 29 months available in Europe the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 1.58 million units and is 5.19 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 3.61 million units.

The PS5 has sold 10.93 million in 29 months in Europe, while the Switch sold 9.35 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 5.74 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 29 months, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 42.0 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 35.9 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 22.1 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:

1. Switch: 8,669,433
  2. PS5: 3,237,213
  3. XSX|S: 438,118

Through the first 29 months available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 5.43 million units and is 8.23 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 2.80 million units.

The Switch has sold 8.67 million units in 29 months in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 3.24 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.44 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 29 months, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 70.2 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 26.2 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 3.6 percent.

It also looks very likely that PS5 will have the highest 2nd full fiscal year of any Playstation console ever, it needs 5.3 million to beat PS2's 18.07 million. The only console's to have a higher 2nd full fiscal year are DS and Wii.

*Q4 remaining, forecast to ship 19.00 million