By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 11 US Congressmen ask Biden Admin to pressure Japan over allowing Sony to buy console exclusivity deals

rapsuperstar31 said:
theRepublic said:

The forums on this site have been pro-Sony and pro-Nintendo for probably a decade.  You have no clue what you are talking about.

You might be right on that, but one thing I do notice whenever I come to the site, the Xbox Empire always has 50+ new posts since the last time I visited where the Playstation Nation message boards sometimes has no new posts when I come back.

You can thank Ryuu for that his such a spam bot .

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
gtotheunit91 said:

Nah man, only PlayStation and Nintendo are allowed to have exclusives, haven't you heard? Hypocrisy be damned! 

With this logic, Spider-Man should be on Xbox. Worldwide phenomenon IP. That would bring in more revenue wouldn't it?

Xbox is allowed to have their own exclusives as much as they want, please just stop buying independent publishers for that. 

Remember many of the popularity of spider man came from Sony studios investing in the IP, the movies to be exact. It was a very desperate attempt from Marvel, because they were running out of cash and needed some way to farm money. They sold X-men to Fox and Spider-Man to Sony. 

You can read the story here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/comicbook.com/marvel/amp/news/how-the-hell-did-sony-get-spider-mans-movie-rights-anyway/

I don't think Sony having the exclusivity over Spider-Man games is that unfair tbh 

Really doesn't matter about this investing part.  All the OEMs invest in the games they set for their own system.  They all play the exclusive game.  They all play the moneyhat game, they all purchase and acquire studios big or small.  This is the game being played and its not for the weak or you find yourself a Sega, Atari, Intellivision the list goes on.  Basically all you saying is play like I want you to play but if every company played that way, they would be out of business.  Sony doesn't care that Xbox only gamers will never see Spiderman or any of their only property, their stance would be get a PS5.  MS and Nintendo have the same stance.  You want to play our games, you get our system.  

The thing is nothing is unfair.  When opportunity comes, you either take it or sit their thinking what could have been.  If Bethedsa and ABK is up for sale exactly what you expect MS to do.  Say oh, Sony does not have enough money to make a bid, we should just step away.  No business is going to step away from an investment that lands at their door when they have the money to make a move.  That in itself would be dumb.  There usually no second chances which going by your on telling on the Spiderman IP.  It was stated MS had a chance first to do the game but refused.  They had a chance to get Genshin Impact on Xbox and refused.  As we have seen, refusing opportunity can cost.

Machiavellian said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Xbox is allowed to have their own exclusives as much as they want, please just stop buying independent publishers for that. 

Remember many of the popularity of spider man came from Sony studios investing in the IP, the movies to be exact. It was a very desperate attempt from Marvel, because they were running out of cash and needed some way to farm money. They sold X-men to Fox and Spider-Man to Sony. 

You can read the story here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/comicbook.com/marvel/amp/news/how-the-hell-did-sony-get-spider-mans-movie-rights-anyway/

I don't think Sony having the exclusivity over Spider-Man games is that unfair tbh 

Really doesn't matter about this investing part.  All the OEMs invest in the games they set for their own system.  They all play the exclusive game.  They all play the moneyhat game, they all purchase and acquire studios big or small.  This is the game being played and its not for the weak or you find yourself a Sega, Atari, Intellivision the list goes on.  Basically all you saying is play like I want you to play but if every company played that way, they would be out of business.  Sony doesn't care that Xbox only gamers will never see Spiderman or any of their only property, their stance would be get a PS5.  MS and Nintendo have the same stance.  You want to play our games, you get our system.  

The thing is nothing is unfair.  When opportunity comes, you either take it or sit their thinking what could have been.  If Bethedsa and ABK is up for sale exactly what you expect MS to do.  Say oh, Sony does not have enough money to make a bid, we should just step away.  No business is going to step away from an investment that lands at their door when they have the money to make a move.  That in itself would be dumb.  There usually no second chances which going by your on telling on the Spiderman IP.  It was stated MS had a chance first to do the game but refused.  They had a chance to get Genshin Impact on Xbox and refused.  As we have seen, refusing opportunity can cost.

Money hating is okay, doesn't bother be. The developers and publishers still an independent company and can choose whatever they want. They will be the ones making the profits too, so they kinda balance the power in the market 

Buying out other companies however is predatory. I wish regulators were more rigorous when blocking this kind of acquisitions. Microsoft has enough studios already, Zenimax acquisition already granted them many big titles. They shouldn't be able to buy another big publisher. 

Machiavellian said:

I have typed and deleted a similar response countless times, never to submit them.  This is better well-stated than what I was able to achieve.  My crap kept venturing into meaningless tangents where as yours is succinct.

Last edited by DroidKnight - on 29 March 2023

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

chakkra said:
Kyuu said:

My two cents: Sony likely allocate an annual "moneyhatting budget" to complement their 1st/2nd party studios which are at full capacity; budget isn't the only bottleneck. Also, they're probably not paying anywhere near enough to fund a full decent game. Some of these exclusivity deals are initiated by the 3rd party publisher who may have little faith in an Xbox version selling well and think "Hey, let's see if Sony can moneyhat us and help market our game". They won't necessarily ask for much.

Finally... part of the Playstation appeal (PS1 and PS2 in particular) was "high quality 3rd party exclusives" that may no directly sell that much (especially not on Xbox to warrant PS exclusivity) but constitute the reputation and diversity of the console's game library. Their sales figures don't reflect their full benefits; they add value upon accumulation.

Zippy6 said:

Most likely it's easier and cheaper to negotiate such a deal with a Japanese company as native sales for Xbox are almost non-existant and typically globally Japanese style games sell far more on PlayStation than Xbox even when simultaneously launched and even taking Xbox's lower installbase into account.

It's easy and cheap to persuade these companies to not release on Xbox and they do it with titles that are popular and will give them an advantage in the West.

They're not getting exclusive final fantasy to help them over Xbox in Japan, it's just not necessary. They're doing it for western markets and they'll get it cheaper than they would a third party western exclusive.

You know.. that is why I keep saying that this Activision deal is actually the best case scenario for Playstation owners. If Microsoft had decided to allocated at least 20 of those 70 billions into their moneyhat budget, they would have managed to convince quite a few developers to put their games on exclusively on Xbox, and like you said "add value upon accumulation".

And I actually agree that MS hasn't been aggresive enough on the japanese market; I mean, while it is true that it would be a lot more expensive for them to get the same exclusive deals that Sony gets, it is also true that they have the money to pull it off.

I actually disagree.  There comes to a point where the amount of money you spend does not give you the same return, especially trying to money hat games in the Japanese market when your own hardware barely sales.  The amount of money you would need to spend which is no guarantee that you would even make a dent in the market is probably pretty stiff.

I've been to Japan, the amount of games that come out for Nintendo and Sony system compared to MS is on a whole different level.  What can MS really offer to combat that type of output especially when both Nintendo and Sony has all the contacts and agreements.  This belief that you can throw a bunch of money at the problem would mean shorting efforts in other areas.  Instead I always believe MS best bet is to put that money in more developing markets as the barrier for entry is much cheaper with a better investment on your money.

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

Buying out other companies however is predatory. 

Microsoft isn't the only entity purchasing companies.  Right now it seems like if you don't try to grab everything you can, you are going to be left out in the cold.  And yes Microsoft has a lot of money to get a huge part of the available pie, but that is not a fault.  Sony and whomever else should grab up whatever is left and all that they can afford.  This isn't going to go on forever and when the dust clears there will be winners and losers.

Grab what you can now.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Machiavellian said:

Money hating is okay, doesn't bother be. The developers and publishers still an independent company and can choose whatever they want. They will be the ones making the profits too, so they kinda balance the power in the market 

Buying out other companies however is predatory. I wish regulators were more rigorous when blocking this kind of acquisitions. Microsoft has enough studios already, Zenimax acquisition already granted them many big titles. They shouldn't be able to buy another big publisher. 

Its not a question of what bothers you, I am saying what bothers a business.  For MS, as a business and in 3rd place, the investment to out money hat Sony is steep.  The market leader gains an advantage because as long as they can make these deals at a much cheaper rate, it takes twice the capitol for MS to to even compete.  So for MS, what is best for them, trying to match Sony and paying 100 million dollars for a year of exclusive which mind you was the going rate a while ago compared to taking that company out of the picture.  

What does it mean if its a publisher or a bunch of studios, its pretty much the same thing.  If Sony purchase 5 studios would that equal to most publishers output.  Either way, as far as I am concerned, I am only looking at the landscape.  3rd party lockout deals always favor the platform with the biggest install base than the smaller one because you can easily wait until that game releases but if you are the market leader it helps more to protect your market share as consumers would be less inclined to leave when they get things first.

For each OEM, any of these companies purchase a studio its off the board for another platform and none of it has anything to do with how gamers feel.  None of them care, they care about their business and you as the consumer only benefit as long as competition remains strong among them all.

DroidKnight said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Microsoft isn't the only entity purchasing companies.  Right now it seems like if you don't try to grab everything you can, you are going to be left out in the cold.  And yes Microsoft has a lot of money to get a huge part of the available pie, but that is not a fault.  Sony and whomever else should grab up whatever is left and all that they can afford.  This isn't going to go on forever and when the dust clears there will be winners and losers.

Grab what you can now.

If we look at the industry, we see a lot of veterans coming out and creating their own companies.  This to me implies that the market is healty and not focused on any single publisher or studio.  Old heads leave providing new heads a chance to shine and get their props.  Everyone is looking at the big money as gaming has taken to even bigger heights with mobile gaming actually outpacing consoles.  There are billion of devices out there that can play games so its like the gold rush.  All these companies are looking to carve out their stake.  I expect to see Apple come out with something, Google will try again, they always do.  Tencent is still grabbing everything that moves and breath.  Amazon and Netflix trying to carve out their space and the old dogs, MS, Nintendo and Sony all will be making their moves as well.  This is probably the best time to be a seasoned Dev, because so much money is out there.  There are a crap ton of games coming from all corners of the world and every players is looking to strengthen their portfolio.

Machiavellian said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Its not a question of what bothers you, I am saying what bothers a business.  For MS, as a business and in 3rd place, the investment to out money hat Sony is steep.  The market leader gains an advantage because as long as they can make these deals at a much cheaper rate, it takes twice the capitol for MS to to even compete.  So for MS, what is best for them, trying to match Sony and paying 100 million dollars for a year of exclusive which mind you was the going rate a while ago compared to taking that company out of the picture.  

What does it mean if its a publisher or a bunch of studios, its pretty much the same thing.  If Sony purchase 5 studios would that equal to most publishers output.  Either way, as far as I am concerned, I am only looking at the landscape.  3rd party lockout deals always favor the platform with the biggest install base than the smaller one because you can easily wait until that game releases but if you are the market leader it helps more to protect your market share as consumers would be less inclined to leave when they get things first.

For each OEM, any of these companies purchase a studio its off the board for another platform and none of it has anything to do with how gamers feel.  None of them care, they care about their business and you as the consumer only benefit as long as competition remains strong among them all.

As a consumer the only thing that benefits me is those companies to keep independent. Hardware manufacturing is already a monopoly, soon software production will be as well. Both Sony and Nintendo were able to get enough quality in house games that convince people their platform is superior. MS has a much better third party support than Nintendo and have pretty much all big Sony titles except few JRPGs that don't even sell 5million copies on Playstation. Yet, MS hardware sales are sub-par, disproportionately low compared to both Sony and Nintendo considering the amount of third parties secured for them. 

Microsoft buying third parties will lead to not only less diversification and less competition but also mediocre gaming output. I can't fathom how one of the biggest worlds companies were unable to release a single eventful game in over a decade. It's truly mesmerizing if you think about it 

DroidKnight said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Grab what you can now.

...or regulators could just block such acquitions and keep all big publishers independent. It's their job actually