By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft gives market share against PlayStation

Edit : double post

Around the Network
EpicRandy said:
DonFerrari said:

I do see your point and can agree that MS could take these actions and they could impact Sony, but hardly would say it would be less detrimental than loss of the benefits it have on ABK being independent.

I would agree if ABK Ips were suddenly Xbox exclusive like for the Bethesda merger but in the ABK case, we can safely say CoD is not leaving at least for 10 years and I believe it will still go Minecraft route afterward. Diablo 4 is already announced on PS5 and it have a 10years+ cycle between title so hardly any impact there for Sony. Same for Overwatch. Spyro and Crash have been historically associated with PS so doubt MS will make a new entry and not release it on PS but even then the strength of those franchise is only a shadow of what they were. Other huge IP include is Guitar hero but it have lost most of it's power and the nature of the game still make a great case for it being multiplat. Nothing in the King parts impact Sony whatsoever. And in all case Sony could deal with MS to mitigate almost all remaining issue to which MS would probably need to accept.

So I hardly see any real drawbacks for Sony except those I listed in my prior post. But in the end that's just speaking as if Xbox get to invest $69B otherwise if the deal fails, Sony is probably betting that it wont and that failure would sufficiently temper Xbox ambition.

The only real reason COD will be multiplat is because regulatory agencies got involved and Sony cried. MS indicated Bethesda games would keep releasing but then changed their wording after the deal was approved. The other IPs from ABK will be exclusive you can be sure.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

EpicRandy said:
CGI-Quality said:

I’ll believe they’re doing more when the results suggest it. Why do they need more studios right now? Where are the products from the studios they bought? I get that games take time, first hand, but everyone else is bound by that same principle and are killing it in 1st party content. Microsoft is not new to the game. As a buyer of their products, I’d like to see them do better. 2023 promises that, so they’re moving in the right direction.

Well that's depends on if you think this deals succeed or fail. But MS already stated they want 4AAA per annum and with 23 studio you might think it's possible but some are not AAA capable and other are for GaaS. So they'll have a hard time reaching this goal and resort to use heavily contractual development through Xbox Publishing studios like they are doing now which is more costly then in house dev. Now that was the goal a few years ago but it might just be 6+ AAA/year now and as a GP user I'd support such goal. 

At one point though they'll reach a limit with GamePass. The point were having more studios and pumping more AAA/year will change almost nothing since almost anybody will already have enough reason to be subscribed and so new acquisition and expansion would reach massive diminishing returns but we're far from this point. Netflix seems to have somewhat reach a plateau at 220m user but for Service like GamePass it's anybody guess 100M, 150m, 200m??.

I may also answer your questions with another : If MS believe GamePass can be the next juggernaut in gaming wouldn't they be foul not to act decisively and swiftly?

Deals both succeed and fail. That's not really the big issue, in my eyes, for them. The deals aren't the problem.

CGI-Quality said:

I’ll believe they’re doing more when the results suggest it. Why do they need more studios right now? Where are the products from the studios they bought? I get that games take time, first hand, but everyone else is bound by that same principle and are killing it in 1st party content. Microsoft is not new to the game. As a buyer of their products, I’d like to see them do better. 2023 promises that, so they’re moving in the right direction.

I believe they need more studios so that they can have at least one AAA per quarter every year.  If we think about development time to market 3 to five years for AAA content sometimes even more.  In order for GP to reach a growth where it can continue to fun big games, it must pump out high quality content to retain subs and increase the sub base.

I hear a lot of gamers talk about GP will bring down the quality of games but that really does not work for a subscription service.  When quality drops so do the subs.  When quality drops, you cannot expand your sub base.  In order to reach a sub amount where GP prints money, MS must improve GP to around 150 million subs.  Quality sustained content on a timely fashion I believe is the only way to achieve this goal and the content has to be varied to attract a diverse gaming group.

DonFerrari said:
EpicRandy said:

I would agree if ABK Ips were suddenly Xbox exclusive like for the Bethesda merger but in the ABK case, we can safely say CoD is not leaving at least for 10 years and I believe it will still go Minecraft route afterward. Diablo 4 is already announced on PS5 and it have a 10years+ cycle between title so hardly any impact there for Sony. Same for Overwatch. Spyro and Crash have been historically associated with PS so doubt MS will make a new entry and not release it on PS but even then the strength of those franchise is only a shadow of what they were. Other huge IP include is Guitar hero but it have lost most of it's power and the nature of the game still make a great case for it being multiplat. Nothing in the King parts impact Sony whatsoever. And in all case Sony could deal with MS to mitigate almost all remaining issue to which MS would probably need to accept.

So I hardly see any real drawbacks for Sony except those I listed in my prior post. But in the end that's just speaking as if Xbox get to invest $69B otherwise if the deal fails, Sony is probably betting that it wont and that failure would sufficiently temper Xbox ambition.

The only real reason COD will be multiplat is because regulatory agencies got involved and Sony cried. MS indicated Bethesda games would keep releasing but then changed their wording after the deal was approved. The other IPs from ABK will be exclusive you can be sure.

This is pure speculation.  With a billion dollar IP, we actually do not know if MS has always planned to keep COD multiplat.  If MS was only concerned about setting everything exclusive they would have done the same thing to Minecraft.  Instead, I believe MS believe having COD on GP day one is a big value proposition for gamers and keeping it multiplat insures the IP continue to bring in billions while prop up GP.  I believe you keep assuming that MS cares about the console war but I continue to state that MS has given up on that front and care about expanding GP as the definitive gaming service.  Nuking the sales of one of your biggest IP isn't always the best tactic and keeping the IP in as many gamers hands as possible insures that they could see more value in getting GP to have that game.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
EpicRandy said:

I have a feeling that Sony is in a position of power regarding this deal right now as the CMA preliminary result shows. If Sony wielded that power they could get significantly more concession especialy regarding high profile ips. But thats just my opinion and anyway we will never know as the deals and concessions periods are over.

EpicRandy said:
Machiavellian said:

Investors have no say in how MS spends their money. They have never had a say in how MS spends their money.

Would not say they have no say but yes I should have said MS not investors, Investors may have no direct say over MS way to spend but MS does over Xbox and I do not believe that if this deal fails the money return directly in Xbox pocket but in MS's one, which Xbox will then need to fight to secure back.
What I described in my previous post is only under the hypothesis that Xbox does secure it.

This deal isn't about Xbox but MS as a business.  Meaning that acquisition on this scale is a company wide decision that does not pull that money from the Xbox division but a totally different pool.  So no, if this deal does not go through it does not mean that money just sits there for Phil to grab.  It goes back to MS pool of cash they set aside for acquisitions, it could be something in gaming or something totally non gaming related.

Machiavellian said:

Also in the bigger picture, there is nothing in the short term that MS can do that will impact Sony. 

Every action MS take will end up impacting Sony but yeah if you look only short term they won't be significant.

Not really.  Nothing MS has done so far even purchasing Bethesda, putting Starfield and Redfall exclusive or Even making GP a great gaming service has really slowed Sony down one bit.  What I am talking about is significant impact that will make all of Sony execs flinch.  Even this deal landing doesn't really effect Sony in the short term and MS going on a buying spree isn't going to penetrate Sony market lead unless Sony does something really stupid.  Currently I do not see that happening.

Machiavellian said:

Sony dominance is there because they have successfully made much better decisions than MS over the years and their brand loyalty around the world. 

Completely agree though MS recent decision (2018+) have set foundation to increase their market share

Machiavellian said:

Sony would need to severely screw up in order for MS to make any real penetration in Sony market dominance. 

I agree that MS moves under Phil has been very well calculated and real improvement to the brand, but Sony mindshare is extremely strong and they have used their market dominance very successfully in keep MS at bay.

If we are talking Xbox vs PlayStation yeah, but it is GamePass that now gave MS new confidence in the Xbox division and not the Xbox hardware itself. If you use MAU instead then MS have a shot to best Sony mid to long term.

Machiavellian said:

MS always have the option to spend as much money as they want to secure developers out their so this belief that this will make a real dent I do not believe is will happen. MS best bet has always been to shake up the industry and carve out their own section instead of fighting a losing battle to out muscle Sony.

They always had to option to spent $69B but they did not until now and that's because now they have faith in GamePass and they choose to take the acquisition route but you have to take into consideration other available investment option if this route is somehow blocked. 

Machiavellian said:

MS best bet has always been to shake up the industry and carve out their own section instead of fighting a losing battle to out muscle Sony.

Yes but that's exactly what they are doing their, carve out is called GamePass and there's nothing like a good $69B shakeup be it by acquisition or other mean 😉.

Anyway none of the above actually contradict my previous post as Sony dominance does not need to end for them to be more impacted by MS reaction to the deal failing than it would be with it succeeding.

I agree on this point, I just believe that GP is a long term plan for success not in the short.  When I say long term, I am see probably 2 more generations before it really bear fruit.

Machiavellian said:
CGI-Quality said:

I believe they need more studios so that they can have at least one AAA per quarter every year.  If we think about development time to market 3 to five years for AAA content sometimes even more.  In order for GP to reach a growth where it can continue to fun big games, it must pump out high quality content to retain subs and increase the sub base.

I hear a lot of gamers talk about GP will bring down the quality of games but that really does not work for a subscription service.  When quality drops so do the subs.  When quality drops, you cannot expand your sub base.  In order to reach a sub amount where GP prints money, MS must improve GP to around 150 million subs.  Quality sustained content on a timely fashion I believe is the only way to achieve this goal and the content has to be varied to attract a diverse gaming group.

Reasonable assessment. They should have the studio count for plenty of content, but who knows, perhaps a bit more could further the ship's correction. GamePass is definitely a bread-and-butter product, so they'll continue to nurture that for sure. 

DonFerrari said:
Machiavellian said:

I see statements about MS could be using that money to build up their current studios. My question is why do you believe MS is not doing this. A number of MS studios have been hiring developers. I believe there is this perception that their is this huge pool of talented seasoned developers just sitting out their waiting to get hired but the reality is that its hard to staff up companies with quality experienced talent. It take years to accomplish that task and the two situations do not equal the same thing. Meaning that MS can still be hiring for certain studios and also seek acquisitions to build up their AAA content.

So when people say that MS can use that 70b to build up their current studios it really does not work out that way. MS as a company has pools of money for multiple different purpose. The acquisition of ABK/Blizz is not just considered a Xbox game deal but instead a company wide deal. What this deal does is give MS a huge money maker in COD, it gives them seasoned experienced developers who know how to create successful AAA games and it gives them a host of popular IPs they can dip into for continued growth.

I am not going to question if ABK/Blizz is worth 70b, as I really do not care, its not my money. I will say, that the deal does give MS a lot of very successful IP and seasoned developers and studios which is hard to achieve without a lot of time. I do not believe this deal actually makes any real difference in the current period and will not change MS position against Sony but then again, I already feel MS has lost that battle a long time ago. MS is looking at the future and have given up the console war, so why play to the strength of your competitor instead of leveraging what you do best.

To start I would point that they hadn't increased number of internal teams on their existing studios to any relevant amount, plus had a big number of firing of existing employees, some working on gaming for Microsoft for over 10 years.

Second that there is a lot of countries that it is possible to build studios from scratch that they didn't go to.

I dunno why so many try to put the purchase of ABK as a matter of hiring personnel. MS intent is buying IPs and in second or third priority the expertise of the team. Just see that after MS said CoD isn't relevant now they say the purchase wouldn't work without CoD.

And yes of course ABK isn't an investment from Xbox.

Probably because there isn't a lot of talent out their to do so.  You hire to fill holes in projects and development.  You do not just hire a bunch of people and do not have anything for them to do.  We already seen the result of that with all the layoffs.

No one said that MS could not build new studios but tell me who will run it.  How long will it take for them to get to market with a game, how talented is the pool of people you will need to man the studio.  How many heads will you need to get the project to completion.  What is the risk that even if you get all that done, that they are able to produce a high quality AAA project.  There is one thing about saying MS could build new studio, there is something totally different about getting it done within a reasonable amount of time without being a huge risk compared to just purchasing an already established studio.

The purchase of ABK fills a lot of roles, not just buying IP because without developers to bring those IP to market, it means nothing.  I do not remember MS saying that COD is not relevant, where you did you get that statement.  As for purchasing ABK being the be all for MS, I agree its not.  It was something that landed in their lap and they among a very small list of companies actually have the resources to buy ABK.  If the deal does not go through, just means they continue what they were already doing.  May mean things go slower who knows.

Machiavellian said:

Investors have no say in how MS spends their money. They have never had a say in how MS spends their money.

Also in the bigger picture, there is nothing in the short term that MS can do that will impact Sony. Sony dominance is there because they have successfully made much better decisions than MS over the years and their brand loyalty around the world. Sony would need to severely screw up in order for MS to make any real penetration in Sony market dominance. MS always have the option to spend as much money as they want to secure developers out their so this belief that this will make a real dent I do not believe is will happen. MS best bet has always been to shake up the industry and carve out their own section instead of fighting a losing battle to out muscle Sony.

Of course investors have a say on how MS uses the money, first being very obvious on if investors disagree and decide to desinvest/sell that impacts shareprice and not to forget obligation of leadership is returning value to shareholders. The second one is that major investors have positions in the board and discussion and must approve purchases of this size as far as I know.

MS stock has no voting rights.  The main person who has super voting rights is the CEO, pretty much always been that way.  MS stock is way to diverse for any one group to effect the direction of the company.  So no, I have not seen at any time and investor change or influence the direction of the company.  Its very hard to do so with how MS stock is distributed. 

CGI-Quality said:
chakkra said:

Err.. I actually said that I would like for this deal to get blocked.

The reasons why I would like for this to get blocked?

1) I don't think Activision is worth $70b and I think that GamePass gamers could be getting a lot more for that amount of money.

2) The whole media (and Sony fans) are acting like getting this deal blocked would be a victory, and I would like to see their reaction when they finally realize that this deal going thru might very well be the best case scenario for Sony (and Playstation gamers).

Err.. you said a lot of things

• FFXVI is half of their games for the near future (you do not know what is coming out)
  • The only reason Playstation is getting FFXVI and FFVIIRE as exclusives is because MS never made a better offer to SE (A. that's Microsoft's problem, and B. if it were that simple, they certainly would have tried)

Could also be that Square knows where the majority of those sales will come from and FFXVI being exclusive to Xbox is a massive risk when they don't have the units sold that Sony does (particularly in EU/JP where it is currently a slaughter). 

So, you want the deal to get blocked so they can take $70B and go on an exclusive buying spree (my error for seeing that as more pub purchases). Why wouldn't you prefer they take that money and invest in their own studios? This is what I was getting at. That should be the first line of defense and they already have plenty of studios. Why do you think Nintendo and Sony have the brand power and recognition worldwide that they do? No doubt the latter makes more exclusive deals than the former (who made many against SEGA during its 80s/90s reign), but they are no longer mainly recognized for 3rd party properties (Devil May Cry, FF, Metal Gear, Tekken, etc). That's how you nurture a brand. 3rd party deals will always happen — that's the nature of the business. But, you need to come correct with your own hand or risk being left behind and that is the situation they are in.

Game Pass can only do so much, and since a 30+% decline this early in a gen is not good, I'd prefer they stepped their game up with many of their own properties. 

Really? Are we seriously suggesting that now? What's next? Are you gonna tell me that the reason MS can't even mention Ghostwire Tokyo in a sentence is because Bethesda just thought that it would sell better on Playstation?

But hey, I'm not blaming Sony, I know that (like you keep repeating) it is all business. I mean, if it hadn't been for that Square Enyx partnership, PS gamers whould have had to wait a bit between GOW and.. Spiderman 2? So yeah, I can totally see how paying for exclusivity can fill the gaps.

And it is not about what I would prefer, it is about what would be the more realistic scenario; and if this deal is blocked I think they will have only 5 options left:

1) Make small adquisitions
2) Invest on their own studios
3) Hire more studios as 2nd parties
4) Invest more heavily into putting 3rd party releases into GP day one
5) Invest more heavily into 3rd party exclusives

Now, I don't think you need to be a genius to realize that $70b would be enough to do all five of those things; and I also think that you don't need to be a genius to realize that investing in their own studios would be the slowest option of them all. I mean, Sony just bought Bungie and Housemarquee for a reason (and Insomniac not too long ago).

So yeah, I would like for this to get blocked just so MS gets forced to focus on these other options instead.