By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 13, 2023 (Mar 20 - Mar 26)

Wyrdness said:

I know RE has never been as popular in Japan but I expected it to do a lot better than that. 

I'm pretty sure it's the opposite. Biohazard (RE) was very popular in Japan at first and secured half the copies sold WW. Then gradually gained popularity elsewhere while popularity in Japan didn't change, perhaps even decreased. It's similar to Monster Hunter in a way. Biohazard is considered one of the top gaming franchise in Japan excluding Nintendo ones.

Last edited by Shatts - on 31 March 2023

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:

I know RE has never been as popular in Japan but I expected it to do a lot better than that. 

No you don't know. Several previous Resident Evil games were million sellers in Japan.

Top 30 software added to OP

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

Last month I made the prediction that by this time the weekly numbers would be at least halved, and it looks like I was spot on.

I really think people overestimated PS5s demand because of how supply constrained it was. When supply is constrained it artificially increases demand for a time, but it's not a sustainable model (which is why no manufacturer would use it as a long term business tactic for a major console). The numbers I'm seeing right now look much more sustainable. I still expect the numbers to fall a bit more overall in time (with some weekly outliers due to game releases). Not sure what the weekly average will end up being, though. Could very well stay above PS4's.

Pinkie_pie said:
RolStoppable said:

RE4 gave the PS5 a nice boost. I am not being sarcastic.

It should be clear to everyone that these 90k weeks we've seen before weren't just for gamers in Japan, and combined with Sony's shipment target of 6.2m worldwide for the current quarter, it was only a matter of time until stock was more evenly distributed across all countries, making it less necessary to import from Japan. Pretty soon we should arrive at the point where the PS5 sells according to its actual demand in Japan.

The PS4's baseline during its best times was 25-30k when it saw a continued stream of new game releases, so it stands to reason that the PS5 will have a hard time to settle above that. In the most recent weeks we've seen drops from 90k to 75k to 65k to 40k and now it managed to hold on to 40k for a second week. RE4 can be given credit for this.

Lastly, we are approaching Japan's worst month of sales: May. Before that, there's Golden Week in April, but what used to be a notable boost for all hardware barely moves the needle nowadays. The point is, there's no need to worry too much about lower sales in the upcoming weeks, because low sales are pretty normal for that time of the year.

I wouldn't say nice boost. Probably a tiny boost. The game is also on PS4 so I don't think they are buying a PS5 jyst for resident evil 4 when they could play it on the PS4. We shall see the baseline next week but FF16 will give PS5 a nice boost.  Most likelt over 100k 

People will have bought a PS5 just for RE4. Many won't even know it's on PS4 and others will want a higher quality experience.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
Wyrdness said:

No you don't know. Several previous Resident Evil games were million sellers in Japan.

Being million sellers doesn't equal being as popular for example monster hunter has had million sellers in the west but until World and Rise it was more popular in Japan. The fact that prior RE games were million sellers highlights my point to begin with in expecting a higher launch week at retail. 

Atelier Ryza seem to have remained healthy in sales on Switch, from 25k first week with the first game, 30k with Ryza 2, and now 31k with Ryza 3.

Playstation sales are shrinking though, from 53k with the first game, 44k with Ryza 2, and now 32k with Ryza 3.

Norion said:
Pinkie_pie said:

I wouldn't say nice boost. Probably a tiny boost. The game is also on PS4 so I don't think they are buying a PS5 jyst for resident evil 4 when they could play it on the PS4. We shall see the baseline next week but FF16 will give PS5 a nice boost.  Most likelt over 100k 

People will have bought a PS5 just for RE4. Many won't even know it's on PS4 and others will want a higher quality experience.

Don't think RE4 gave PS5 a big nice boost in Spain but we shall see in a few days whether RE4 gave PS5 a nice boost in Japan or not. If PS5 manage to sell 30k+ the week after RE4 then it wasn't a nice boost 

Pinkie_pie said:
Norion said:

Don't think RE4 gave PS5 a big nice boost in Spain but we shall see in a few days whether RE4 gave PS5 a nice boost in Japan or not. If PS5 manage to sell 30k+ the week after RE4 then it wasn't a nice boost 

To be clear I was just responding to the part about people not bothering cause they can just play it on PS4. While it does diminish the impact cross-gen games do still sell hardware.

Norion said:
Pinkie_pie said:

To be clear I was just responding to the part about people not bothering cause they can just play it on PS4. While it does diminish the impact cross-gen games do still sell hardware.

And that's why I said tiny boost