By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How to Cope with Body Insecurity?

Radek said:

I'm 5'8" but still taller than majority of women where I live, now the question is how many of them only date 6'0 guys lol.

Sadly I don't have much hair on my head anymore, just like my father before me.

I'm 5'9''

The average height of a man from my hometown's area is 5'5'' and women are around 5'1''

A lot of women said I was too tall and a handful few that said I was too short (they were looking for someone in the 6'+ range - ironically it was only a inch difference in some cases lol (like I had someone who said they wanted someone 5'8'' or shorter".

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
Radek said:

I'm 5'8" but still taller than majority of women where I live, now the question is how many of them only date 6'0 guys lol.

Sadly I don't have much hair on my head anymore, just like my father before me.

I'm 5'9''

The average height of a man from my hometown's area is 5'5'' and women are around 5'1''

A lot of women said I was too tall and a handful few that said I was too short (they were looking for someone in the 6'+ range - ironically it was only a inch difference in some cases lol (like I had someone who said they wanted someone 5'8'' or shorter".

It's really strange that 5'8" was fine but 5'9" was too tall for that woman :o

Like the difference is so small that she would never notice.

I'm about your height, my shoe like 7.5 4E and my hands are just slightly bigger than my sister's.

It's just honestly never bothered me. Not saying that I don't have other insecurities, but the only time it bothers me is when playing guitar as it makes certain things tougher.

So, I don't really have any advice, but there's no rule that says you have to feel bad about it.

Radek said:

It's really strange that 5'8" was fine but 5'9" was too tall for that woman :o

Like the difference is so small that she would never notice.

I agree but I looked for a partner in India.

It wasnt a traditional arranged marriage but one that was mixture of what people in the west go through in dating apps/sites.

Basically signing up to a "Matrimonial" site and looking for partners - it didnt help the fact that my family was pretty much useless as I was the one who was looking for someone myself.

Listing specific information such as residence, education, job type, height, weight, skin tone, age, parents profession, religion and whether or not they had tattoos/did drugs/consume alcohol - all played a role in matchmaking.

In my experience - it was height, weight, religion and where I lived (US) that played a role. (Edit: Oh and Language).

I think I probably went through...500+ girls before I met my wife. Some of them rejected me and I rejected many - there were a few crazies I found...like this one parent who literally found out where I lived in India and what church I went to when I rejected her daughter lol - she ended up calling my church to find the reason why I rejected her daughter...it was pretty intense LOL.

But anyways, Indian (specifically Keralite/Kerala marriage steps go beyond that, its like a job interview - meeting the girl/spending time with her, then talking to her parents, then talking to her grandparents, then talking to her extended family, neighbors, etc - vice versa too. There's a lot of vetting lol.

It was pretty stressful.....lol

You probably wont go through the hell I went through hopefully lol.

You can try offsetting your small hand insecurities with other things. For example, you could hit the gym and work on getting the rest of your body toned with a six pack. 

我是广州人

Around the Network

Your hands may be a bit smaller than average, but not really so small that most people would take notice.
If somebody does spend a few seconds noticing the size of somebody else´s hands, they usually won´t distinguish finger size from over-all size.
You clearly have a psychological issue about this, so citing your own thought patterns about other people´s hands
is just not reliable source for how most people notice or think about other peoples hands. Clearly your insecurity about this issue
is what is driving you to notice other people´s hands so much (just to negatively compare yourself to them), but most people don´t do so.
I honestly couldn´t tell you the hand size of most people I know, but I also don´t think much about most people´s height.
I´m average height myself, so while I notice extremely tall or short heights, it mostly doesn´t have much weight to keep my interest.
I understand people who are especially short might notice that alot more. But like your hand issue, they are paying it more attention than people in general.

I would actually second the other comment about diet and excercise, to focus on other meaningful things about your life and body.
Being engaged in constructive project is good for one´s mentality, and you can achieve realistic progress in steps.
Since you are so focused on your hands, I might even wonder if it could help to do some strength training of your hand/fingers.
Rock climbers do that to train for holding onto tiny edges, but there is variety of low price devices, either metal spring or rubber-based (cheapest).
Those can fit in a jacket pocket and you can do it several times a day, although starting off you don´t want to over-do it.
If you have the strongest grip of any non-rock climber, that would be significant positive image to replace the negative one you have developed.

Also, don´t only focus so much on your self.
It sounds like not only do you have insecurity romantically, but in terms of platonic or general interactions.
If you can identify social project to volunteer with etc, then you have reason outside yourself to engage and interact with others.

I think finding a professional counselor can also help.
It sounds like you are at a point in your life where you realize it isn´t doing you any good to keep thinking and living like this.
And there really is no reason why you can´t try thinking and living a different way, if there is so many possibilities you are missing.

Thank you all for your posts. I have read all of them, even if I didn't respond to them all.

I will try doing some of the things you told me, perhaps my first post sounded a bit dramatic but I definitely felt much worse for the past few days.

I think will start by trying to lose weight and working out, then I will try to reflect how to move on.

Thank you all for the help.

Radek said:
Cobretti2 said:

Is it your hands that are small or your fingers? i.e. square palm and short fingers? Well if you believe that these attributes play a part in personality, just means you are a practical person vs people with long fingers who are more feeling.

My hands have square palms with shorter fingers but i got a big head which isn't good when finding hats lol. Only time I think about missing out on longer fingers is when carrying something heavy and wish they were longer to get a better grip. Other than that no one has said to me your hands look weird or whatever, so I is it just you overthinking others will mock you or has it happened?

I'm not sure, but if you look at the picture I sent you can see the palm itself is decent size but the finger lenght and width is more like children's.

I did have a lot of trouble in the past with trying to carry furniture, bigger boxes etc. because the fingers are short and the thumb is only 5,5 cm (same as short finger)

ok just saw the images, that's a polish hand if I ever seen one lol. Like looking in the mirror at my hand haha.

We all have thin hair so don't stress, most men would be in similar situation to you unless they form further south where they a bit taller over 6 foot.

My hands are pretty small for a male as well. I have made that observation at some point, but it's not something I think about constantly. I don't know if it has been a factor when dating and meeting meeting women or not. It may have been the case that I' have been denied second dates, because I've heard that a woman looks at a man's hands, but I wouldn't know. I have never heard comments about them from anyone, male or female. I have had many long relationships in my life, and was even married at one point, so it has not really been a hindrance for me.
Things of this nature tend to be bigger deals for oneself than to others, so I say don't worry about it. Don't let yourself be your biggest enemy about this. You're not alone in this, anyways. Everyone you meet will have something about their body that they are insecure about, so it kinda levels the playing field.

I don't really understand the complaint about shoe size, I'm size 13 and I have to order my shoes online cause nobody sells them in stores (stops at 12).

So yeah, decent shoe size is pretty neat actually