By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Movie Breaking Records; 5 Day Opening Weekend Set To Beat Frozen 2

mZuzek said:
CaptainExplosion said:

It'd need to be at least half an hour longer than the Mario movie, and it might be difficult to sell to kids considering how much darker it'll be too. Sure the Mario movie got surprisingly dark at times, but not to the point that it had anything as gruesome as this.

I mean, Ocarina of Time still sold to kids. Kids don't mind darker things in their movies, the problem is actually with the parents who think they do.

Anyway. Can't wait to see Link riding into Ganon's Castle to the sound of Holding Out For a Hero.

Sarcasm aside, the only 80s song I can think of that'd fit Link charging in to fight Ganon would be Princes of The Universe by Queen. Yes I know Link isn't a prince and will most likely not be one in the movie, but it fits considering it's from another movie about two sword wielding adversaries leading to a vicious final battle between them.

Around the Network

I think Zelda will go with a CG art style maybe a bit stylized like Puss In Boots (another Universal film), but still "looking" CGI with a touch of Studio Ghibli like Japanese influence. Lots of beautiful "nature" shots.

My other guess would be the film could start with Link as a child and then age him up. I also think something darker in tone than Harry Potter, but not quite as dark as the Lord of the Rings movies.

Just as Mario is heavily inspired by the games, I think you will see heavy influences from Ocarina of Time, Link to the Past, and especially BOTW/TOTK.

Went to the cinema yesterday to watch it and enjoyed it a lot. Really fun movie. We mustn't take for granted the fact that it could've been horrible yet it actually turned out to be very good.

Hopefully the Nintendo Cinematic Universe finds success with plenty of adaptations like this that understand the source material while adapting it to movie format appropiately.

I’d watch it. But I want my experience to be superior! Unfortunately, a Japanese dub with translation subtitles isn’t available.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I'm going tomorrow. From what I'm reading (also, thanks for the write-up @Jaicee), I'll have fun.

Around the Network

The great thing about the potential for making Zelda movies is that they could make all kinds of different ones. Mario is pretty much stuck in kids animation movies, it would be silly to leave that territory. But Zelda could have everything from light hearted animation kids movies to live action for the whole family to darker themed live action for adults. I can't help thinking about them making LotR-style Zelda movies - live action, with dark themes but a lighter side so it is watchable by all ages except like toddlers. Live action fantasy movies are huge in the market and Zelda could totally be a billion-dollar-movie property with several movies like LotR if they are done extremely well.

Also thinking the way Disney has expanded Star Wars from movies into lots of live action spin-off shows or mini-series. I could see a Princess Zelda show. I could also see a Metroid show in addition to a Metroid movie or two.

Hopefully in like a decade we'll have gotten another animated Mario movie, a trilogy of Zelda live-actions, a Metroid live-action, a DK animated, a Kirby animated, a Star Fox animated movie. And maybe even a Smash Bros movie by then, setting the stage to expand into other Nintendo IP. Plus at least a couple cool shows, Princess Zelda live-action where she does stuff as Sheik and that really explores the Hyrule Kingdom would probably be the coolest.

Now that the Mario movie has been confirmed as a success, we need the Mario Kart movie with Pedro Pascal.

Zelda and Metroid are like the only Nintendo franchises I see that can provide fan service while also having great deep stories/universes.

The Mario movie was pretty shallow in terms of story and unless they get new writers or change their approach I don't see that franchise standing up to the likes of MCU.

$20+ million on Monday, $15.5 million on Tuesday even with kids back in school ... this movie is a monster.

It's going to outgross every MCU movie post-Spider-Man and probably has a fair shot at outgrossing every DCU movie and it's going outgross every Toy Story and Shrek movie.

The only Disney animated movies that it probably won't catch are Frozen 1/2 and Incredibles 2 (in Disney's entire history).

It will overtake Warcraft's take tomorrow and become the highest grossing video game movie ever in just one week of release with no Japan and South Korea either. 

This is Nintendo's first real internal attempt at a movie, lol. Bonkers. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 12 April 2023

I'd still like to see Illumination try to make a darker movie, even if it's still for kids.