By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Hogwarts Legacy 267 Million Hours Played. Over 10 million players?

curl-6 said:

Given how demanding the game is on PS5/XS, Switch will either be a miracle, or a complete catastrophe. (Provided it's not straight up canceled)

We've seen Nintendo's machine pull off miracles before, with games like Witcher 3, Dying Light, Bright Memory Infinite, Doom Eternal, etc, and it's running on UE4 which has produced impressive results on Switch, but still, it will be a stiff challenge to get this running in an acceptable state on a now 6 year old portable platform.

How it runs on PS4/Xbox One will be quite telling.

The game is super great, but a technical mess indeed. And that's not really about being demanding, moslty due to the fact that it's poorly optimized. I play on PC and micro-sutters are constant. Or assets not loading fast enough. And don't forget their initial aim was to release on the same date on every platform several months ago, so I'm glad they postpone the weaker versions

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
curl-6 said:

Given how demanding the game is on PS5/XS, Switch will either be a miracle, or a complete catastrophe. (Provided it's not straight up canceled)

We've seen Nintendo's machine pull off miracles before, with games like Witcher 3, Dying Light, Bright Memory Infinite, Doom Eternal, etc, and it's running on UE4 which has produced impressive results on Switch, but still, it will be a stiff challenge to get this running in an acceptable state on a now 6 year old portable platform.

How it runs on PS4/Xbox One will be quite telling.

The game is super great, but a technical mess indeed. And that's not really about being demanding, moslty due to the fact that it's poorly optimized. I play on PC and micro-sutters are constant. Or assets not loading fast enough. And don't forget their initial aim was to release on the same date on every platform several months ago, so I'm glad they postpone the weaker versions

It definitely has some optimization issues, yeah. Still, the fact it performs as it does on hardware a generation and a half ahead of Switch suggests it'll be an uphill battle to make that version look and run acceptably. 

Not impossible though; if they can get it to hit 1080/30fps on PS4, then porting down from there could be viable. That's the performance range of a lot of successful ports.

I'm pretty sure it got very near 10M on launch week.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

PS4 and XONE versions were delayed again,

They are really having trouble with the PS4/Xbo versions. Can't imagine Switch version is going to turn out well...

Hope this doesn't end up like cyberpunk on last-gen. A mistake.

Around the Network

Yeah I'm starting to get concerned if the Switch port will be like Sonic Frontiers, WWE 2K18, or the original Ark port where it's like yeah it runs but it's kinda not worth it.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if they end up canning it to be honest, if it's taking this much extra work to get it running on stronger hardware.

Then again, who knows, when they announced Witcher 3 for Switch I was incredibly sceptical, and that turned out surprisingly good. If they can get the PS4/XBO version solid enough, that might provide a good enough stepping stone to port from there to the Switch.

My girlfriend could not wait until the Swtich release so we bought it for PS5 instead. Like it so far.
With the constant delay of the other versions I think it was a good call. The switch version might not even see the light of day.

curl-6 said:

If they can get the PS4/XBO version solid enough, that might provide a good enough stepping stone to port from there to the Switch.

I think the Switch version is being developed by another team, at least that's what they usually do

SKMBlake said:
curl-6 said:

If they can get the PS4/XBO version solid enough, that might provide a good enough stepping stone to port from there to the Switch.

I think the Switch version is being developed by another team, at least that's what they usually do

I haven't been able to find any mention of this. It seems Avalanche Software is handling all versions, unless there's some info I missed.

It may have been a better move though to pass it on to a skilled porting studio like Saber or QLOC.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 March 2023

According to WB's Senior Brand Manager, Hogwarts Legacy sold 256% bigger than planned at launch:

https://insider-gaming.com/hogwarts-legacy-sales/

It exceeded 12 million sales and $850m in two weeks.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 17 April 2023