By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 13, 2023 (Mar 20 - Mar 26)

I was not expecting PS5 sales to start dropping by that much. I wonder if it is some minor shortages or pent up demand is now being met with how much stock there has been. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

half the top ten are new releases

Cool beans

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

RE4 gave the PS5 a nice boost. I am not being sarcastic.

It should be clear to everyone that these 90k weeks we've seen before weren't just for gamers in Japan, and combined with Sony's shipment target of 6.2m worldwide for the current quarter, it was only a matter of time until stock was more evenly distributed across all countries, making it less necessary to import from Japan. Pretty soon we should arrive at the point where the PS5 sells according to its actual demand in Japan.

The PS4's baseline during its best times was 25-30k when it saw a continued stream of new game releases, so it stands to reason that the PS5 will have a hard time to settle above that. In the most recent weeks we've seen drops from 90k to 75k to 65k to 40k and now it managed to hold on to 40k for a second week. RE4 can be given credit for this.

Lastly, we are approaching Japan's worst month of sales: May. Before that, there's Golden Week in April, but what used to be a notable boost for all hardware barely moves the needle nowadays. The point is, there's no need to worry too much about lower sales in the upcoming weeks, because low sales are pretty normal for that time of the year.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Healthy week for both hardware and software.
The 3 year old PS5 vs 7 year old Switch is like an ageing heavyweight champion nearing retirement vs a much younger lightweight.

Around the Network

Nintendo doesn’t deserve those sales
Give us New Donkey Kong game !!!!

RolStoppable said:

RE4 gave the PS5 a nice boost. I am not being sarcastic.

It should be clear to everyone that these 90k weeks we've seen before weren't just for gamers in Japan, and combined with Sony's shipment target of 6.2m worldwide for the current quarter, it was only a matter of time until stock was more evenly distributed across all countries, making it less necessary to import from Japan. Pretty soon we should arrive at the point where the PS5 sells according to its actual demand in Japan.

The PS4's baseline during its best times was 25-30k when it saw a continued stream of new game releases, so it stands to reason that the PS5 will have a hard time to settle above that. In the most recent weeks we've seen drops from 90k to 75k to 65k to 40k and now it managed to hold on to 40k for a second week. RE4 can be given credit for this.

Lastly, we are approaching Japan's worst month of sales: May. Before that, there's Golden Week in April, but what used to be a notable boost for all hardware barely moves the needle nowadays. The point is, there's no need to worry too much about lower sales in the upcoming weeks, because low sales are pretty normal for that time of the year.

I wouldn't say nice boost. Probably a tiny boost. The game is also on PS4 so I don't think they are buying a PS5 jyst for resident evil 4 when they could play it on the PS4. We shall see the baseline next week but FF16 will give PS5 a nice boost.  Most likelt over 100k 

TruckOSaurus said:

Big game release for PS5 but facing a hardware drop. I guess it shows the last few months were all about catching up on pent up demand and things are stabilizing now.

Yup. Sony has been flooding systems to shelves as of late and obviously there was a lot of pent up demand due to long time supply shortages, but it seems pent up demand is starting to hit saturation and sales will continue falling to wherever the natural baseline will end up being. We probably just saw the best couple months of PS5 Japan sales we'll ever see. Still, impressive there was that much pent up demand, and PS5 is clearly gonna have a great year even if baseline ends up being under 20k/week (which i expect it to be) considering they sold so much so far this year.

At least PS5 helped give Japan a strong quarter for the industry just as Switch sales are starting to slow.

Next week PS5 will probably be below 25k and slowly declining to its 15k baseline after that. FF16 should give a nice boost though.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

I know RE has never been as popular in Japan but I expected it to do a lot better than that.